Fixed gear cog noise

I just finished building my 1970 Schwinn Suburban fixed gear (42x15).
The chainring, cog, and chain are all new, and are all 1/8". There is a
slight noise coming from the 15 tooth cog when I pedal. I have read
online that some noise is normal when parts are new like this, and that
there is a "breaking in" period. Is this true?

I am not positive that my chainline is PERFECT, but it is pretty darn
close to it as far as I can tell. Should I be worried about this noise?
The new drivetrain parts have about 1 mile of use. Will the noise
subside with more use on these parts?

Help me rec.bicycles.tech, you're my only hope.

Check that chain is not too tight (binding in any crank position) and
that all links are free and properly lubed. Then ride and see what
happens.

Mike Yankee wrote:

> Check that chain is not too tight (binding in any crank position) and
> that all links are free and properly lubed. Then ride and see what
> happens.

Sheldon Brown for expanded info, as usual:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html>

Chiming in here with: always use a tool, not your fingers, for
checking tension. Hungry teeth... --TP

[email protected] wrote:
> Mike Yankee wrote:
>
> > Check that chain is not too tight (binding in any crank position) and
> > that all links are free and properly lubed. Then ride and see what
> > happens.

> Sheldon Brown for expanded info, as usual:
>
> <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html>

I have been to Sheldon's website already. I am asking questions here
for information above and beyond his page... So do cogs need to break
in? Do the new parts need to break in? That is my question.

"In virtute sunt multi ascensus." - Cicero
On 30 Jun 2005 10:30:58 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Mike Yankee wrote:
>>
>> > Check that chain is not too tight (binding in any crank position) and
>> > that all links are free and properly lubed. Then ride and see what
>> > happens.

>> Sheldon Brown for expanded info, as usual:
>>
>> <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html>

>I have been to Sheldon's website already. I am asking questions here
>for information above and beyond his page... So do cogs need to break
>in? Do the new parts need to break in? That is my question.

In spite of proper attention to chainline and tension, some
combinations of chain, sprocket and chainring are occasionally prone
to noise when new. I suspect that small fabrication errors in tooth
profiles can lead to the sort of groans sometimes made by fixed-gear
drivetrains until the parts have had an opportunity to wear
sympathetically together.

At its extreme, the error can make a part dysfunctional like the new
sprocket with out-of-spec teeth in the photo in the following link:
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/toothcut.jpg
I believe it's likely that lesser errors usually allow the parts to
"work" when new, albeit while sometimes making noises of complaint
when under load until they "break in".

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

My (limited) experience is that a new chain and sprocket can be noisy
and that this does subside over the first couple of hundred miles.

I base this on my own attempts to eliminate such noise from the rear of
my own fixed wheel bike. I tried everything I could think of (varying
chain line, tension, lubrication), gave up and decided to put up with
it, only to find that the "problem" solved itself quickly enough on its
own.

Andrew Webster