Fixed/Fixed & Fixed/Free hubs??

Avahi29

Feb 1, 2006
I've just built my own SS commuter. SJS cycles frame, few bits from eBay, chopped and flopped bars, carbon forks (the only ones I could get in 1" threadless) and the wheels off my old geared bike with a cheap converter kit. It's kind of ended up with a red and black theme, even down to the seat (Specialized BG2 sport), entirely unitentionally. I started out with a different frame (in blue) which didn't work this time around.

Now what I want to do is replace the cassette based rear hub with a specific SS one.

Firstly, my frame has a 130 rear spacing and most SS hubs I've seen are track based and therefore 120 spaced. I'ves een a couple of 130 options, namely Goldtec, and I think you can re-space Ambrosio ones, but are there any other options, preferably without re-sizing my rear drops.

Secondly, of the hubs I've seen many are described as double fixed, I think the Goldtecs are, and some as fixed/free. What I'd like to know is; what's the difference and can I run a screw on freewheel on one side? I'd like to try a bit of fixed, but not being entirely suicidal figured it may not always be a good idea in Central London's pychpathic rush hour traffic. Hence I'd like to run fixed/free, probably both in the same ratio, currently 42/16.

If there's a good fixed/free option in 130 I'd really like to know, especially if it doesn't cost a mint or if I could bung a freewheel on something like a Goldtec that'd be good too.

Thanks for any help I can get.

a29

Avahi29 said:
I've just built my own SS commuter. SJS cycles frame, few bits from eBay, chopped and flopped bars, carbon forks (the only ones I could get in 1" threadless) and the wheels off my old geared bike with a cheap converter kit. It's kind of ended up with a red and black theme, even down to the seat (Specialized BG2 sport), entirely unitentionally. I started out with a different frame (in blue) which didn't work this time around.

Now what I want to do is replace the cassette based rear hub with a specific SS one.

Firstly, my frame has a 130 rear spacing and most SS hubs I've seen are track based and therefore 120 spaced. I'ves een a couple of 130 options, namely Goldtec, and I think you can re-space Ambrosio ones, but are there any other options, preferably without re-sizing my rear drops.

Secondly, of the hubs I've seen many are described as double fixed, I think the Goldtecs are, and some as fixed/free. What I'd like to know is; what's the difference and can I run a screw on freewheel on one side? I'd like to try a bit of fixed, but not being entirely suicidal figured it may not always be a good idea in Central London's pychpathic rush hour traffic. Hence I'd like to run fixed/free, probably both in the same ratio, currently 42/16.

If there's a good fixed/free option in 130 I'd really like to know, especially if it doesn't cost a mint or if I could bung a freewheel on something like a Goldtec that'd be good too.

Thanks for any help I can get.

a29

I can honestly say once you run fixed you'll never want to ride it with a free wheel. Go with a flip flop fixed/free if you're concerned. I have a fixed 17 free 19 on mine, the free has been used once in 2 years, hardly worth it. I'd prefer to have fixed 17 and fixed 19 on there so I could quickly swap fixed ratio's depending on fatique or terrain.

Thanks for your comments rvm. At this stage fixed/free will give me options, whilst I get used to the setup. As to equipment, any suggestions on hub manufacturers I should look at?

a29