Five World Cup trivia questions

Tony

Guest
1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two of
the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?

2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series.
Who is he?

3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?

5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

1. Of of them I think was Johan Musseuw last year (París-Roubaix and HEW Classic) but I don't know
the other. Tony <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
[email protected]...
> 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two
> of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?
>
> 2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series. Who
> is he?
>
> 3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?
>
> 4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?
>
> 5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

[email protected] wrote:

Zabel is a good answer for several questions.

> 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two
> of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?

Zabel

> 2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series. Who
> is he?

Fondriest

> 3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

Zabel, Musseeuw, Bugno, PVP, ...

> 5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

Some guessing: Musseeuw, Zabel, Bugno, Bortolami, Bartoli, Tafi, Tschmil, Sörenson, Jalabert,
Rominger, certainly many missing ...

Dieter

[email protected] (Tony) wrote:

>1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two
> of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?

There's more than that. Just off the top of my head: Bartoli 2002 Museeuw 2002 Rebellin 1998?
Ferrigato 1996 But I am sure there's more

>2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series. Who
> is he?

Fondriest

>3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

>4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?

48?

>5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

10: Museeuw, Zabel, Bartoli, Tafi, Bettini, Tchmil, Bugno, Gianetti, Bortolami, Ballerini

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Dieter Buerssner wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> Zabel is a good answer for several questions.
>
> > 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won
> > two of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?
>
> Zabel

Bartoli ?

[email protected] (Tony) wrote:

>3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

Wondering about it, I think I also have all the doubles

1990 Bugno (M-SR and Wincanton) 1995 both Museeuw (Ronde and Amstel) and Bortolami (Wincanton and
Zurich) 1996 Ferrigato (San Sebastian and Wincanton?) 1997 Rebellin (San Sebastian and Zurich) 1998
Bartoli (LBL and Zurich) 2000 Zabel (M-SR and Amstel) 2001 Zabel (M-SR and Hamburg) 2002 both
Museeuw (P-R and Hamburg) and Bartoli (Amstel and Lombardy) 2003 van Petegem (LBL and P-R)

I think Museeuw has another double either in '93 (when he won his 1st Ronde) or '96 (when he won
his 1st P-R) I don't remember exactly the years in which he won Zurich, one was for sure '94, but
the other?

Anyway the total number of doubles should be 12

Errrrmm... Ah yes! http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.com/

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Tony) wrote:
>
> >3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?
>
> Wondering about it, I think I also have all the doubles
>
> 1990 Bugno (M-SR and Wincanton) 1995 both Museeuw (Ronde and Amstel) and Bortolami (Wincanton and
> Zurich) 1996 Ferrigato (San Sebastian and Wincanton?) 1997 Rebellin (San Sebastian and Zurich)
> 1998 Bartoli (LBL and Zurich) 2000 Zabel (M-SR and Amstel) 2001 Zabel (M-SR and Hamburg) 2002 both
> Museeuw (P-R and Hamburg) and Bartoli (Amstel and Lombardy) 2003 van Petegem (LBL and P-R)
>
> I think Museeuw has another double either in '93 (when he won his 1st Ronde) or '96 (when he won
> his 1st P-R) I don't remember exactly the years in which he won Zurich, one was for sure '94, but
> the other?
>
> Anyway the total number of doubles should be 12

Museeuw didn't win the Amstel in '95, but he did win the Ronde and Zurich that year. He won
Amstel in 1994.

I'm guessing that no-one has won three world cups in one year.

cheers, Jeff

Salva Souto wrote:
> 1. Of of them I think was Johan Musseuw last year (París-Roubaix and HEW Classic) but I don't know
> the other.

Van Petegem. Flanders and PR this year.

Davide Tosi wrote:

> 2003 van Petegem (LBL and P-R)

Is that a prediction?

> 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two
> of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?

Definitely Mirko Celestino who won Hamburg and Lombardy in 1999 but who didn't even get ranked
in the worldcup overall standing because he didn't participate at enough worldcup races during
that season.

