Fix tacoed wheel?

Dave Mennenoh wrote:
> Can a mildly tacoed wheel be fixed? I can true a wheel pretty well, but my
> front wheel is not so much out of true as it is tacoed - the thing is, all
> the spokes are tight... so I'm not sure where to begin.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Dave -
> www.blurredistinction.com/director
> www.macromedia.com/go/team

I've tacoed wheels on the trail and brought them back into rough shape
by removing them from the bike, taking the wheel in both hands,
bringing it up over my head and WHANGING it down onto the trail a whole
bunch of times. It actually works remarkably well.

/s

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dave Mennenoh wrote:
>> Can a mildly tacoed wheel be fixed? I can true a wheel pretty well, but
>> my
>> front wheel is not so much out of true as it is tacoed - the thing is,
>> all
>> the spokes are tight... so I'm not sure where to begin.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> --
>> Dave -
>> www.blurredistinction.com/director
>> www.macromedia.com/go/team

> I've tacoed wheels on the trail and brought them back into rough shape
> by removing them from the bike, taking the wheel in both hands,
> bringing it up over my head and WHANGING it down onto the trail a whole
> bunch of times. It actually works remarkably well.
>
> /s

yep, it'll certainly get it right enough to get you out....

but you might have to give up the front brakes anyway...

Dave Mennenoh wrote:
> Thanks - but essentially it's in "rough" shape now. I made it out fine - I
> run disc brakes so there was no rubbing issue. What I'm wondering now is can
> the wheel be brough back into true or is it time for a new wheel?
>
> --
> Dave -
> www.blurredistinction.com/director
> www.macromedia.com/go/team

The integrity of that rim has been compromised beyond repair to be of
practical use. Replace the rim, preferably with the same kind of rim,
or one that has the same diameter at the spoke holes so you can reuse
the old spokes and save a few bucks (if the spokes are still good).

JD

Dave Mennenoh said:
Can a mildly tacoed wheel be fixed?

Years ago I had a tacoed rear wheel once that wouldn't clear the chainstays. The LBS straightened it out into rolling shape by retensioning the spokes, but of course it provided an unsteady ride afterwards. One boring winter evening I disassembled the rim from the spokes and straightened it out by bending it "counter-taco" by placing it across a plank on the floor and then pushing down on the high sections until the rim was able to lie flat on the floor again.

Then I reassebled the wheel, which took to trueing rather well. Such a rough treatment SHOULD have weakened the rim, but by now that wheel has seen several years of regular use and it's still holding up.

dabac wrote:
> Dave Mennenoh Wrote:
> > Can a mildly tacoed wheel be fixed?

> Years ago I had a tacoed rear wheel once that wouldn't clear the
> chainstays. The LBS straightened it out into rolling shape by
> retensioning the spokes, but of course it provided an unsteady ride
> afterwards. One boring winter evening I disassembled the rim from the
> spokes and straightened it out by bending it "counter-taco" by placing
> it across a plank on the floor and then pushing down on the high
> sections until the rim was able to lie flat on the floor again.
>
> Then I reassebled the wheel, which took to trueing rather well. Such a
> rough treatment SHOULD have weakened the rim, but by now that wheel has
> seen several years of regular use and it's still holding up.

Don't fool yourself, pal. It did weaken the rim and significantly so.
The big hole in your story is "several years of regular use". What you
consider regular use may not be what others consider regular use. I've
never had a rear wheel last "several years of regular use", even if it
was not tacoed.

JD