Five World Cup trivia questions

> > 1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, two different riders have won
> > two of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall. Who are they?
>
> Actually it's FIVE men, (not two- my typo) and it's happened six times

No, it happened, 7 times: Eric Van Lancker won Wincanton and GP America in 1991 and not he overall
standing (Fondriest)

> > 5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

This is the complete result without any errors

11 Museeuw 7 Zabel 6 Bartoli 5 Tafi 4 Bugno, Van Lancker, Tchmil, Jalabert, Bettini 3 Sörensen,
Ballerini, Bortolami, Kelly, Gianetti, Van Petegem 2 Van Hooydonck, Rominger, Maassen, Argentin,
Chiappucci, Durand, Duclos-Lasalle, Fondriest, Jaermann, Richard, Minali, Ferrigato, Rebellin,
Casagrande, Camenzind, Celestino, Dekker

1 Fignon, Wampers, Zadrobilek, Bauer, Nijdam, Müller, E. Planckaert, Van Der Poel, Indurain, Mottet,
Delion, M. Madiot, Capiot, De Wolf, Ludwig, Alcala, Ekimov, Redant, Ghirotto, Echave, Volpi, Furlan,
Berzin, De Las Cuevas, Bobrik, Armstrong, Faresin, Sciandri, Frattini, Colombo, Zanini, Bölts,
Guesdon, Riis, Van Bon, Vandenbroucke, Boogerd, Gwiazdowski, Wauters, Dufaux, Rumsas, Missaglia,
Knaven, Virenque, Di Luca, Cipollini, Frigo, Piil

> This is the complete result without any errors
>
> 11 Museeuw 7 Zabel 6 Bartoli 5 Tafi 4 Bugno, Van Lancker, Tchmil, Jalabert, Bettini 3 Sörensen,
> Ballerini, Bortolami, Kelly, Gianetti, Van Petegem

This all means nothing because Jonathan Vaughters says that George Hincapie is the best classics
rider in the world (this month's Cycle Sport). -Mike

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> This all means nothing because Jonathan Vaughters says that George
Hincapie
> is the best classics rider in the world (this month's Cycle Sport).

What, at the moment?

Please tell me JV's sentence is taken out of context...

Jeff

With additional info and edits from Davide and Kenny, I've made some corrections (and thanks for
your help). I think it's right now, but feel free to make any corrections.

1. Since the inception of the current World Cup scheme in 1989, SEVEN different riders (on
8 occasions) have won two of the World Cup races in the same year but not the overall.
Who are they?

1991 Van Lancker (Winacton and GP Americas) Fondriest wins overall

1993 Museeuw (2 wins-Rvv and Paris-Tours) Fondriest wins overall

1995 Gianetti (2 wins-Liege and Amstel) Museeuw wins overall

1996 Ferrigato (2 wins-Zurich and Leeds) Museeuw wins overall

1997 Rebellin (2 wins-san Sebastien and Zurich) Bartoli wins overall

1999 Celestino (2 wins-HEW and Lombardy) Tchmil wins overall

2002 Museeuw (2 wins-Roubaix and HEW)
Bettini wins overall

2002 Bartoli (2 wins-HEW and Lombardy) Bettini wins overall

2. Only one man has won the overall World Cup without winning one single race in the series.
Who is he?

Maurizio Fondriest, 1991

3. How many times has a rider won two of the World Cup races in the same year?

It's happened 16 times 1990 Bugno (Milan, Leeds) 1991 Van Lancker (Wincanton, GP Americas) 1993
Fondriest (Milan, Zurich) 1993 Museeuw (RVV, Paris-Tours) 1994 Bortolami (Zurich, Leeds) 1995
Gianetti (Liege, Amstel) 1995 Museeuw (RVV, Zurich) 1996 Ferrigato (Zurich, Leeds) 1997 Rebellin
(San Sebastien, Zurich) 1998 Bartoli (Liege, Zurich) 1999 Celestino (HEW, Lombardy) 2000 Zabel
(Milan, Amstel 2001 Zabel (Milan, HEW) 2002 Museeuw (Roubaix, HEW) 2002 Bartoli (Amstel, Lombardy)
2003 Van Petegem (RVV, Roubaix)

4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?

52 or 53 Italian World Cup wins (since 1989 format) (depending on whether you consider Sciandri's 95
win at Leeds as an Italian win)

7 Milan San Remo wins 5 Ronde van Vlaanderen wins 3 Paris-Roubaix wins 5 Liege-Bastogne-Liege wins 2
Amstel Gold Race wins 2 HEW Cyclassics wins 5 San Sebastien wins 7 Zurich wins 3 Paris-Tours wins 5
Giro di Lombardia wins 2 Wincanton wins 3 (or 4 w/ Sciandri) Leeds wins 1 Rochester win 1 Henniger
Turm win 1 GP Americas win

5. How many men have won 3 or more World Cup races?

15 riders have won 3 or more World Cup races (since 1989 format)

11 Museeuw 7 Zabel 6 Bartoli 5 Tafi 4 Bugno 4 Bettini 4 Jalabert 4 Tchmil 4 Van Lancker 3 Ballerini
3 Bortolami 3 Gianetti 3 Kelly 3 Sorensen 3 Van Petegem

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Mike Owens wrote:

> > This is the complete result without any errors
> >
> > 11 Museeuw 7 Zabel 6 Bartoli 5 Tafi 4 Bugno, Van Lancker, Tchmil, Jalabert, Bettini 3
> > S=F6rensen, Ballerini, Bortolami, Kelly, Gianetti, Van Petegem
>
> This all means nothing because Jonathan Vaughters says that George Hincap=
ie
> is the best classics rider in the world (this month's Cycle Sport). -Mike

How can you be the best classics rider in the world if you aren't even the best classics rider on
your own team?