There are more than 2 riders who did that ( i also remember Museeuw 2x, Bartoli, Gianetti,
Ferrigato)

[email protected] (Tony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won two
> of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?

Actually it's FIVE men, (not two- my typo) and it's happened six times 1993 Museeuw (2 wins-Rvv and
Paris-Tours) Fondriest wins overall 1995 Gianetti (2 wins-Liege and Amstel) Museeuw wins overall
1996 Ferrigato (2 wins-Zurich and Leeds) Museeuw wins overall 1997 Rebellin (2 wins-san Sebastien
and Zurich) Bartoli wins overall 1999 Celestino (2 wins-HEW and Lombardy) Tchmil wins overall 2002
Museeuw (2 wins-Roubaix and HEW) Bettini wins overall

> 2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series. Who
> is he?

Maurizio Fondriest, 1991

> 3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

It's happened 13 times

1990 Bugno (Milan, Leeds) 1993 Museeuw (RVV, Paris-Tours) 1994 Bortolami (Zurich, Leeds) 1995
Gianetti (Liege, Amstel) 1995 Museeuw (RVV, Zurich) 1996 Ferrigato (Zurich, Leeds) 1997
Rebellin (San Sebastien, Zurich) 1998 Bartoli (Liege, Zurich) 1999 Celestino (HEW, Lombardy)
2001 Zabel (Milan, HEW) 2002 Museeuw (Roubaix, HEW) 2002 Bartoli (Amstel, Lombardy) 2003 Van
Petegem (RVV, Roubaix)

> 4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?

51 Italian World Cup wins (since 1989 format)

7 Milan San Remo wins 5 Ronde van Vlaanderen wins 5 Lige-Bastogne-Liege wins 2 Amstel Gold Race wins
2 HEW Cyclassics wins 5 San Sebastien wins 7 Zurich wins 3 paris-Tours wins 5 Giro di Lombardia wins
(7 wins in the former various English round versions- Leeds and Rochester)

> 5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

11 riders have won 3 or more World Cup races (since 1989 format)

11 Museeuw 6 Zabel 5 Bartoli 5 Tafi 4 Bugno 3 Bettini 3 Bortolami 3 Jalabert 3 Sorensen 3 Tchmil 3
Van Lancker 3 Van Petegem

Tony wrote:

> [email protected] (Tony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > 3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?
>
> It's happened 13 times
>
> 1990 Bugno (Milan, Leeds) 1993 Museeuw (RVV, Paris-Tours) 1994 Bortolami (Zurich, Leeds) 1995
> Gianetti (Liege, Amstel) 1995 Museeuw (RVV, Zurich) 1996 Ferrigato (Zurich, Leeds) 1997 Rebellin
> (San Sebastien, Zurich) 1998 Bartoli (Liege, Zurich) 1999 Celestino (HEW, Lombardy) 2001 Zabel
> (Milan, HEW) 2002 Museeuw (Roubaix, HEW) 2002 Bartoli (Amstel, Lombardy) 2003 Van Petegem (RVV,
> Roubaix)

How about Fondriest winning Zurich and Milan in '93?

Mark

in article [email protected], Kurgan Gringioni at

> "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] (Tony) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>> 2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series. Who
>>> is he?
>>
>> Maurizio Fondriest, 1991
>

> Fondriest is the master of The Hollow Victory.
>

> Winning the WC without winning a race.
>
> Winning Worlds when Criq and Bauer ran into each other.

If it wasn't for Jalabert, he'd have won more races.

Adam

"Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BAC4974D.53B6%[email protected]...
> in article [email protected], Kurgan
Gringioni
> at [email protected] wrote on 4/17/03 4:48
PM:

> >> Maurizio Fondriest, 1991
> >
> > Fondriest is the master of The Hollow Victory.
> >
> > Winning the WC without winning a race.
> >
> > Winning Worlds when Criq and Bauer ran into each other.
>
> If it wasn't for Jalabert, he'd have won more races.

HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA., That's a pretty good one Adam. Fondriest could have won more if better riders
weren't all around him. :)

[email protected] (Tony) wrote

>> 4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?
>
>51 Italian World Cup wins (since 1989 format)
>
>7 Milan San Remo wins 5 Ronde van Vlaanderen wins 5 Lige-Bastogne-Liege wins 2 Amstel Gold Race
>wins 2 HEW Cyclassics wins 5 San Sebastien wins 7 Zurich wins 3 paris-Tours wins 5 Giro di
>Lombardia wins (7 wins in the former various English round versions- Leeds and Rochester)
>

>> 5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?
>
>11 riders have won 3 or more World Cup races (since 1989 format)
>
>11 Museeuw 6 Zabel

He won 7 (4 M-SR, 1 Amstel, 1 Paris Tours, 1 Hamburg)

>5 Bartoli

He won 6 (2 LBL, 1 Ronde, 1 Zurich, 1 Amstel, 1 Lombardy)

>5 Tafi 4 Bugno 3 Bettini

He won 4 (2 LBL, 1 Zurich, 1 M-SR)

>3 Bortolami 3 Jalabert 3 Sorensen 3 Tchmil

He won 4 (1 P-R, 1 Ronde, 1 M-SR, 1 Paris-Tours)

>3 Van Lancker 3 Van Petegem

About the last 2 questions, I think you forgot about three more races that apperead in World Cup,
just once or twice. These are: The America's GP (took place in Canada in '89-'90) The Japan Cup The
Henninger Turm

These are relevants because: Ballerini won the America's GP (this is +1 for total italian wins and
adds Franco among the pepole that won at least 3 World Cup races) I think Van Lancker won the
America's GP as well (takes him from 3 to 4 WC wins) Gianetti won the Japan Cup (puts him too in the
3+ group) Frattini won the Henninger Turm when it was in the World Cup (+1 for the italian total)

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BAC4974D.53B6%[email protected]...
> > in article [email protected], Kurgan
> Gringioni
> > at [email protected] wrote on 4/17/03 4:48
> PM:

> > > Fondriest is the master of The Hollow Victory.
> > >
> > > Winning the WC without winning a race.
> > >
> > > Winning Worlds when Criq and Bauer ran into each other.
> >
> > If it wasn't for Jalabert, he'd have won more races.
>
> HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA., That's a pretty good one Adam. Fondriest could have won more if better riders
> weren't all around him. :)

He could have won more if he didn't have so many problems with his back.

> The America's GP (took place in Canada in '89-'90)

The GP America was a worldcup race from 1989 till 1992 (winners: J. Müller, F. Ballerini, E. Van
Lancker, F. Echave)

> The Japan Cup, The Henninger Turm. These are relevants because: Ballerini won the America's GP
> (this is +1 for total italian wins and adds Franco among the pepole that won at least 3 World Cup
> races) I think Van Lancker won the America's GP as well (takes him from 3 to 4 WC wins)

In 1991 Eric Van Lancker won the Wincanton Classic and GP America but he didn't win the Overall
Wordcup, that was Fondriest. Van Lancker won Amstel Gold Race, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Wincanton
CLassic and GP America

> Gianetti won the Japan Cup Frattini won the Henninger Turm when it was in the World Cup

This is all correct. These were the wordcup races each year: 1989-1992: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders,
Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian, Paris-Tours, Lombardy,
GP Amerika, Wincanton Classic 1993-1994: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix,
Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian, Paris-Tours, Lombardy, Leeds Classic
1995: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, L-B-L, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian,
Paris-Tours, Lombardy, Rund Um Den Henninger Turm Frankfurt, Leeds Classic
1996: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, L-B-L, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian,
Paris-Tours, Lombardy, Leeds Classic, Japan Cup
1997: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, L-B-L, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian,
Paris-Tours, Lombardy, Rochester Classic 1998-2003: Milan-Sanremo, Flanders, Paris-Roubaix,
L-B-L, Amstel Gold Race, Zürich, San Sebastian, Paris-Tours, Lombardy, HEW Hamburg