fixed gear chainring bolts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jtill, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. jtill

    jtill New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Is there some trick to getting the chainring bolts on a fixie to stay tight? I have a salsa 39t chainring with 130 BCD on an old shimano 600 crank, and they keep coming loose. I've tried lightly greasing the threads, using track-specific chainring bolts, tightening them more, less, etc. They keep loosening up to the point where the chainring jumps back and forth on the spider when i switch from powering forward to resisting the wheels to slow down. Help!

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:51:54 GMT, jtill
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there some trick to getting the chainring bolts on a fixie to stay tight? I have a salsa 39t
    >chainring with 130 BCD on an old shimano 600 crank, and they keep coming loose. I've tried lightly
    >greasing the threads, using track-specific chainring bolts, tightening them more, less, etc. They
    >keep loosening up to the point where the chainring jumps back and forth on the spider when i switch
    >from powering forward to resisting the wheels to slow down. Help!

    This most commonly occurs when the nuts are too long for the combination of chainring and crank you
    have, and the bolt comes together with the nut before holding the chainring fast to the crank. You
    can: a- Get new fasteners, with the nut side shorter than the ones you've got. b- File/grind the
    nuts you have now a little shorter. c- If your chainring's teeth are all "normal" (completely
    symmetrical tooth profiles, no special "gated" cuts), you can try reversing the 'ring (side facing
    out now faces in) so there's no countersunk recess for the chainring nut to fit within.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalogue of track
    equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    jtill wrote:
    > Is there some trick to getting the chainring bolts on a fixie to stay tight? I have a salsa 39t
    > chainring with 130 BCD on an old shimano 600 crank, and they keep coming loose. I've tried lightly
    > greasing the threads, using track-specific chainring bolts, tightening them more, less, etc. They
    > keep loosening up to the point where the chainring jumps back and forth on the spider when i
    > switch from powering forward to resisting the wheels to slow down. Help!

    Some chainrings are just thinner than others. Probably your bolt is bottoming out before securing
    the ring. Either pass the nut side of the fastener lightly across a grindwheel or get a set of the
    thin shims Shimano uses under their cheap thin chainrings. That spacer goes between ring and arm.