Fitting Deore V-Brakes

DG55

Jul 26, 2003
Im having a few problems fitting my new Deore V-Brakes to my Suntour fork. The instructions say that I should fit the stopper pin into the centre spring hole on the fork, but when I do this there is hardly any force in the spring.

I have tried putting the stopper pin in the top spring hole on the fork, but then there is way too much force in the spring, so much infact, that the brake cable slips no matter how tight I connect it.

Has anyone got any advice? Am I doing somthing wrong?

Thanks

Use the middle hole. You should be able to tighten the cable clamp so tight it wouldn't let the cable slip if you were hanging from it. There may be something fishy there. There should not be a ton of resistance from the spring when you are installing them. I keep wondering why you can't get the clamp tight on the cable. Try it in the middle hole and make sure the clamp is making good contact with the cable. Let us know how it goes.

K.

Hmm... Well I suppose that I could do it up tight enough to stop it slipping, but it seems that its just too tight in that specific hole, and just doesnt seem right at all. Also, its harsh on the hand while pulling the brake lever when the resistance is so tight.

(By the way, It is actually the top hole that is causing too much resistance. The middle hole isnt causing enough resistance. Just clearing that up.)

I have half-sorted it out at the moment. What I have done, is I am using the brake on the middle hole, but adjusting the tension adjustment screws to their highest level. This is the closest I can get to ideal brake conditions, although it is still slightly loose for my liking, and also it adds problems with later adjustment, since the movement of the screws is severely limited because they have been tightened to their highest setting.

I think you will have to play with the tension adjuster screws and hole locations to get the right combination and still allow tension adjust. I had a similar experience and got the set up perfect after trying a few combinations of hole locations and tension screw positions. Also, check the spring mounting barrel on the brake arm itself, if I remember correctly, some of the older models had multiple mounting holes in them as well. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember something of that nature. I have not seen the newer Deore models although I am running XT V-brakes on my MTB's. Good luck!