Fit test

jeffgordon73

Jun 27, 2009
So I did the fit test that was built into my power meter. 20 min as hard as you can go. You have to put your weight in prior to the test. 238 pounds and after a 20 min hammer fest I ended up with a FTP of 326. Is this number any good?

jeffgordon73 said:
So I did the fit test that was built into my power meter. 20 min as hard as you can go. You have to put your weight in prior to the test. 238 pounds and after a 20 min hammer fest I ended up with a FTP of 326. Is this number any good?
Provide the meter was accurate and properly zeroed, the number is as good as any other. Didn't know power meters had built in tests.

Whether:
i. that's your actual FTP, and
ii. if you mean "Am I any good?"

are different questions though.

The former depends on how you derived FTP from your 20-min test. The latter is best answered by racing.

If you averaged 326 watts for 20 min and 108 kg that would be roughly 2.2 watts per kilo. According to Hunter Allen's Power Profile that would be low cat 5-untrained athlete.

ekrasnai said:
If you averaged 326 watts for 20 min and 108 kg that would be roughly 2.2 watts per kilo. According to Hunter Allen's Power Profile that would be low cat 5-untrained athlete.
I think it's more like 2.86 W/Kg (FTP = .95*326/108). Not bad for your first effort. Should be able to do well in flat crits.

Cool thanks for the info. I will be doing some training this winter to get ready for the spring. On the flat crits I do well. Hills yuk! Dump trucks do not go up hills fast.

jeffgordon73 said:

Was that 326 for the 20min or 326 based on your figure from the 20min I.e 344?