fit sense odometer/hrm

Tim Kroeze

Guest
Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

Thanks,

Tim

I would consider the new Nike watches, v10 or the elite if you want a HRM. Same technology
better package.

Polar is coming out with a SDM/HRM of their own they usually have high quality in their products,
again same technology some discussion if it is the same as Nike-Fitsense or maybe a little better.

I have the original Nike SDM and have never had any problems, very accurate and highly
repeatable accuracy.

In article <xtdYb.201348$U%5.1078689@attbi_s03>, Tim Kroeze wrote:
> Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
> this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

I have the Fitsense, and I'm pretty happy with it. You need to calibrate it, which some people make
a really big deal of. My experience with this was that it was actually no big deal at all -- I
calibrated it, then used a long run on a measured course to fine-tune the initial calibration. It's
been consistently good since then. YMMV of course. BTW, check the google archives -- this topic has
been done to death.

Cheers,

I've got the fitsense and the package is great. The HRM has broken down since I sweat so much, I've
corroded the inside of it, plus it only gets about 60hrs of battery life.

The distance monitor itself works great, and the download capabilities and training log are slick.

I probably wouldn't buy another one, since I would consider a GPS next.

jOe

"Tim Kroeze" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xtdYb.201348$U%5.1078689@attbi_s03...
> Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm
(fitsense.com)?
> I'm thinking of going this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a
> strong signal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

In article <xtdYb.201348$U%5.1078689@attbi_s03>, Tim Kroeze wrote:
> Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm (fitsense.com)? I'm thinking of going
> this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a strong signal.

BTW, a comment about the fitsense -- most heart rate monitors have features such as average heart
rate and max heart rate for the session, even the basic models. The Fitsense HRM doesn't have this.
It's fine as an odometer, but I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a HRM.

Cheers,

Bumper wrote:

> Polar is coming out with a SDM/HRM of their own they usually have high quality in their products,
> again same technology some discussion if it is the same as Nike-Fitsense or maybe a little better.

To add to the possibilities, Dynastream is teaming with Suunto also (not distance though). They
don't say what 7 fitness parameters they are measuring though.
http://www.dynastream.com/news/view/20/

Dynastream is the company that does the accelerometers for Nike and for the new Polar, which I
understand has multiple accelerometers (look at other stuff on Dynastream's web page to see how they
work generally). I believe Fitsense did their own, and I think may only use one accelerometer,
although their description wasn't the greatest. Not sure which company in the partnerships handles
the integration into the product or if it's a joint effort.

Dot

I have the Nike Triax Elite and I love it... you might want to look into
that option. The Elite comes with PC software too so you can log all
your runs... including graphing of HR and Pace over Time or Distance...
it takes a sample of pace/hr every 10 seconds and uses that data to plot
the graph. I've posted about it here before but my posts are not set to
archive... so if you have any specific questions... just reply to this
thread and I can answer them for you :)

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

David wrote:
> I have the Nike Triax Elite and I love it... you might want to look into that option.

Thanks. I'm probably going to wait and see what Polar's S625x turns out to be since it's got
elevation also. I was impressed by Dynastream's technology and thinking that it might work for a
large portion of my runs (at least I'm being suckered in by the writeup on their web page), and
maybe even the snowshoe running, but may not xc skiing. I might try to e-mail them and ask their
thoughts about mtn and snowshoe running. If I want really good information, like mapping a different
trail, I might breakdown and get a gps with quad-helix antenna, but they're pretty pricey - to be
used in addition to hrm.

I'm in no rush since I have gadgets that sorta work, but would like to improve, but only want to
do it once.

Dot

"Tim Kroeze" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any feedback on the fit sense odometer/hrm
(fitsense.com)?
> I'm thinking of going this route as I have had problems with gps based models maitaining a
> strong signal.

The Fitsense wrist receiver is very large (though not in the league with the Forerunner) and high
profile. If you have skinny wrists you might have problems.

Jim Johnson

Hey Dot... my guess is that any Dynastream based solution would be of extremely limited use for
anything other than normal running... no way would the current options out there work for xc skiing
at least! :) The new Polar looks like a good bet tho'... and you know, being from Polar, the PC
software it comes with will blow everything else (Timex, Nike and Garmin Logbook software) out of
the water.

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

I just checked out the Polar 625x on their website. It looks like this is going to be cycling based
with the speed sensor mounted on the bike. Does anyone know if this model will work for running
also, I am I looking at the wrong one?

news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

David wrote:
> Hey Dot... my guess is that any Dynastream based solution would be of extremely limited use for
> anything other than normal running...

Depending upon how sophisticated they have implemented the accelerometers, I think it may work
better than the fitsense, which the manufacturer indicated would not work for mountain trails. My
thinking is I want to upgrade my S410 anyway to something with multiple exercise sessions and more
frequent storage. I was going to get the 720 for the altimeter (but it also has a bunch of bike
stuff that I probably wouldn't use) until Anders pointed out the 625. The 625 comes with an
altimeter and the accelerometer-based distance estimates. I'm figuring the accelerometer would be
more useful than biking stuff and might actually work for some easy trails :)

In general, GPS-based system would be better for what I do (multplicity of methods of forward
motion), but I've had trouble with reception on some of my trails - sometimes the same spot, so I
think there's some blind spots. OTOH, the gps works great 80% of the time -maybe 90% if I put it on
top of camelbak. Maybe 98% if I got one with quad-helix antenna ;) , but there are known times when
gps reception will be poor in any given area - even with expensive survey-grade (cm-resolution)
devices (one of guys at work does gps/gis stuff and occasionally uses it on the farm trails where I
run; actually I've tested gps sheep collars for him ;) ). I'd prefer the gps-based system so
wouldn't need a footpod running through snow, mud, and puddles. I'm kinda biding my time right now
to see what develops in the market.

no way
> would the current options out there work for xc skiing at least! :)

yea, that was kinda farfetched ;) but looking at their models of walking, jogging, and running; xc
skiing (classic) is a flatter (foot motion) version of that stuff. OTOH when breaking trail, I do
lift my feet (unless I take the submarine approach).

The
> new Polar looks like a good bet tho'... and you know, being from Polar, the PC software it comes
> with will blow everything else (Timex, Nike and Garmin Logbook software) out of the water.

yep. That's exactly my thinking. After looking at the display of the logbook, I'm thinking Garmin
has a ways to go. But they at least have exportable output, which was a failing of Polar in their
original software. I still think garmin might have a hrm with their device by the time for holiday
shopping. BUT I think that's what they tried to do with the forerunner and couldn't get the units
out or the software. I mean, the software is up to vs 3 already. That has to rank right up (or down)
with MS. The logbook seems uninspired - they need a user to show them what is desirable in that type
software. But we'll see what they come up with down the line. Looks like a bunch of things are
coming out.

Dot

Tim Kroeze wrote:

> I just checked out the Polar 625x on their website. It looks like this is going to be cycling
> based with the speed sensor mounted on the bike. Does anyone know if this model will work for
> running also, I am I looking at the wrong one?

You might be looking at the wrong one, I think. The 625x is running based while the 720 is cycling
based. However, the 625x does have the cycling features listed as options. The 6xx seem to be the
running ones. It uses the Dynastream multiple accelerometer technology for estimating distance.

Dot

Fitsense offers maximum, minimum and average heart rate. However, it is not accessible on the watch
itself. It is part of the information posted to the log.

Mark