Fixed gear bikes through cyclepath barriers

David

Guest
Fed up with frequent derailleur maintenance over the past couple of
winters, I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike for commuting.
I've read the fixiefaqs and Sheldon Brown's words of wisdom on the
subject, but neither touches upon how to perform awkward manoeuvers,
such as squeezing through barriers on cyclepaths or making sharp 90deg
turns. With a freewheelling bike I stand forward of the saddle, put my
weight on one pedal and scoot with the other leg, but this is obviously
not possible when fixed. I normally avoid cyclepaths but tend to end
up using them when riding with friends on the way to the pub etc. Any
advice?

David wrote:
> Fed up with frequent derailleur maintenance over the past couple of
> winters, I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike for commuting.
> I've read the fixiefaqs and Sheldon Brown's words of wisdom on the
> subject, but neither touches upon how to perform awkward manoeuvers,
> such as squeezing through barriers on cyclepaths or making sharp 90deg
> turns. With a freewheelling bike I stand forward of the saddle, put my
> weight on one pedal and scoot with the other leg, but this is obviously
> not possible when fixed. I normally avoid cyclepaths but tend to end
> up using them when riding with friends on the way to the pub etc. Any
> advice?

The really good fixie riders can do three point turns without putting a
foot down, so barriers should be a cinch ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> David wrote:
>> Fed up with frequent derailleur maintenance over the past couple of
>> winters, I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike for commuting.
>> I've read the fixiefaqs and Sheldon Brown's words of wisdom on the
>> subject, but neither touches upon how to perform awkward manoeuvers,
>> such as squeezing through barriers on cyclepaths or making sharp 90deg
>> turns. With a freewheelling bike I stand forward of the saddle, put my
>> weight on one pedal and scoot with the other leg, but this is obviously
>> not possible when fixed. I normally avoid cyclepaths but tend to end
>> up using them when riding with friends on the way to the pub etc. Any
>> advice?

Carry the bike across the barriers!

Alan

David wrote:
> Fed up with frequent derailleur maintenance over the past couple of
> winters, I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike for commuting.
> I've read the fixiefaqs and Sheldon Brown's words of wisdom on the
> subject, but neither touches upon how to perform awkward manoeuvers,
> such as squeezing through barriers on cyclepaths or making sharp 90deg
> turns. With a freewheelling bike I stand forward of the saddle, put my
> weight on one pedal and scoot with the other leg, but this is obviously
> not possible when fixed. I normally avoid cyclepaths but tend to end
> up using them when riding with friends on the way to the pub etc. Any
> advice?

It seems much less of a problem than getting a recumbent through. Just
a matter of watching pedal timing and choosing which side to go through
with the particular type of barrier that has a loop set in the ground.

In article <[email protected]>, David wrote:
>Fed up with frequent derailleur maintenance over the past couple of
>winters, I'm considering getting a fixed gear bike for commuting.
>I've read the fixiefaqs and Sheldon Brown's words of wisdom on the
>subject, but neither touches upon how to perform awkward manoeuvers,
>such as squeezing through barriers on cyclepaths or making sharp 90deg
>turns. With a freewheelling bike I stand forward of the saddle, put my
>weight on one pedal and scoot with the other leg, but this is obviously
>not possible when fixed. I normally avoid cyclepaths but tend to end
>up using them when riding with friends on the way to the pub etc. Any
>advice?

Get a singlespeed bike rather than a fixed, if derailleur maintenance
is a problem but freewheel maintenance isn't?