Fixed, but not track

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted Bennett, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    I plan to add a fixed gear bike to my stable this spring, but rather than a track bike, I want
    something with a little more relaxed geometry and more tire/fender clearance. No, I don't want a
    converted derailer frame for esthetic reasons. Such a bike is uncommon; the closest I've found is

    http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/steamroller.htm

    Sheldon Brown advertises it on his website as a close-out at a great price, but unfortunately not in
    my size. (Sheldon, will you wheel and deal if I buy some of the rest of the components from you?)

    Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at?

    TIA

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I plan to add a fixed gear bike to my stable this spring, but rather than a track bike, I want
    > something with a little more relaxed geometry and more tire/fender clearance. No, I don't want a
    > converted derailer frame for esthetic reasons. Such a bike is uncommon; the closest I've found is
    >
    > http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/steamroller.htm
    >
    > Sheldon Brown advertises it on his website as a close-out at a great price, but unfortunately
    > not in my size. (Sheldon, will you wheel and deal if I buy some of the rest of the components
    > from you?)
    >
    > Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Ted Bennett Portland OR

    I've been hearing that the Cannonade track isn't as aggressive, but I haven't ridden one to confirm
    or deny this.

    If you go to www.drunkcyclist.com, he's got some links to singlespeed builders. I think Kelly builds
    one, Vanilla may, and a few others that escape my mind.

    Mike

  3. ted-<< I plan to add a fixed gear bike to my stable this spring, but rather than a track bike,

    http://www.somafab.com

    for a 'Rush'-made to be a road fixie-

  4. Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > No, I don't want a converted derailer frame for esthetic reasons.

    I found a 10 speed in very good shape that had the components like the
    D/T shifters etc as bolt on clamps so once I removed them and ground off the derailer hanger I had a
    clean, good looking frame, all for $70.

  5. On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 01:50:52 -0500, Mike S. wrote:

    >> Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at?

    > I've been hearing that the Cannonade track isn't as aggressive, but I haven't ridden one to
    > confirm or deny this.

    I saw one of these, and they really seem to be fied-gear road bikes. Bottle bosses, brakes, etc. The
    geometry is not a touring bike, but most road frames are as steep and short as a track bike anyway.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  6. Mike Prybell

    Mike Prybell Guest

    I did the same thing,used an old Trek 880. Seems any old road frame with 126 spacing and horizontal
    dropouts will make a great fixed gear. The first time you "forget" you don't have a freehub and try
    and coast is always interesting LOL.

    Mike P

    "Mike Latondresse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > No, I don't want a converted derailer frame for esthetic reasons.
    >
    > I found a 10 speed in very good shape that had the components like the
    > D/T shifters etc as bolt on clamps so once I removed them and ground off the derailer hanger I had
    > a clean, good looking frame, all for $70.

  7. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:42:05 -0800, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I plan to add a fixed gear bike to my stable this spring, but rather than a track bike, I want
    >something with a little more relaxed geometry and more tire/fender clearance. No, I don't want a
    >converted derailer frame for esthetic reasons. Such a bike is uncommon; the closest I've found is
    >
    >http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/steamroller.htm
    >
    >Sheldon Brown advertises it on his website as a close-out at a great price, but unfortunately
    >not in my size. (Sheldon, will you wheel and deal if I buy some of the rest of the components
    >from you?)
    >
    >Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at?
    >
    >TIA

    The On-One Pompino

    http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/ilpompino.shtml

    http://www.on-one.co.uk/graphics/products_f/pompino_urban_decay-800.jpg

    has got good reviews over here as a go anywhere fixie, takes big tyres (700x28 with fenders, 700x35
    without, depending on which fork you choose), and it's fairly cheap at £245GBP (about $400+ customs
    duty) for the frame and fork shipped to the US. This makes it a bit more expensive than the
    Steamroller, but you get fender and luggage rack eyes, and V-brake bosses at both ends so you can
    use a flip flop hub with a freewheel on the other side if you want to. I think the powder blue paint
    is nicer than the surly baked bean colour, but YMMV. Haven't actually seen many in action as I work
    in London where the fixed wheel messengers favour cheaper track frames from the likes of Fort, Veto
    and Fondriest.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  8. Twobooglie

    Twobooglie Guest

    There are a lot of older derailluer bikes around from the 1970s - many available for next to nothing
    - that can be converted easily. Some of these older ones have clamp-on shift levers and cable
    guides, so you don't have the ugly unused bosses when you convert to fixed gear. The only remaining
    clue that the bike was designed for a derailluer is the right rear dropout - and you can fix that
    with a hacksaw and a file. My personal favorite: early 70s Raleigh Professional.