Fitday v. Garmin Edge - Calories Burned

May 14, 2007
I am finding that there is a pretty significant difference between my Garmin Edge 305 and the Fitday Activitity estimate for calories burned.

For example, this mornings 21 mile ride shows I burned 1293 calories on the Garmin Edge and 988 on Fitday....I entered the same time and speed into Fitday as the Garmin Edge displayed.

I realize that in all probability neither are real accurate, but does anyone have a clue as to which us more accurate?

9202 said:
I am finding that there is a pretty significant difference between my Garmin Edge 305 and the Fitday Activitity estimate for calories burned.

For example, this mornings 21 mile ride shows I burned 1293 calories on the Garmin Edge and 988 on Fitday....I entered the same time and speed into Fitday as the Garmin Edge displayed.

I realize that in all probability neither are real accurate, but does anyone have a clue as to which us more accurate?

I used fit day along with my power meter data. Fitday was pretty damn close with the cals burned. Garmin looks like a far high est. The cals burned on my polar were far fetched.

By the way. I used cycling race > 20mph no draft in Fitday activity.

9202 said:
For example, this mornings 21 mile ride shows I burned 1293 calories on the Garmin Edge and 988 on Fitday....

Unless you're really strong and weigh like 300lbs, either one of those seems quite high to me (although 988 is almost reasonable).

How long did the ride take and what kind of terrain are we talking about?

there is nothing on the garmin edge 305 i believe. it is a complete waste of money