Fixed Gear Conversion Noise

Pelay

Feb 10, 2010
I just did my first fixed gear conversion, from an old Roadmaster Schorcher I got for free. I bought a new wheelset, with a fixed hub and cog but kept the original chainring and cranks etc. So i'm running a 1/8 cog with a 3/32 chainring and a 1/8 chain.
Problem is I have a whirring rattling sound that I think is the chain slipping on the gears a bit. The guy at my LBS said I couldn't adjust the chainline on this crank set. Is this true? Is there anyway to make it quieter? I'm not exactly sure how to get the chainline straight while keeping my wheel in the middle of the dropouts. If I can't fix this is there anything wrong with just riding it until I strip out the cog, and then look into replacing things?
Any suggestions would be super helpful.
Thanks!

Pelay said:
I just did my first fixed gear conversion, from an old Roadmaster Schorcher I got for free. I bought a new wheelset, with a fixed hub and cog but kept the original chainring and cranks etc. So i'm running a 1/8 cog with a 3/32 chainring and a 1/8 chain.
Problem is I have a whirring rattling sound that I think is the chain slipping on the gears a bit. The guy at my LBS said I couldn't adjust the chainline on this crank set. Is this true? Is there anyway to make it quieter? I'm not exactly sure how to get the chainline straight while keeping my wheel in the middle of the dropouts. If I can't fix this is there anything wrong with just riding it until I strip out the cog, and then look into replacing things?
Any suggestions would be super helpful.
Thanks!
Let me begin by assuring you that the guy at the LBS is wrong ...

What kind of crankset does the bike have? A one-piece Ashtabula/("American") crankset?

What is the rear dropout spacing on your Roadmaster frame?

Which way does the chain skew relative to the centerline of the bike ... flaring away from the frame as it approaches the rear wheel OR does the chain skew inward as it approaches the rear wheel?

What kind of hub are you using ... and, is your bike actually a Fixie or are you using a Single Speed, BMX Freewheel?

If you can, post a picture or two which shows the bike from the side AND (more importantly) from the rear on the driveside.