Fixed Clog Install Question

slinea3

Jul 14, 2010
Hi,

First post, I did a search and did not find much. I have bought a singlespeed with a "flip-flop" hub. My intention was to throw on a fixed clog and be on my way... it is far more complicated than I thought.

I have ordered the fixed clog, but upon its arrival I found that I needed a locking ring (makes perfect sense, guess I had hoped that would be part with the clog). I also find that I will need at least a few specialized tools to make this install complete.

I guess my question is; am I missing anything else that I'm going to need to complete this install

- Clog
- Lockring
- Special Wrench (for gear/ring install)
- Chain Whip tool

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

slinea3 said:
I guess my question is; am I missing anything else that I'm going to need to complete this install
To state what may be obvious, you just need to know that the lock ring has a LEFT HAND thread ...
I only mention this because I've seen people who should know better who did not realize/remember that one-particular-thread-or-another is not a 'normal' Right Hand thread.
BTW. While it may take a little longer than using a chain whip, you can remount the wheel & chain in your bike's frame ... then, turn the crank backwards while holding the wheel steady, and that should loosen the cog ... OR, hold the crank steady & turn the wheel forward to loosen the cog.

i dont know how to install a clog
clog.jpg

but i can help you install a cog
IMG_3008.jpg

the cog will tightens clockwise while the lockring tightens counter-clockwise so that when you resist the turning of your rear wheel, instead of taking the track cog off by turning it counter clockwise and you die. it turns the lockring counterclockwise as well which actually tightens it. as for tools, you can rotafix the track cog on and use a friends lockring spanner. also, be sure to know the process of mounting the rear tire to ensure proper chain tension.