fit sense odometer/hrm

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tim Kroeze, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Tim Kroeze

    Tim Kroeze Guest

    Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
    this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

    Thanks,

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Bumper

    Bumper Guest

    I would consider the new Nike watches, v10 or the elite if you want a HRM. Same technology
    better package.

    Polar is coming out with a SDM/HRM of their own they usually have high quality in their products,
    again same technology some discussion if it is the same as Nike-Fitsense or maybe a little better.

    I have the original Nike SDM and have never had any problems, very accurate and highly
    repeatable accuracy.

  3. In article <xtdYb.201348$U%[email protected]_s03>, Tim Kroeze wrote:
    > Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
    > this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

    I have the Fitsense, and I'm pretty happy with it. You need to calibrate it, which some people make
    a really big deal of. My experience with this was that it was actually no big deal at all -- I
    calibrated it, then used a long run on a measured course to fine-tune the initial calibration. It's
    been consistently good since then. YMMV of course. BTW, check the google archives -- this topic has
    been done to death.

    Cheers,

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I've got the fitsense and the package is great. The HRM has broken down since I sweat so much, I've
    corroded the inside of it, plus it only gets about 60hrs of battery life.

    The distance monitor itself works great, and the download capabilities and training log are slick.

    I probably wouldn't buy another one, since I would consider a GPS next.

    jOe

  5. In article <xtdYb.201348$U%[email protected]_s03>, Tim Kroeze wrote:
    > Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
    > this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

    BTW, a comment about the fitsense -- most heart rate monitors have features such as average heart
    rate and max heart rate for the session, even the basic models. The Fitsense HRM doesn't have this.
    It's fine as an odometer, but I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a HRM.

    Cheers,

  6. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Bumper wrote:

    > Polar is coming out with a SDM/HRM of their own they usually have high quality in their products,
    > again same technology some discussion if it is the same as Nike-Fitsense or maybe a little better.

    To add to the possibilities, Dynastream is teaming with Suunto also (not distance though). They
    don't say what 7 fitness parameters they are measuring though.
    http://www.dynastream.com/news/view/20/

    Dynastream is the company that does the accelerometers for Nike and for the new Polar, which I
    understand has multiple accelerometers (look at other stuff on Dynastream's web page to see how they
    work generally). I believe Fitsense did their own, and I think may only use one accelerometer,
    although their description wasn't the greatest. Not sure which company in the partnerships handles
    the integration into the product or if it's a joint effort.

    Dot

  7. David

    David Guest

    I have the Nike Triax Elite and I love it... you might want to look into
    that option. The Elite comes with PC software too so you can log all
    your runs... including graphing of HR and Pace over Time or Distance...
    it takes a sample of pace/hr every 10 seconds and uses that data to plot
    the graph. I've posted about it here before but my posts are not set to
    archive... so if you have any specific questions... just reply to this
    thread and I can answer them for you :)

    --
    Nova Scotia, Canada

  8. Dot

    Dot Guest

    David wrote:
    > I have the Nike Triax Elite and I love it... you might want to look into that option.

    Thanks. I'm probably going to wait and see what Polar's S625x turns out to be since it's got
    elevation also. I was impressed by Dynastream's technology and thinking that it might work for a
    large portion of my runs (at least I'm being suckered in by the writeup on their web page), and
    maybe even the snowshoe running, but may not xc skiing. I might try to e-mail them and ask their
    thoughts about mtn and snowshoe running. If I want really good information, like mapping a different
    trail, I might breakdown and get a gps with quad-helix antenna, but they're pretty pricey - to be
    used in addition to hrm.

    I'm in no rush since I have gadgets that sorta work, but would like to improve, but only want to
    do it once.

    Dot

  9. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    "Tim Kroeze" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:xtdYb.201348$U%[email protected]_s03...
    > Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm
    (fitsense.com)?
    > I'm thinking of going this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a
    > strong signal.

    The Fitsense wrist receiver is very large (though not in the league with the Forerunner) and high
    profile. If you have skinny wrists you might have problems.

    Jim Johnson

  10. David

    David Guest

    Hey Dot... my guess is that any Dynastream based solution would be of extremely limited use for
    anything other than normal running... no way would the current options out there work for xc skiing
    at least! :) The new Polar looks like a good bet tho'... and you know, being from Polar, the PC
    software it comes with will blow everything else (Timex, Nike and Garmin Logbook software) out of
    the water.

    --
    Nova Scotia, Canada

  11. Tim Kroeze

    Tim Kroeze Guest

    I just checked out the Polar 625x on their website. It looks like this is going to be cycling based
    with the speed sensor mounted on the bike. Does anyone know if this model will work for running
    also, I am I looking at the wrong one?

    Thanks for the help.... "Dot" <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > David wrote:
    > > I have the Nike Triax Elite and I love it... you might want to look into that option.
    >
    > Thanks. I'm probably going to wait and see what Polar's S625x turns out to be since it's got
    > elevation also. I was impressed by Dynastream's technology and thinking that it might work for a
    > large portion of my runs (at least I'm being suckered in by the writeup on their web page), and
    > maybe even the snowshoe running, but may not xc skiing. I might try to e-mail them and ask their
    > thoughts about mtn and snowshoe running. If I want really good information, like mapping a
    > different trail, I might breakdown and get a gps with quad-helix antenna, but they're pretty
    > pricey - to be used in addition to hrm.
    >
    > I'm in no rush since I have gadgets that sorta work, but would like to improve, but only want to
    > do it once.
    >
    > Dot
    >
    > --
    > "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  12. Dot

    Dot Guest

    David wrote:
    > Hey Dot... my guess is that any Dynastream based solution would be of extremely limited use for
    > anything other than normal running...

    Depending upon how sophisticated they have implemented the accelerometers, I think it may work
    better than the fitsense, which the manufacturer indicated would not work for mountain trails. My
    thinking is I want to upgrade my S410 anyway to something with multiple exercise sessions and more
    frequent storage. I was going to get the 720 for the altimeter (but it also has a bunch of bike
    stuff that I probably wouldn't use) until Anders pointed out the 625. The 625 comes with an
    altimeter and the accelerometer-based distance estimates. I'm figuring the accelerometer would be
    more useful than biking stuff and might actually work for some easy trails :)

    In general, GPS-based system would be better for what I do (multplicity of methods of forward
    motion), but I've had trouble with reception on some of my trails - sometimes the same spot, so I
    think there's some blind spots. OTOH, the gps works great 80% of the time -maybe 90% if I put it on
    top of camelbak. Maybe 98% if I got one with quad-helix antenna ;) , but there are known times when
    gps reception will be poor in any given area - even with expensive survey-grade (cm-resolution)
    devices (one of guys at work does gps/gis stuff and occasionally uses it on the farm trails where I
    run; actually I've tested gps sheep collars for him ;) ). I'd prefer the gps-based system so
    wouldn't need a footpod running through snow, mud, and puddles. I'm kinda biding my time right now
    to see what develops in the market.

    no way
    > would the current options out there work for xc skiing at least! :)

    yea, that was kinda farfetched ;) but looking at their models of walking, jogging, and running; xc
    skiing (classic) is a flatter (foot motion) version of that stuff. OTOH when breaking trail, I do
    lift my feet (unless I take the submarine approach).

    The
    > new Polar looks like a good bet tho'... and you know, being from Polar, the PC software it comes
    > with will blow everything else (Timex, Nike and Garmin Logbook software) out of the water.

    yep. That's exactly my thinking. After looking at the display of the logbook, I'm thinking Garmin
    has a ways to go. But they at least have exportable output, which was a failing of Polar in their
    original software. I still think garmin might have a hrm with their device by the time for holiday
    shopping. BUT I think that's what they tried to do with the forerunner and couldn't get the units
    out or the software. I mean, the software is up to vs 3 already. That has to rank right up (or down)
    with MS. The logbook seems uninspired - they need a user to show them what is desirable in that type
    software. But we'll see what they come up with down the line. Looks like a bunch of things are
    coming out.

    Dot

  13. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Tim Kroeze wrote:

    > I just checked out the Polar 625x on their website. It looks like this is going to be cycling
    > based with the speed sensor mounted on the bike. Does anyone know if this model will work for
    > running also, I am I looking at the wrong one?

    You might be looking at the wrong one, I think. The 625x is running based while the 720 is cycling
    based. However, the 625x does have the cycling features listed as options. The 6xx seem to be the
    running ones. It uses the Dynastream multiple accelerometer technology for estimating distance.

    Dot

  14. Mark Olson

    Mark Olson Guest

    Fitsense offers maximum, minimum and average heart rate. However, it is not accessible on the watch
    itself. It is part of the information posted to the log.

    Mark