Fitting drum brake to chainstay without braze-ons

Johan Bornman

Guest
I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.

What are my options?

Johan Bornman

On Aug 24, 11:07 am, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.
>
> What are my options?

Clamp.

On Aug 24, 6:19 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 11:07 am, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> > has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.

> > What are my options?

> Clamp.

OK, I should have expected that. How do you get the wheel off then?

JB

On Aug 24, 1:37 pm, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 6:19 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 24, 11:07 am, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> > > has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.

> > > What are my options?

> > Clamp.

> OK, I should have expected that. How do you get the wheel off then?

Unscrew the clamp. It's been the way things have been done with
coaster/drum brakes since the time of the Egyptians. I guess some
bikes might have a brazed on tab for this, but all my bikes have used
a clamp.

Johan Bornman wrote:
> I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.
>
> What are my options?

Simple.
Brake arm clip (as with coaster brakes); any LBS. Between $1 and $2.

If it is thinwall tube, a steel pad under the clip (SA makes a nice one)
may prevent the tube kinking under brake load.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Johan Bornman wrote:
> OK, I should have expected that. How do you get the wheel off then?

I have a 6mm allen key and a 10mm box wrench for mine. On our rental
tandem there's a wingnut and a captive nylock nut. YMMV
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:07:40 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Johan Bornman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
>has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.
>
>What are my options?
>
>Johan Bornman

Assuming that your bike is painted, *I* would sandblast, braze it on,
and then repaint. Lesser mortals would use a clamp... intelligent
beings would probably do likewise.

Ask yourself: what would Jesus do?

He'd repaint, and shim no more!!!

Jones

(Sometimes, I actually embarrass myself.)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:17:09 -0000, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Aug 24, 1:37 pm, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Clamp.

>> OK, I should have expected that. How do you get the wheel off then?
>>

>Unscrew the clamp. It's been the way things have been done with
>coaster/drum brakes since the time of the Egyptians. I guess some
>bikes might have a brazed on tab for this, but all my bikes have used
>a clamp.

The joy of the braze on is that no unclamping it needed the arm just slides into
and out of it's notch.

Ron

!Jones wrote:
> Assuming that your bike is painted, *I* would sandblast, braze it on,
> and then repaint. Lesser mortals would use a clamp... intelligent
> beings would probably do likewise.
> Ask yourself: what would Jesus do?
> He'd repaint, and shim no more!!!
> Jones
> (Sometimes, I actually embarrass myself.)

I'd want to know the wall thickness of that chainstay first. A clamp
with a broad steel pad under it may be a better idea.
--

On Aug 24, 4:35 pm, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Assuming that your bike is painted, *I* would sandblast, braze it on,
> and then repaint. Lesser mortals would use a clamp... intelligent
> beings would probably do likewise.
>
> Ask yourself: what would Jesus do?
>
> He'd repaint, and shim no more!!!
>
> Jones
>
> (Sometimes, I actually embarrass myself.)

Great Ghu, I actually read that and winced. I'm going to H-E-double-
hockey-sticks for sure.

Jeff

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:23:33 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech JeffWills
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I actually read that...

You do me great honor, sir!

Have you read anything else recently?

Jones

On Aug 24, 6:07 pm, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.
>
> What are my options?
>
> Johan Bornman

Thanks everyone. A clamp with wingnut it is then.

JB

On Aug 26, 1:23 am, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 6:07 pm, Johan Bornman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to fit an Arai drum brake to a tandem but the left chainstay
> > has no obvious fittings for securing the reaction arm.

> > What are my options?

> > Johan Bornman

> Thanks everyone. A clamp with wingnut it is then.

I wouldn't mount Jonah Goldberg on my bike--but to each his own.