Fixed Gear Chainline - One Piece Crank - The Saga Continues

Protag Hiro

Guest
So here's the deal. I have a 1970 Schwinn Suburban that I fixed up.
Surly hub, Dura Ace Cog, Wald Chainring, all 1/8". I am using the
original one piece crank, so chainline adjustment up there is not
happening.

I took my bike into a LBS, and asked them to space the rear hub and
redish the wheel to get my chainline right. They called me up, said the
bike was done, and I took it home.

The chain noise that caused me to take the wheel to them in the first
place is still there. I placed a straight edge against the chainring,
checked the chainline, and it is still quite a ways off. Am I going to
have to live with this?

It seems to me that one of the spacers on the left side of the hub
could have been moved over to the right to address this problem. Should
they be able to get it close to perfect? Because as it is, it is far
from perfect. I know that with a better crank/bb setup, this could be
fine tuned much easier.

Does anyone out there have a one piece crank on an old Schwinn fixie?
How straight can I really expect to get this chainline? Should I take
it back to the shop and have them re-do it? Arg!!! I can live with the
chain noise if there is nothing I can do about it, but if it is
possible to get it better, I want it done!

A fellow Neal Stephenson fan wrote:

> So here's the deal. I have a 1970 Schwinn Suburban that I fixed up.
> Surly hub, Dura Ace Cog, Wald Chainring, all 1/8". I am using the
> original one piece crank, so chainline adjustment up there is not
> happening.
>
> I took my bike into a LBS, and asked them to space the rear hub and
> redish the wheel to get my chainline right. They called me up, said the
> bike was done, and I took it home.
>
> The chain noise that caused me to take the wheel to them in the first
> place is still there. I placed a straight edge against the chainring,
> checked the chainline, and it is still quite a ways off. Am I going to
> have to live with this?

Not a good idea.

> It seems to me that one of the spacers on the left side of the hub
> could have been moved over to the right to address this problem.

Usually, in converting a multi-freewheel-type wheel, you need to move
spacers from the right to the left.

> Should they be able to get it close to perfect?

Definitely.

> Because as it is, it is far
> from perfect. I know that with a better crank/bb setup, this could be
> fine tuned much easier.

No, your bike probably has pretty standard chainline, likely about 41 mm.

You should measure it. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

Might also want to check to make sure the frame is straight.

See; http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing

> How straight can I really expect to get this chainline?

Plus or minus a millimeter.

> Should I take it back to the shop and have them re-do it?

Absolutely.

Sheldon "Straight Ahead" Brown
| Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice |
| that which is adequately explained by stupidity." |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> > How straight can I really expect to get this chainline?

> Plus or minus a millimeter.
>
> > Should I take it back to the shop and have them re-do it?

> Absolutely.
>
> Sheldon "Straight Ahead" Brown

So I took it back in this morning. The frame was a bit off, and one of
the spacers was on the wrong side. They centered me up, redished the
wheel, and charged me 10 more bucks for the 'quickie frame adjustment'
which consisted of banging on the bike with a rubber mallet. Now the
chainline is much better, and since I watched them do it this time, I
know what to look for in the future.

Protag "My last name is also Brown, really" Hiro

Protag Hiro wrote:

> So I took it back in this morning. The frame was a bit off, and one of
> the spacers was on the wrong side. They centered me up, redished the
> wheel, and charged me 10 more bucks for the 'quickie frame adjustment'
> which consisted of banging on the bike with a rubber mallet. Now the
> chainline is much better, and since I watched them do it this time, I
> know what to look for in the future.

In another week or so, when you've had all the fixie action you can
stand, you'll know just how to correct the chainline for your new
single-speed freewheel.

Perhaps you will think, like I did, "Wow, riding downhill is fun again!
And I can scratch myself, or stretch, or adjust my position on the
saddle or pedals without getting kicked off my bike!"

Chalo Colina

ha ha fa fa he he ho ho. very funny. i still have my good old mountain
bike for the days when i want to coast. i havent been as physically
tired after a ride since the first few weeks i started cycling in 1996.
i am really diggin the fixed life. ive seen you round seattle chalo,
you gotta see this big brown beast i am riding!

Protag Hiro wrote:

> i am really diggin the fixed life. ive seen you round seattle chalo,
> you gotta see this big brown beast i am riding!

I'm looking forward to it.

You know, I do have one "fixed gear" contraption left in my menagerie--
my titan-sized Big Wheel. Come to the Dead Baby Bikes 9th annual
downhill race on August 5th and try it out.

http://deadbabybikes.org/raceshit/racenow.htm

Chalo Colina