Fitting brake calipers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Tomlinson, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. My daughter has an old Peugeot frame that has some crappy
    nut fitting single pivot caliper brakes on it. I have some
    shimano dual pivots that are the right drop for the frame
    but are allen key fitting. Do people think it is worth, or
    is it possible, to drill out the frame so I can fit the
    dual pivots?

    Any experience of doing this out there?

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

    Tags:

  2. Mike Sales

    Mike Sales Guest

    "John Tomlinson" wrote in message
    > My daughter has an old Peugeot frame that has some crappy
    > nut fitting single pivot caliper brakes on it. I have some
    > shimano dual pivots that are the right drop for the frame
    > but are allen key fitting. Do people think it is worth, or
    > is it possible, to drill out the frame so I can fit the
    > dual pivots?
    >
    > Any experience of doing this out there?

    It's possible and worth it . The front is easy, but the rear
    demands drilling round corners. Mike Sales

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:
    > My daughter has an old Peugeot frame that has some crappy
    > nut fitting single pivot caliper brakes on it. I have some
    > shimano dual pivots that are the right drop for the frame
    > but are allen key fitting. Do people think it is worth, or
    > is it possible, to drill out the frame so I can fit the
    > dual pivots?

    It's easy and worth it.

    See: www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html - Recessed

    ~PB

  4. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:55:42 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >It's easy and worth it.
    >
    >See: www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html - Recessed
    >
    >~PB

    Of course, why do I not book an appointement with Dr
    Brown First !

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:12:06 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Of course, why do I not book an appointement with Dr
    >Brown First !

    You don't have no prescription You don't have to take no
    pills You don't have no prescription And baby don't have
    to take no pills If you come to see me Doctor brown will
    cure your ills

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Simon Daw

    Simon Daw Guest

    "Mike Sales" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    net.net... [Snipped]
    > the rear demands drilling round corners.

    Not so - just drill from the easy side, using a bit which is
    the diameter of the the cyclindrical part of the AK nut. The
    flange close to the AK socket is what does the work. Just
    make sure the bit is the right size for a good, snug fit.

    Simon

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.620 /
    Virus Database: 399 - Release Date: 11/03/2004

  7. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:19:57 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    >You don't have no prescription You don't have to take no
    >pills You don't have no prescription And baby don't have to
    >take no pills If you come to see me Doctor brown will cure
    >your ills

    James Brown?

    John "Take it to the Bridge" Tomlinson

    Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:42:12 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson
    <[email protected]>:

    >James Brown?

    Fleetwood and his Mac, "Dr Brown"

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:38:52 -0000, "Simon Daw"
    <sim[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mike Sales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >[Snipped]
    >> the rear demands drilling round corners.
    >
    >Not so - just drill from the easy side, using a bit which
    >is the diameter of the the cyclindrical part of the AK
    >nut. The flange close to the AK socket is what does the
    >work. Just make sure the bit is the right size for a good,
    >snug fit.

    This is what I did in the end. I was helped by the bridge
    having a solid boss brazed into it to take the rear brake
    caliper. I had an 8mm drill to drill out the existing 5mm
    hole in this boss. I got a good snug fit for the AK nut.

    I also drilled out the back of the fork crown to 8mm.

    All successful really - I am happy with the results. Thanks
    go all for the adivce.

    JT Remove the singers of Spam before replying