Fitz's Challenge

djali

New Member
Jul 31, 2003
Just wondering if anyone is considering doing Fitz's Challenge in Canberra this year. Any tips for newbies-what are your best times? I understand Fitz's Hill (2.6 km at 10.4%) is a bit of a killer-what about the descent going home?

The course has changed this year because the Cotter Bridge is still out after the bushfires. More
details at http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/fitz/fitz2003/fitz.html. AFAIK Fitz's Hill is still
in it. According to my altimeter speedo Fitz's Hill is actually 2.4km at an average gradient of
12.5% with a max gradient of 16%. But that isn't the steepest part of the course. You can see a
graph of altitude and percent gradient that I took off the speedo after last years event at
http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.

Nick

"djali" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering if anyone is considering doing Fitz's Challenge in Canberra this year. Any tips for
> newbies-what are your best times? I understand Fitz's Hill (2.6 km at 10.4%) is a bit of a
> killer-what about the descent going home?

Fitz's Hill is still in.

There are 3 rides that day...

Fitz's challenge is 150km, Tharwa Challenge is 90km and Tanners Challenge is 45km.

Plenty of hills in any of those rides ;-)

More info is available at: www.pedalpower.org.au/events

Cheers, Rob

Originally posted by Nick Payne
The course has changed this year because the Cotter Bridge is still out after the bushfires. More
details at http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/fitz/fitz2003/fitz.html. AFAIK Fitz's Hill is still
in it. According to my altimeter speedo Fitz's Hill is actually 2.4km at an average gradient of
12.5% with a max gradient of 16%. But that isn't the steepest part of the course. You can see a
graph of altitude and percent gradient that I took off the speedo after last years event at
http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.

Hey that looks like a cool bike computer to generate that sort of info..what are you using?