fitting v-brakes - help?

boarderstu

Oct 31, 2005
there is always someone who cant tighten their brakes properly, and today that happens to bee me.

i have tightened them using the cable, but they refused to spring back, took them apart put back together, now it all springs back - without the cable attached..

when i attach the cable and pull the brake lever, it doesn't spring back, just rubs on the tires..

anyone got any ideas or online instructions?

cheers!

boarderstu said:
when i attach the cable and pull the brake lever, it doesn't spring back, just rubs on the tires..

Sounds like the cable isn't moving freely in its sheath. Either buy a new set and install as the old one, OR pull the cable from the sheath, wipe clean, lube sparingly and reinstall.

On second thoughts you might want to check the noodle. They usually come with a plastic sleeve that can wear out and jam. In that case replacing the noodle should sort your problem out.

dabac said:
Sounds like the cable isn't moving freely in its sheath. Either buy a new set and install as the old one, OR pull the cable from the sheath, wipe clean, lube sparingly and reinstall.

On second thoughts you might want to check the noodle. They usually come with a plastic sleeve that can wear out and jam. In that case replacing the noodle should sort your problem out.
ok u've kinda lost me there....

im new to bicycle repair..

noodle? and what bit is the sheath..?

--edit-- right mate, i've added a video that i just took of the rear v-brake to show u exactly what is happening :)

http://boarderstu.coolinc.info/214/storage/DSCF0301.AVI

its v small and dark, but u can see whats going on (or not going on!)

boarderstu said:
ok u've kinda lost me there....

im new to bicycle repair..

noodle? and what bit is the sheath..?

--edit-- right mate, i've added a video that i just took of the rear v-brake to show u exactly what is happening :)

http://boarderstu.coolinc.info/214/storage/DSCF0301.AVI

its v small and dark, but u can see whats going on (or not going on!)
The noodle is the small piece of curved steel tubing at the top of one of the V-brake arms. The sheath, also called the outer cable, is the thick cable that the inner wire or cable runs through. If cleaning those out doesn't work, try the adjustment screws on each V-brake arm. Screwing them in increases the spring tension aswell as alignment problems. If that doesn't work, make sure you've put the spring back in properly. If that doesn't work, swear loudly at them, bin them, and buy new brakes!!!:D