Fixed-Gear Bikes: Why?

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > How Leisure Came
> >
> > A MAN to Whom Time Was Money, and who was bolting his breakfast in order to catch a train, had
> > leaned his newspaper against the sugar-bowl and was reading as he ate. In his haste and
> > abstraction he stuck a pickle-fork into his right eye, and on removing the fork the eye came
> > with it. In buying spectacles the needless outlay for the right lens soon reduced him to
> > poverty, and the Man to Whom Time Was Money had to sustain life by fishing from the end of a
> > wharf.
> >
> > --Ambrose Bierce, "Fantastic Fables"
>
> Dear Carl:
>
> What was he doing with a pickle-fork at breakfast?
>
> Bill "pizza slicer, maybe" S.

Dear Bill,

Just as a multiplicity of gears may mark the more technologically advanced cyclist, so may a
plethora of cutlery mark the more socially advanced breakfast setting.

I trust that your embarrassed spouse (theoretical or otherwise) is even now scurrying to WalMart to
purchase the appropriate utensils to lend your connubial Cheerio stadium an air of grace.

The following instructions may prove helpful:

FORK, n. An instrument used chiefly for the purpose of putting dead animals into the mouth.
Formerly the knife was employed for this purpose, and by many worthy persons is still thought to
have many advantages over the other tool, which, however, they do not altogether reject, but use
to assist in charging the knife. The immunity of these persons from swift and awful death is one
of the most striking proofs of God's mercy to those that hate Him.

Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

(Actually, I'm just testing that the ISP is working again after a few hours.)

Carl Fogel

I was a bike messenger in downtown Chicago. If I only had to ride downtown, I don't need gears.
Besides at the end of the day I only averaged 9-10 mph. If I'm riding the lakefront, I want gears,
at least a few. Hey, I really like to look at a Steamroller. One of my favorite bikes of all time
was my BMX cruiser--one speed.