five sided allen key

medindexer

Mar 26, 2006
I've bought a 2nd hand Marin hawk hill bike which has 5 sided `allen-type' key. Could you tell me where to get these (cheaply if possible - I can imagine them being charged highly for). Thanks

Never heard of one of those. It's probably going to be easiest to get the bolt out with an extractor and replace it with something more standard.

definitely 5 sided (e.g. saddle post and handlebar post). I was told it was for security to stop anyone stealing stuff with a standard allen key. I have one key but want a spare. I've seen the discussed by car and bike people on googling but didn't find where to get one.

I don't thinks it's a torx key, nor the BMW tool (not sure but can't tell). It's definitely designed just to stop the saddle being stolen (turns out the one for the handlbar post going into the front stem - whatever you call it is the standard 6 side). Someone told me they are preciously guarded so as to stop anyone easily obtaining them - may have to go back to the manufacturer. Any more help still appreciated.

medindexer said:
I don't thinks it's a torx key, nor the BMW tool (not sure but can't tell). It's definitely designed just to stop the saddle being stolen (turns out the one for the handlbar post going into the front stem - whatever you call it is the standard 6 side). Someone told me they are preciously guarded so as to stop anyone easily obtaining them - may have to go back to the manufacturer. Any more help still appreciated.
If you have detailed specs, you can probably get a good machine shop to knock out about 5 of them for an hour's labor + materials. Actually, you should have them make you 100 and then sell the rest on Ebay.

RapDaddyo said:
If you have detailed specs, you can probably get a good machine shop to knock out about 5 of them for an hour's labor + materials. Actually, you should have them make you 100 and then sell the rest on Ebay.
Hmmmm. doesn't exactly seem to be an enormous market out there though.

medindexer said:
definitely 5 sided (e.g. saddle post and handlebar post). I was told it was for security to stop anyone stealing stuff with a standard allen key. I have one key but want a spare. I've seen the discussed by car and bike people on googling but didn't find where to get one.

Is it a 5 sided hex or a star. At any rate if its a hex (like an allen is a hex) I think a star or TS-5sided may work altho proly not as strong as a hex. Try cranbrook tools (cranbrooktools.co.uk).

hd reynolds said:
Is it a 5 sided hex or a star. At any rate if its a hex (like an allen is a hex) I think a star or TS-5sided may work altho proly not as strong as a hex. Try cranbrook tools (cranbrooktools.co.uk).
Thanks for the advice