fitting tyres on Brompton/where to buy replacement inner tube (grrr!)

davek

Guest
I fitted a new tyre to the Brompton the other day. Christ, that was hard
work. I snapped one of my Park tyre levers in the process - v.annoying
but not half as annoying as the fact that I managed to puncture the
inner tube in three places in the process.

So, after removing the tyre again, patching the tube and going through
the whole blessed rigmarole of refitting the tyre, I pump it up and all
looks fine and dandy...

Until the next morning I come to get the bike out of the garage and the
tyre is flat again. Pah!

So, two questions:
1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?
2. Where's a good online source of replacement inner tubes for Brompton?
(I know a couple of 'proper' shops where I can get some, but it will be
hard for me to get to them any time soon - especially without use of the
Brompton...)

d.

davek wrote:

> So, two questions:
> 1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?

If there is one other than patience in the face of frustration I
don't know it... at least I didn't destroy any levers, but I did
worry I might,

> 2. Where's a good online source of replacement inner tubes for Brompton?
> (I know a couple of 'proper' shops where I can get some, but it will be
> hard for me to get to them any time soon - especially without use of the
> Brompton...)

Usually order mine from Kinetics. Ben's been a bit snowed under
recently and the mail order has been a touch unreliable, but as
long as you specify it's urgent and you need them yesterday I
imagine you'll soon see them in short order.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I fitted a new tyre to the Brompton the other day. Christ, that was hard
> work. I snapped one of my Park tyre levers in the process - v.annoying
> but not half as annoying as the fact that I managed to puncture the
> inner tube in three places in the process.
>
> So, after removing the tyre again, patching the tube and going through
> the whole blessed rigmarole of refitting the tyre, I pump it up and all
> looks fine and dandy...
>
> Until the next morning I come to get the bike out of the garage and the
> tyre is flat again. Pah!
>
> So, two questions:
> 1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?
> 2. Where's a good online source of replacement inner tubes for Brompton?
> (I know a couple of 'proper' shops where I can get some, but it will be
> hard for me to get to them any time soon - especially without use of the
> Brompton...)
>
> d.

Dave,

As someone who's broken three levers while changing a Brompton tyre, you
have my sympathy.

I'm not sure what trick there might be... what I *do* know is that I
recently changed my tyre after the sidewall was worn away, exposing the
steel wire that supports the rim. The tyre I got as a replacement seems less
'rigid' and seems a lot easier to change. It certainly is a lot easier to
get off the rim - this was the most problematic aspect of changing the old
tyre.

I think it's the struggle trying to prise the tyre off the rim that may have
caused you to puncture your inner tube. With your 'rigid' tyre, I'd suggest
using three *steel* levers to do this. Prise the tyre off the rim with one,
and anchor it to a rim spoke. Prise more of the tyre off with another lever,
about 2-3 inches from the first, and anchor that lever too. Then you'll find
it easier to prise the tyre off completely using the third lever at a point
2-3 inches from either lever.

As to ordering replacements, I do that from Evans Cycles' web site.

--
Akin

(aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +0100,
davek <[email protected]> wrote:
> I fitted a new tyre to the Brompton the other day. Christ, that was hard
> work. I snapped one of my Park tyre levers in the process - v.annoying
> but not half as annoying as the fact that I managed to puncture the
> inner tube in three places in the process.
>
> So, after removing the tyre again, patching the tube and going through
> the whole blessed rigmarole of refitting the tyre, I pump it up and all
> looks fine and dandy...
>
> Until the next morning I come to get the bike out of the garage and the
> tyre is flat again. Pah!
>
> So, two questions:
> 1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?

