Fixed Gear Bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by xmp333, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. xmp333

    xmp333 Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer and tried a single speed
    bike, but it didn't have the properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.

    I am looking for a bike that is:

    1) Single speed.
    2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal)
    3) Will let you pedal backwards to move backwards
    4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling
    5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front and/or back)

    This leads me to ask the following questions:

    6) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?
    7) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?
    8) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job?
    9) What are some brands/models?

    If it is any help, I live in Houston, TX (in case someone knows of an LBS that can handle this).

    I'm sorry if I don't have all the terminology down pat. I just read about this today and I would
    like to find one.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    You're faced with essentially 3 choices: a track bike, a purpose-built fixie, or a converted
    road bike.

    Track bikes are fun, but the ride is very stiff. They have razor-sharp handling. Take a look at
    Sheldon Brown's site for road-going track bikes.

    A purpose-built fixie (I'm thinking of the Surly Steamroller) offers a more comfortable ride than a
    track bike, and a few amenities like water bottle bosses.

    Finally - and this is my choice - you can set up an old road frame with horizontal dropouts. This
    can be inexpensive and fun, particularly if you can 'rescue' an old frame.
    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    > Hi,
    >

    > I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer and tried a single speed
    > bike, but it didn't have the properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.
    >
    > I am looking for a bike that is:
    >
    > 1) Single speed.
    > 2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal)
    > 3) Will let you pedal backwards to move backwards
    > 4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling
    > 5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front and/or back)
    >
    > This leads me to ask the following questions:
    >
    > 1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?
    > 2) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?
    > 3) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job?
    > 4) What are some brands/models?
    >
    > If it is any help, I live in Houston, TX (in case someone knows of an LBS that can handle this).
    >
    > I'm sorry if I don't have all the terminology down pat. I just read about this today and I would
    > like to find one.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

  3. J. Zwiebel

    J. Zwiebel Guest

    Ebay is a good place to look for fixed gear bikes, especially for old road bikes that have been
    converted to fixed gear. As for myself, I purchased a Fuji track bike (on Ebay), put on a front
    brake and use it on the road. Both Fuji and Bianchi have entry level track bikes (for about
    $500-$600) that accept brakes and should suit your purpose well.

    Jamie Zwiebel

    > Hi,
    >

    > I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer and tried a single speed
    > bike, but it didn't have the properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.
    >
    > I am looking for a bike that is:
    >
    > 1) Single speed.
    > 2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal)
    > 3) Will let you pedal backwards to move backwards
    > 4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling
    > 5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front and/or back)
    >
    > This leads me to ask the following questions:
    >
    > 1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?
    > 2) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?
    > 3) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job?
    > 4) What are some brands/models?
    >
    > If it is any help, I live in Houston, TX (in case someone knows of an LBS that can handle this).
    >
    > I'm sorry if I don't have all the terminology down pat. I just read about this today and I would
    > like to find one.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On 28 Oct 2003 17:45:16 -0800, [email protected] from http://groups.google.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer and tried a single speed
    >bike, but it didn't have the properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.
    >
    >I am looking for a bike that is:
    >
    >1) Single speed.
    >2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal)
    >3) Will let you pedal backwards to move backwards
    >4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling
    >5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front and/or back)
    >
    >This leads me to ask the following questions:
    >
    >1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?
    >2) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?
    >3) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job?
    >4) What are some brands/models?
    >
    >If it is any help, I live in Houston, TX (in case someone knows of an LBS that can handle this).
    >
    >I'm sorry if I don't have all the terminology down pat. I just read about this today and I would
    >like to find one.

    Single speed and fixed gear bikes are two different things.

    Here are two good resources:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

    and

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

    A fixed gear is sometimes known as a track bike. If you have a Bianchi or a Fuji dealer there, they
    may be able to show you one, as both companies make track bikes.

    Many people just build their own fixed gear bikes. You can get a lot of bike for a small
    sum that way.

    Here's mine:

    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/fixie/

    --
    real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com Frivolity is a stern taskmaster.

  5. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:45:16 +0000, xmp33 wrote:

    > I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer and tried a single speed
    > bike, but it didn't have the properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.
    >
    > I am looking for a bike that is:
    >
    > 1) Single speed.
    > 2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal) 3) Will let you pedal backwards to move
    > backwards

    Only if you can balance very well.

    > 4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling 5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar)
    >brakes (front and/or back)
    >
    > This leads me to ask the following questions:
    >
    > 1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?

    No. "Single speed" refers to bikes with a single-speed freewheel. No shifters, no multiple gears,
    but coasting.

    > 2) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?

    "Fixed gear" is the way they are referred to.

    >3) Are such bikes sold, or
    > is this a custom job?

    There are some sold, but more often it is a custom job. Since much of the customization involves
    removing things, it is not hard.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  6. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:45:16 +0000, xmp33 wrote:

    > 3) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job? 4) What are some brands/models?

    I saw a nice-looking one not long ago, in a semi-local bike shop (Bike Line). I _think_ it was a
    Trek, certainly usable as a track bike, but with water-bottle bosses and a front brake. Less than
    $1000. I think the frame must have been aluminum for that price.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're _`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly
    Tomlin (_)/ (_) |