Fix for inner tube leak at valve stem?

Michael Press

Guest
An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
one of these leaks?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
> sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
> one of these leaks?

Patch 'n glue?

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
> sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
> one of these leaks?
>
> --
> Michael Press

It's trash. Get a new tube.

Cal

In article <[email protected]>,
"CEarly" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
> > sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
> > one of these leaks?
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press
> >

> It's trash. Get a new tube.
>
> Cal

Paid good money for that tube. Only two patches. Bastards think
we're made out of money.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "CEarly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
>>>sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
>>>one of these leaks?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Michael Press
>>>

>>It's trash. Get a new tube.
>>
>>Cal

> Paid good money for that tube. Only two patches. Bastards think
> we're made out of money.

there's a loctite that sticks butyl rubber. 404? google for the right
one & see if it works.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:46:22 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
>sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
>one of these leaks?

There's no fix for this in my experience. Replace the tube.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Michael Press wrote:
> An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
> sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
> one of these leaks?

I tried super glue on one of these leaks. Good super glue, not the
tiny little tubes you can get at the store. Cyanoacrylate.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=2086&FamilyID=346 It
worked, sort of. I tested it by pumping it up to see if it held air.
And it did. But I then threw it away because I just did not trust it
would hold once I put it in a tire an put 130 psi in it and rode it. I
figured it was not worth the likely hassle of fixing a flat on the side
of the road.

As others said, get a new tube.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:10:18 -0700, "CEarly" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> An inner tube is leaking at the point where the rubber should be
>> sealed against the presta valve stem. Do you all know how to seal
>> one of these leaks?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Press
>>

>It's trash. Get a new tube.

Once as an experiment I fixed one of these leaks with Superglue
(cyanoacrylic adhesive). As I recall it lasted about 400 miles. :)

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) I tested it by pumping it up to
see if it held air. And it did. But I then threw it away because I just did
not trust it (clip)
Most C/A glue is brittle, and I would not expect it to hold indefinitely.
However, I have heard of some formulations that contain an additive that
makes it flexible. I'm not willing to sacrifice a good tube in the name of
science, but I think it would be interesting to try a tube that's junk
anyway. Who knows, it might even work on punctures, and make patches
obsolete. It might be useful for other emergency repairs as well.