Some things I've found: When getting the tyre off get as much air as
possible out of the inner tube (if it's gone flat overnight then there
will still be quite a lot of air in there) and when putting the tyre
back on do not put _any_ air into the tube until the tyre is on. If it's
a tube you've patched rather than a new tube then roll it up tight
starting away from the valve so that there is no air in there before you
start.
(You then need to put a tiny amount in and work around the tyre to make
sure you haven't pinched the tube anywhere before you pump it up hard)

Make sure the bead of the tyre is seated right down in the centre of the
rim on the opposite side to where you are trying to get the last bit of
bead on (and if possible, while trying to get the tyre off as well
although this is hard to do because there's usually still too much air
in the tube for it to stay there while you are fiddling with the tyre
levers)

I always finish at the valve because this is where the innertube is most
likely to get pinched and by pushing the valve in as you press the tyre
over the rim you can usually prevent this

Tim.

and there was light.

davek wrote:

> So, after removing the tyre again, patching the tube and going through
> the whole blessed rigmarole of refitting the tyre, I pump it up and all
> looks fine and dandy...
>
> Until the next morning I come to get the bike out of the garage and the
> tyre is flat again. Pah!

Damn, damn and triple damn.
I too struggled with mending a back wheel Brommie puncture yesterday - and
guess what.
This morning it is flat :-((

John B

In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]>
writes

>Damn, damn and triple damn.
>I too struggled with mending a back wheel Brommie puncture yesterday - and
>guess what.
>This morning it is flat :-((

I must be lucky with fixing my Brommie punctures, then. Not broken
anything yet.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

congokid wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]>
> writes
>
> >Damn, damn and triple damn.
> >I too struggled with mending a back wheel Brommie puncture yesterday - and
> >guess what.
> >This morning it is flat :-((

> I must be lucky with fixing my Brommie punctures, then. Not broken
> anything yet.

This morning things got worse. The wheel and tensioner were removed and I
extracted the puntured tyre to find that the rubber that goes half-way up the
valve had been scuffed - probably against the wheel's valve hole. It meant the
tube was for the bin - it already had six patches anyway.

A brand new tube was put in, checked for pinching, then pumped up hard.
It exploded with a loud bang. On examining it there was a split about 30mm
long - it must have been faulty.

An old puntured tube was rescued from the bits box and mended.
After struggling again with the back wheel and the tensioner, the Brommie is
now back on the road.

SWMBO was not impressed by the cursing, the oily hands, nor the request to
loosen the purse strings so I could buy a new model, as this one is clearly
trying to tell me its time for retirement :-(

If the damn tyre is flat again in the morning....

John B

Epetruk wrote:
> As someone who's broken three levers while changing a Brompton tyre, you
> have my sympathy.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else that replied. At least I know I'm
not the only one that's had this problem... :)

d.

davek wrote:
> Epetruk wrote:
>> As someone who's broken three levers while changing a Brompton tyre, you
>> have my sympathy.

> Thanks, and thanks to everyone else that replied. At least I know I'm
> not the only one that's had this problem... :)

What might be useful info is what sort of tyre are we all using? Mine
are Marathons, perhaps Brom's own are easier, or if not then perhaps the
Marathon may be a good idea by way of needing to come off less often to
start with (last removal on mine was complete replacement for tyre wear
rather than a puncture).

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> What might be useful info is what sort of tyre are we all using? Mine
> are Marathons

I did wonder about that. I'm on Marathons too. I considered trying the
Stelvios but after four months of 12 daily miles of commuting, I've not
had a single p+nct+re yet (apart from the ones I inflicted myself while
changing the tyre) so am happy to stick with Marathons for that reason
alone.

The bike was second hand, so the tyres were already part-worn (hence
why I already need to replace the rear, which is now completely bald)
but the lack of patches on the tube suggests the previous owner never
had to fix a p+nct+re either. The front still has plenty of tread left
on it.

Btw, I remembered there is an Evans by Victoria station so I was able
to call in for some spare tubes on the way into work this morning -
very handy, even if it did mean paying Evans prices...

d.

> So, two questions:
> 1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?

VAR tyre fitting tool.

<URL:http://tinyurl.com/ks5h7>

Life - loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.

davek wrote:

> Peter Clinch wrote:
> > What might be useful info is what sort of tyre are we all using? Mine
> > are Marathons

> I did wonder about that. I'm on Marathons too. I considered trying the
> Stelvios but after four months of 12 daily miles of commuting, I've not
> had a single p+nct+re yet (apart from the ones I inflicted myself while
> changing the tyre) so am happy to stick with Marathons for that reason
> alone.

i've presently using the Brompton standard tyre and seem to have hit a
black patch regarding punctures [1] but have some Marathons on order from
my LBS, following recommendations here.

