Fixed Gear/SS Build

Hoya1500

Jul 17, 2005
I'm looking to build a single speed bike soon (soon as i get some money). I'd build it mostly for riding around town but would also like to take it to the track sometime. There are many options available to me as i work at a LBS. I could buy a Lemond Fillmore, Trek T1, or get a Gunnar frame and start from scratch (which i would prefer). I'm still weighing my options. Any suggestions?

Hoya1500 said:
I'm looking to build a single speed bike soon (soon as i get some money). I'd build it mostly for riding around town but would also like to take it to the track sometime. There are many options available to me as i work at a LBS. I could buy a Lemond Fillmore, Trek T1, or get a Gunnar frame and start from scratch (which i would prefer). I'm still weighing my options. Any suggestions?
Going on what you've said, more 'town' than 'track', if it was me I'd go the Gunnar. I'm not into the look of the Fillmore. And if you are just getting the frame, you custom it up to make it yours.

Hoya1500 said:

Things to remember is that neither quick release wheels are allowed on a track or brakes. Gearing is also different.

This can makre it a real pain to swap between uses.
I lucked out and bought an old track bike that's the right size for $150 that needed a bit of TLC and some secondhand track wheels on ebay for $50. The new tubulars cost me $110 with the glue but all in all a cheap track bike. I need to get a lot better before I can justify a custom frame.

Cheers

Geoff

i built a fixed/ss from an old unknown brand very light roadbike found at a thrift shop for less than $20. rides great though not completely straight. this winter it's become my really bad weather bike.
also picked up an old raleigh grand prix, replaced the bent fork with a tange and laced up alloy rims w/ flip/flop hub. this is morphed into a really sweet fixed gear commuter. for just cruising around and commuting and running errands, it rocks.
i too always had my eyes on a track bike and after being dumped by my girlfriend for the umteenth time i took advatage of the situation and ebayed a Mercier break-up bike. i think it came with a 48x15 fixed and was a rocket with no brakes. the big gear required times of resting and great care in not smoking through familier turns. it's really tall feeling with very steep angles and light modern tubing. the top tube picked up a small dent when it lost a battle with the raleigh when one fell into the other one day. i use it for commuting and rain rides and just ripping around town. it's been re-geared with seat stem and bar changes with a front brake added and bigger tires.
point is that all the bikes are different bit simplicity of riding, maintenance and perfecting technique is the beauty of the fixed. sure, i still have thoughts of taking one to the track, though not nearly so often. buying a new frame and building from scratch really makes a bike yours. perfection does not exist and every choice has some trade off. the Gunnar sounds like what you'd really like. go for it.

dale ditzler said:
i built a fixed/ss from an old unknown brand very light roadbike found at a thrift shop for less than $20. rides great though not completely straight. this winter it's become my really bad weather bike.
also picked up an old raleigh grand prix, replaced the bent fork with a tange and laced up alloy rims w/ flip/flop hub. this is morphed into a really sweet fixed gear commuter. for just cruising around and commuting and running errands, it rocks.
i too always had my eyes on a track bike and after being dumped by my girlfriend for the umteenth time i took advatage of the situation and ebayed a Mercier break-up bike. i think it came with a 48x15 fixed and was a rocket with no brakes. the big gear required times of resting and great care in not smoking through familier turns. it's really tall feeling with very steep angles and light modern tubing. the top tube picked up a small dent when it lost a battle with the raleigh when one fell into the other one day. i use it for commuting and rain rides and just ripping around town. it's been re-geared with seat stem and bar changes with a front brake added and bigger tires.
point is that all the bikes are different bit simplicity of riding, maintenance and perfecting technique is the beauty of the fixed. sure, i still have thoughts of taking one to the track, though not nearly so often. buying a new frame and building from scratch really makes a bike yours. perfection does not exist and every choice has some trade off. the Gunnar sounds like what you'd really like. go for it.
Any gear ratio suggestions? I'm thinking 44/14

Hoya1500 said:

Unless you live somewhere that is completely flat and you're a Cat 1 rider I would suggest something closer to a 72" gear.
This depends on your wheel size and what tires you are going to run.
Go to Sheldon Brown's Online Gear Calculator and have some fun working out what's right for you.
Remember the idea is to spin, not to grind.

Cheers

Geoff

Hoya1500 said:
the mercier now has 48x18 and is great for around town, short steep hills and everything inbetween, with 700x28 rubber.