Fitting Campag Blocks ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Rollason, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I puchased
    these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips on how to replace blocks only ?

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Peter Rollason wrote:
    > At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    > puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips on how to replace blocks only ?

    Be sure the shoe is clean, the head of the screw is not protruding too much, grease the rail and the
    sliding part of the blocks. Hold the shoe in a vice, press and slide the block in gently. If it
    resists, do not use brute force (you could deform it and ruin it), but inspect as for the cause of
    it. Once it is almost all inserted, and surely past the head of the screw, push it in to the end by
    use of the vice.

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Sergio SERVADIO wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Peter Rollason wrote:
    >
    >>At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    >>puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips on how to replace blocks only ?
    >

    > Be sure the shoe is clean, the head of the screw is not protruding too much, grease the rail and
    > the sliding part of the blocks. Hold the shoe in a vice, press and slide the block in gently. If
    > it resists, do not use brute force (you could deform it and ruin it), but inspect as for the cause
    > of it. Once it is almost all inserted, and surely past the head of the screw, push it in to the
    > end by use of the vice.

    & make sure they're pointed the correct direction when you put them in the calipers.

  4. peter-<< At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips on how to replace blocks only ?

    Push the old ones out, spray a little simple green on new ones, slid them
    in....

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    > puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips
    on
    > how to replace blocks only ?

    Everyone seems to do this the hard way. Remove the wheels. Use a thin, slot screwdriver to pry/lift
    the old pads out while brakes/holders are mounted to the bike. Don't bother trying to slide them.
    Wet the new pads or a light spritz of 409 inside the holders to help them slide in.

    Robin Hubert

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    > puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips
    on
    > how to replace blocks only ?

    You don't mention the model of brake (nut? bolt?). When removing the rubber is difficult, mount the
    brake pad holder in a vise, gripping a sacrificial 6mm nut or bolt as the case may be in the vise
    jaws. Now you have both hands free to push or prise the rubber out. A spray of silicone or wax often
    helps when sliding the new ones in but rinse off the surface when you're finished.

  7. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At great expense I have purchased replacement brake blocks - due to the extorninate cost I
    > puchased these without the shoes. Anyone got any tips
    on
    > how to replace blocks only ?

    As my Campag blocks have lasted about 24000kms so far, I don't find their price
    extortionate. Mark Lee