-CM

Jeff Jones wrote:
> "Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>

>> This all means nothing because Jonathan Vaughters says that George Hincapie is the best classics
>> rider in the world (this month's Cycle Sport).
>
> What, at the moment?
>
> Please tell me JV's sentence is taken out of context...

What would be the context in which that comment makes sense?

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > This all means nothing because Jonathan Vaughters says that George
> Hincapie
> > is the best classics rider in the world (this month's Cycle Sport).
>
> What, at the moment?
>
> Please tell me JV's sentence is taken out of context...
>
> Jeff

April 2003, p. 121. "George is the strongest bike racer alive today. He's by far the strongest
Classics rider. One on one, he'd blow the doors off Johan Museeuw, Andrea Tafi and whoever else,..."

I guess I've been wrong the last 15 years watching Ballerini, Museeuw, Bartoli, Tchmil, Tafi,
Bettini, van Petegem, et al. win the monuments multiple times. -Mike

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> April 2003, p. 121. "George is the strongest bike racer alive today.
He's
> by far the strongest Classics rider. One on one, he'd blow the doors off Johan Museeuw, Andrea
> Tafi and whoever else,..."
>
> I guess I've been wrong the last 15 years watching Ballerini, Museeuw, Bartoli, Tchmil, Tafi,
> Bettini, van Petegem, et al. win the monuments multiple times. -Mike

Obviously they just had a lucky day. Or eleven.

Jeff

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Adam Hodges Myerson" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> > news:BAC4974D.53B6%[email protected]...
> > > in article [email protected], Kurgan
> > Gringioni
> > > at [email protected] wrote on 4/17/03
4:48
> > PM:

> > > If it wasn't for Jalabert, he'd have won more races.
> >
> > HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA., That's a pretty good one Adam. Fondriest could
have
> > won more if better riders weren't all around him. :)
>
> He could have won more if he didn't have so many problems with his
back.

Yeah, the other Italians kept stabbing him in it.

> 4. Italians have won the most World Cup races. How many?
>
> 52 or 53 Italian World Cup wins (since 1989 format) (depending on whether you consider Sciandri's
> 95 win at Leeds as an Italian win)

This is a country based list of World Cup Wins. I considered Sciandri as British when we won
Leeds in 95.

1. Italy: 52 victories
2. Belgium: 34
3. France: 15
4. Switserland: 13
5. Germany, Holland: 9
6. Denmark: 5
7. Russia, Ireland: 3
8. Ukraine, Spain: 2
9. Great-Britain, Austria, Lithuania, USA, Mexico, Canada, Poland: 1

> > > HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA., That's a pretty good one Adam. Fondriest could
> have
> > > won more if better riders weren't all around him. :)
> >
> > He could have won more if he didn't have so many problems with his
> back.
>
> Yeah, the other Italians kept stabbing him in it.

No, because of his weak back he had problems riding on cobbles. That's why Flanders and Roubaix
didn't fit him well. It was his back that made him quit after he felt he couldn't ride the results
no more as he used to do.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > have
> > >
> > > He could have won more if he didn't have so many problems with his
> > back.
> >
> > Yeah, the other Italians kept stabbing him in it.
>
> No, because of his weak back he had problems riding on cobbles. That's why Flanders and Roubaix
> didn't fit him well. It was his back that made him quit after he felt he couldn't ride the results
> no more as he used to do.

I feel his pain.

I would have won many World Cup races if it weren't for my bad hip.

K. Gringioni rbr masters national champion

[email protected] (Tony) wrote:

>52 or 53 Italian World Cup wins (since 1989 format) (depending on whether you consider Sciandri's
>95 win at Leeds as an Italian win)

It shouldn't, since in '95 he was already racing with a Brit license (he always had double
nationality)

[email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

>This is a country based list of World Cup Wins. I considered Sciandri as British when we won
>Leeds in 95.
>
> 1. Italy: 52 victories
> 2. Belgium: 34
> 3. France: 15
> 4. Switserland: 13
> 5. Germany, Holland: 9
> 7. Denmark: 5
> 8. Russia, Ireland: 3
>10. Ukraine, Spain: 2
>12. Great-Britain, Austria, Lithuania, USA, Mexico, Canada, Poland: 1

In which nations are counted Tchmil victories? I think that when he won P-R he still was racing with
Moldavian licence.

[email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>
> >This is a country based list of World Cup Wins. I considered Sciandri as British when we won
> >Leeds in 95.
> >
> > 1. Italy: 52 victories
> > 2. Belgium: 34
> > 3. France: 15
> > 4. Switserland: 13
> > 5. Germany, Holland: 9
> > 7. Denmark: 5
> > 8. Russia, Ireland: 3
> >10. Ukraine, Spain: 2
> >12. Great-Britain, Austria, Lithuania, USA, Mexico, Canada, Poland: 1
>
> In which nations are counted Tchmil victories? I think that when he won P-R he still was racing
> with Moldavian licence.

He had a Ukrainian license when he won P-R and Paris-Tours, he became a Belgian in 1998 and he won
M-S in 99 and Flanders in 2000