Fixed gear frame size question

division34

Jul 13, 2010
Got a question about frame sizing on fixed gears. I'm about to pick one up, I'm planning on using it for freestyle and light commuting. I have my road bike which I love to ride, so this ones only a part time thing. My road bikes a 55cm frame. I've read a bit about people sizing down with fixed gears especially with track or freestyle riding but I don't want to go too small. I've done some different frame calculators online and they've put me on everyting from a 53-55cm frame and now I'm lost.

Me:
I'm 5'9 160lbs and have a 31.5" inseam.

The Bikes:
I have are a 52cm or a 55cm both would be running riser style bars.

The 52cm
53.5cm top tube length
52cm seat tube
90mm stem ext
29.75in standover height

The 55cm
55cm top tube
55cm seat tube
90mm stem ext
30.5in standover height

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I use the same setup for every bike i own.
If you want to ride with a high cadence then you should lower a bit your saddle.
For your height, 52 is a bit small i think.

division34 said:
Got a question about frame sizing on fixed gears. I'm about to pick one up, I'm planning on using it for freestyle and light commuting. I have my road bike which I love to ride, so this ones only a part time thing. My road bikes a 55cm frame. I've read a bit about people sizing down with fixed gears especially with track or freestyle riding but I don't want to go too small. I've done some different frame calculators online and they've put me on everyting from a 53-55cm frame and now I'm lost.

Me:
I'm 5'9 160lbs and have a 31.5" inseam.

The Bikes:
I have are a 52cm or a 55cm both would be running riser style bars.

The 52cm
53.5cm top tube length
52cm seat tube
90mm stem ext
29.75in standover height

The 55cm
55cm top tube
55cm seat tube
90mm stem ext
30.5in standover height

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Based on how you apparently have your two bikes set up, if you are planning on doing Freestyle riding, then I think you want a MTB frame with a 54cm virtual top tube (i.e., SMALL) instead of a Road-type frame ...

Bianchi makes a SS MTB frame.

Raleigh & Redline make SS 29er frames.

SURLY makes hubs with wider Flange spacing which are designed for SS/Fixie MTBs.

The White Industries ENO hub is another option if you want to convert a frame which has vertical dropouts ... the common OLD spacing is 135mm ... 126mm & 130mm axle inserts are available.

You probably do NOT want to use a chain tensioner, BTW.