[1] not only on the Brommie as I suffered 3 flats on my Hutchinson Excels
(on my Roberts) yesterday too :-((

John B

Dave Larrington wrote:
> VAR tyre fitting tool.

Looks interesting. I have ordered one and shall report back later.

d.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > VAR tyre fitting tool.

> Looks interesting. I have ordered one and shall report back later.

It will, of course, help to deter You Know Who. She has visited the
trike but once since I bought mine, and said tool /did/ make short work
of getting the tyre back on. And of fitting three new ones not long
thereafter.

Odd, is it not, how all roads lead inexorably to David Icke?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:51:49 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>A brand new tube was put in, checked for pinching, then pumped up hard.
>It exploded with a loud bang. On examining it there was a split about 30mm
>long - it must have been faulty.

Loud bangs are generally (always?) an indication that the tube has
escaped from the confines of the tyre. No longer restrained it
expands _really_ quickly and bursts. You might want to make sure the
tyre is properly fitted and in good nick - I've had the tube escape
through a slit in the tyre wall before.

Hope the above doesn't sound too condescending.

Tim

On 1 Aug 2006 03:54:42 -0700, "davek" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Larrington wrote:
>> VAR tyre fitting tool.

>Looks interesting. I have ordered one and shall report back later.

You know sliced bread? It's much much better than that.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:51:49 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >A brand new tube was put in, checked for pinching, then pumped up hard.
> >It exploded with a loud bang. On examining it there was a split about 30mm
> >long - it must have been faulty.

> Loud bangs are generally (always?) an indication that the tube has
> escaped from the confines of the tyre. No longer restrained it
> expands _really_ quickly and bursts. You might want to make sure the
> tyre is properly fitted and in good nick - I've had the tube escape
> through a slit in the tyre wall before.

That's what I had thought had happened - which usually also results in a burst
tyre casing but not ithis time.
The tyre is getting pretty thin but has very few nicks.

> Hope the above doesn't sound too condescending.

Not at all.
I do have Marathons on order tho'.

John B

davek wrote:

> I fitted a new tyre to the Brompton the other day. Christ, that was hard
> work. I snapped one of my Park tyre levers in the process - v.annoying
> but not half as annoying as the fact that I managed to puncture the
> inner tube in three places in the process.
>
> So, after removing the tyre again, patching the tube and going through
> the whole blessed rigmarole of refitting the tyre, I pump it up and all
> looks fine and dandy...
>
> Until the next morning I come to get the bike out of the garage and the
> tyre is flat again. Pah!
>
> So, two questions:
> 1. Is there a trick to fitting tyres on small wheels?
> 2. Where's a good online source of replacement inner tubes for Brompton?
> (I know a couple of 'proper' shops where I can get some, but it will be
> hard for me to get to them any time soon - especially without use of the
> Brompton...)
>
> d.

I wish I'd read this thread a couple of hours ago. Maybe I'll order a var
tool. I'm putting marathons on my Brompton too, and they are a bugger to
get on. I've killed two inner tubes now.

I think the p+nct*re fairy must really have it in for me today. I've got a
'puncture' in a pair of rubber gloves too...
--
Chris

Tim Hall wrote:
> You know sliced bread? It's much much better than that.

So I gather. I vaguely recall reading of these things before in previous
URC discussions, but never having had a need for anything more cleverer
than a conventional tyre lever until now, I didn't pay much notice...
just been browsing the archives (which I guess is what I should have
done in the first place) and turned up a several of enthusiastic
recommendations.

I look forward to receiving mine (although I did last night manage to
get the tyre on using conventional levers, so won't have an excuse to
use it immediately).

d.

[email protected] wrote:

> Besides ,the max weight Brompton rider is 110Kg, right. (me 89Kg)
> Why Schwalbe site says that marathon 16" 1 3 / 8 can support only 75Kg

try using two tyres ;)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen