Five days in Scotland over Easter?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Andy Howell, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    Where would you go? I don't want to be carrying axes and crampons. This
    weather is stopping me book the sleeper. Where would you go for a five day
    place to place hike over Easter?

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

    Tags:

  2. Andy Howell wrote:

    > Where would you go? I don't want to be carrying axes and crampons.
    > This weather is stopping me book the sleeper. Where would you go
    > for a five day place to place hike over Easter?

    We've done Scotland at Easter for years and have had absolutely
    everything from blistering drought to impenertrable blizzards. Its
    very hard to say what the weather will be like but a place that is
    handy
    for a variety of different landscapes and activities would be a good
    bet. Ullapool, for example, or even Mull although if the weather is
    fierce you might not get to an island!

    IMO

    Chris

  3. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Andy Howell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:C0462770.49525%[email protected]
    > Where would you go? I don't want to be carrying axes and crampons. This
    > weather is stopping me book the sleeper. Where would you go for a five day
    > place to place hike over Easter?

    You could get away with Ben/Glen Nevis and Ring of Steall, so long as you
    accept that there will be snow on the top and you need to take care.
    Because every year is different in terms of snow cover, I couldnt say what
    it is like now but I have been up both that and Ben Nevis at Easter with no
    probs. It all comes down to whether you are happy with tourist track for BN
    and whether you feel confident enough on snow without crampons/axe.

    Other than that I guess Arrochar Alps might be good.

    Rob

  4. > You could get away with Ben/Glen Nevis and Ring of Steall, so long as you
    > accept that there will be snow on the top and you need to take care.
    > Because every year is different in terms of snow cover, I couldnt say what
    > it is like now but I have been up both that and Ben Nevis at Easter with no
    > probs. It all comes down to whether you are happy with tourist track for BN
    > and whether you feel confident enough on snow without crampons/axe.

    Since Nevis the highest mountain in scotland and the Uk I suggest you TAKE
    an axe and crampons. The avg july temp for the nevis summit is 5degs.

    > Other than that I guess Arrochar Alps might be good.

    The Cobbler, Narnain and Ime are steep so may require an axe.

    Stay below 2000ft and you should be snow free.

    Ardnamurchan is supposedly nice but flat or the southern upland way.

    Nick

  5. Nick (Scots) wrote

    > Ardnamurchan is supposedly nice but flat or the southern upland way.

    Ardnamurchan is wonderful but you don't really go there for the
    hills. Somewhere in Ardgour would put you within reach of some
    nice hills if the weather is good. Its still a bit of a haul to Ardnamurchan
    point from there but it does offer some pretty good non-mountainous
    walking along the coastline if the weather's bad.

    Chris

  6. I'd stick to the lower Cairngorms base yourdelf in Braemar at the YH -
    loads of great walks from there, either high level or low level
    depending on the weather. Otherwise, how about round the Loch Lomond
    Area, a great YH at Rowerdennan and countless walks in the area
    Angus