Fixed-Gear Bikes: Why?

Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike messengers riding fixed-gear bikes.
Some with a brake, some without. Most with cages and straps instead of clipless.

What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys
are doing it.
--
PeteCresswell

The F.G.'s to the bicycles are like the soaring planes to the aviation. Cycling in the
purest form...

[]'s Eduardo

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem news:[email protected]...
> Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike
messengers
> riding fixed-gear bikes. Some with a brake, some without. Most with
cages
> and straps instead of clipless.
>
> What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys are
> doing it.
> --
> PeteCresswell

---

When I was in toronto, I noticed the exact same thing.. I'm also very curious to hear an answer.

Obviously bike messengers must know what they are doing, ,I'm guessing it might be a reliability
thing? But then again, I've never had a derailleur fail on me..

Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:53:22 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike messengers riding fixed-gear
>bikes. Some with a brake, some without. Most with cages and straps instead of clipless.
>
>What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys are
>doing it.

For messengers, the attraction is the dramatic reduction in the number of things which can break or
wear out. Instinctive speed modulation in traffic is another bonus.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

Quoth Pete Cresswell:

> Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike messen=
gers
> riding fixed-gear bikes. Some with a brake, some without. Most with=
cages
> and straps instead of clipless.
>=20
> What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be somethin=
> practical if these guys are doing it.

It's ineffable, but I try to eff it at: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed

Sheldon "Coasting Is A Pernicious Habit" Brown
| I still feel that variable gears are only for people over | forty-five. Isn't it better to
| triumph by the strength | of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? | We are getting
| soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear! | --Henri Desgrange, _L'=85quipe_ article of 1902 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

>From: "(Pete Cresswell)"

>What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys are
>doing it.

What's practical about not being able to coast around corners so you can go faster and make more
deliveries/$$$ in a day? What's practical about not having a range of gears to reduce fatigue and
increase speed? What's practical about having to ride slow because you don't have any brakes on your
bike? What's practical about increasing your "exposure" while paying for your own accident injuries
(minus workers' comp, ha ha).

It's mostly just an ego trip/peer pressure thing.

Leaving for the winter now. --Tom Paterson

I think the speed modulation is the primary reason - you can control your speed with no hands, so
you are always attached to a brake. The simplicity is the metaphysical reason, but the control is
the animalistic reason.

-Bruce

"KinkyCowboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:53:22 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike
messengers
> >riding fixed-gear bikes. Some with a brake, some without. Most with
cages
> >and straps instead of clipless.
> >
> >What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys
> >are doing it.
>
> For messengers, the attraction is the dramatic reduction in the number of things which can break
> or wear out. Instinctive speed modulation in traffic is another bonus.
>
> Kinky Cowboy
>
> *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

>Cycling in the purest form...

And when you ride all day you develop the lean muscle, the muscle power, and a sense of enjoyment
in using it.

I am experiencing a similar "elevation" as I move out of a deep depression, a
psychotic grieving, into active research on the ultracapacitor bicycle. See "Energy Display".

Short answer: Feels Good!

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz@

RE/
>Short answer: Feels Good!

What's your perception of the danger factor?

Seems like the rider is in deep doo-doo if a foot comes off a pedal while underway.
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Went into the city today, and noticed at least a half-dozen bike messengers riding fixed-gear
> bikes. Some with a brake, some without. Most with cages and straps instead of clipless.
>
> What's the attraction of fixed-gear. I'm guessing it must be something practical if these guys are
> doing it.

Simplicity, reliability, efficiency, cost, speed modulation, light weight, and theft deterrence.
Most casual thieves will be thrown on their butts if they try to ride away on a fixed gear.
Messengers often have to leave their bike for a minute while delivering a package. If it's stolen,
it probably won't go far. Also, light weight makes it easier to carry up stairs, etc.

Fashion, too.

But if I lived somewhere really flat, like London, I'd probably ride a fixed gear too. When I visit
Myrtle Beach, my bike stays in one gear all week.

Matt O.

RE/
> you are always attached to a brake.

Can you stop as fast as with brakes?
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >Short answer: Feels Good!
>
> What's your perception of the danger factor?
>
> Seems like the rider is in deep doo-doo if a foot comes off a pedal
while
> underway.
> --
> PeteCresswell

If this is true, it's a candidate for the Darwin Awards:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Pedal/product_22385.shtml Review of Brooklyn Machine Works
"Shinburgers"

Submitted by Mangled Road Biker a Racer from a wheelchair in front of a computer Date Reviewed:
5/19/2002 11:28:25 AM Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month Bottom Line: So I just got this
fixed-gear road bike. I bought these pedals thinking they were gnarly and I didn't want to start on
a fixed-gear with clip-ins.

I get going on these things and head down my town's steepest and longest road. My cranks spin like
mad and these pedals go from foot platforms to blade-wielding kitchen appliances. My dangling legs
got hurt pretty bad.

So yeah, they really are gnarly. Value Rating:5 Overall Rating:5

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> RE/
> > you are always attached to a brake.

> Can you stop as fast as with brakes?

If you have a brake on the front, yes. But with better speed modulation, there are fewer
sudden stops.

Matt O.

Tom Paterson wrote:

<< It's mostly just an ego trip/peer pressure thing. >>

True.

There are some advantages though, especially in the winter. Weekend cyclists can decide to stay
inside during, say, a blinding snowstorm, but couriers don't have that luxury. On really bad days
your road or mountain bike's derailleurs, cogs, and cables will all freeze up. Haven't lived until
your freehub stops freehubbing due to extreme ice and muck. See, the bike wants to be a track bike
anyway. You will be left in one gear, and your brakes won't work very well if at all. It's possible
that your bike might stop working entirely, in which case your dispatcher will tell you to pee on it
to get it rolling again. Fixed gear deals nicely with these problems.

cheers, Robert

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:28:11 +0000, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> RE/
>>Short answer: Feels Good!
>
> What's your perception of the danger factor?
>
> Seems like the rider is in deep doo-doo if a foot comes off a pedal while underway.

Non-issue. Now, I don't use platform pedals with a fixed gear, but time was when I use toe-clips and
straps with ordinary shoes. Never recalled a foot losing contact with a pedal.

It does occasionally happen during races that a foot will pull out of the cleat, clipless or not.
Usually this is bad news even on a road bike, since it invariably happens on a sprint. But it has
not happened to me JRA.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:06:21 +0000, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> RE/
>> you are always attached to a brake.
>
> Can you stop as fast as with brakes?

Just with your feet?  No. No matter what magic people ascribe to their fancy skidding stop methods,
no way a rear wheel can stop you as fast as a front wheel.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is _`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich
white women than motorcycle gangs. (_)/ (_) |