Fitness testing

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Triinginphoenix, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Many training programs, articles, and suggested workouts rely heavily on ones knowledge of their
    respective VO2 max, lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, and so on. For those of you whom have
    actually had this tested, where did you have it done? More importantly, can someone tell me where I
    might get tested? I live in the Phoenix area, but replies need not be geographically limited. Thanks
    a million!

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I had mine done at TriSpeed, a triathlon store, in Timonium MD. I know that both their shops offer
    this. Also, Fitness Concepts, a coaching/training group have the capability.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "triinginphoenix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Many training programs, articles, and suggested workouts rely heavily on ones knowledge of their
    > respective VO2 max, lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, and so on. For those of you whom have
    > actually had this tested, where did you have it done? More importantly, can someone tell me where
    > I might get tested? I live in the Phoenix area, but replies need not be geographically limited.
    > Thanks a million!

  3. Brian Nelsen

    Brian Nelsen Guest

    Might want to check with the athletic department at your local university. Also some large medical
    providers have large Sports Medicine departments that may also provide the service. I've had mine
    done at both types of facilities.

    "triinginphoenix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Many training programs, articles, and suggested workouts rely heavily on ones knowledge of their
    > respective VO2 max, lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, and so on. For those of you whom have
    > actually had this tested, where did you have it done? More importantly, can someone tell me where
    > I might get tested? I live in the Phoenix area, but replies need not be geographically limited.
    > Thanks a million!

  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "triinginphoenix" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Many training programs, articles, and suggested workouts rely heavily on ones knowledge of their
    > respective VO2 max, lactate threshold, anaerobic threshold, and so on. For those of you whom have
    > actually had this tested, where did you have it done? More importantly, can someone tell me where
    > I might get tested? I live in the Phoenix area, but replies need not be geographically limited.
    > Thanks a million!

    Since I was a grad student in exercise science and have since worked in the field, I have had a lot
    of testing experience both in terms of lab and field based and in terms of being the subject and
    the torturer.

    You can estimate lactate threshold well enough from some practical things called races. If you are
    really fit, your 15K running pace is a decent enough estimate of pace at LT. A 40k time trial on the
    bike will give similar information especially if you are using power (that should bring Coggan into
    things). Swimmers seem to not care about LT all that much.

    A general rule is the intensity you can maintain for an hour.

    For most people, anaerobic threshold and lactate threshold are the same thing. The terms are often
    used interchangeably (although I personally despise the first term).

    If you really want a lab test, check with Arizona State University. Call the exercise science
    department to see if they offer testing for a fee or if they have any studies for which you might
    qualify (often the study will include a VO2max test). If geography really does matter, I bet I can
    get you a spot at Georgia State University in Atlanta. Might cost ~$150 for the testing (that was
    about what it cost a few years back).

    The key thing is: What will you do with the information? Impress chicks at triathlons? Set training
    guides (field tests would be just as good to me and also you can do them regularly)? Get that cool
    "I went and got myself a VO2max test" T shirt?