fixed gear question

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Nakashima <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> When I was running one of those hubs on my Rambouillet, I had a 15
>> fixed, 17 freewheel. Worked fine with both, though I hardly ever used
>> the freeweel.

>I was wondering about that, do fixed-gear riders actually take the time
>to flop the wheel?

No. not during a ride. I will sometimes flip the hub if I want an
easier ride vs. a faster one.

>Also would there be extra work to flop an eccentric hub?

Yes, it's a very nice hub, but it is more finicky to get the
tension right than a standard hub. ( Not a lot, but still... )

_ Booker C. Bense

On Dec 10, 9:51 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > When I was running one of those hubs on my Rambouillet, I had a 15
> > fixed, 17 freewheel. Worked fine with both, though I hardly ever used
> > the freeweel.

> I was wondering about that, do fixed-gear riders actually take the time
> to flop the wheel?
> Also would there be extra work to flop an eccentric hub?
> -tom

I don't. PIA outweighs dubious performance enhancement.

/s

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> I was wondering about that, do fixed-gear riders actually take the time
> to flop the wheel?

if I want to switch gears during a ride I grab a bike with gears

> Also would there be extra work to flop an eccentric hub?

More tools needed, you'll need another spanner to turn the axle

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

"Booker Bense" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Personally, I don't seen much point in a double fixed gear setup.
> You can't really get enough range to make a difference and
> swapping is a PITA. I do see some point in having a freewheel on
> one side as a backup/change of pace. Otherwise, just pick a gear
> and live with it.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

Yes, I have to agree with you on the double fixed gear set-up.
I have threading to add a double set-up, but saw no need to do so.

For those who have a freewheel and a fixed gear, and flop them,
don't you ever get confused? By confused I mean having the fixedgear
engaged and stop pedaling thinking you have the freewheel on?

When I'm on my fixie, after riding long distances, I sometimes
get confused thinking I'm on my geared road bike and momentarily stop
pedaling. Of course I get reminded pretty quick.
-tom

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> When I was running one of those hubs on my Rambouillet, I had a 15
>> fixed, 17 freewheel. Worked fine with both, though I hardly ever used
>> the freeweel.

> I was wondering about that, do fixed-gear riders actually take the time
> to flop the wheel?
> Also would there be extra work to flop an eccentric hub?
> -tom

One tooth difference (16/17), just after they put the clocks back or
forward.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk