Fixed gear/SS conversion for absolute beginner

djr48

Aug 15, 2010
As much as I enjoy riding bikes and cycling culture in general, I know little to nothing about bike mechanics. There is an old 1988 Murray road bike that has been wasting away in my grandparents garage. I thought I would strip it down and teach myself a thing or two about bicycle mechanics, and teach myself how to build a fixed gear/singlespeed (I don't know the difference). After spending all day looking around the internet, I'm still lost. And after searching through bundles of forums and articles, I've decided to raise a white flag and write a post of my own.

The only salvageable part of the bike is the frame and fork. Where and with what do I start? I know I want a flip flop hub (new terminology I learned to day) as I'm going to be riding up decent sized hills. What do I need as far as wheels, a bottom bracket, cranks, etc.? I truly know next to nothing about what I'm doing and going through all the stuff online is daunting. Any and all help/advice is very much appreciated. As a note, the part of the bottom bracket that the right-side crankarm screws into is stuck. Or rather, I can't unscrew that part (whatever it's proper name maybe) out of the bike frame.

I hope this post isn't too vague and makes sense.
Derek

I have been riding geared road and mountain bikes for years and know very little because I have a good friend who has all the tools needed and works on bikes as a side gig. He has recently started to taper his business and I am learning more everyday about bike mechanics. Separately but simultaneously, I have recently started riding a single speed that I converted myself which has been another opportunity to learn. Most of my help has come from reading various articles / blog posts and asking lots of questions at the local bike shop. In my area, there are two new bike shops that sell new and used bikes but mostly used, they have a community bench and helpful staff.

If you know nothing or close to nothing, or even if you know a lot, the local bike shop is an excellent resource. If you don't have a good local bike shop, check out http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ . This site has lot of useful insight and information that will help you get started in the right direction.

Good luck.

djr48 said:
As much as I enjoy riding bikes and cycling culture in general, I know little to nothing about bike mechanics. There is an old 1988 Murray road bike that has been wasting away in my grandparents garage. I thought I would strip it down and teach myself a thing or two about bicycle mechanics, and teach myself how to build a fixed gear/singlespeed (I don't know the difference). After spending all day looking around the internet, I'm still lost. And after searching through bundles of forums and articles, I've decided to raise a white flag and write a post of my own.

The only salvageable part of the bike is the frame and fork. Where and with what do I start? I know I want a flip flop hub (new terminology I learned to day) as I'm going to be riding up decent sized hills. What do I need as far as wheels, a bottom bracket, cranks, etc.? I truly know next to nothing about what I'm doing and going through all the stuff online is daunting. Any and all help/advice is very much appreciated. As a note, the part of the bottom bracket that the right-side crankarm screws into is stuck. Or rather, I can't unscrew that part (whatever it's proper name maybe) out of the bike frame.
BRIEFLY:
A Fixie is a Single Speed, but a Single Speed isn't necessarily a Fixie.

A Fixie is a direct drive and does NOT freewheel ... no coasting ...
If you want a Flip-Flop hub, you have to know the frame's rear triangle spacing.

The traditional Flip-Flop hub will be designed for a 120mm wide frame ...
You can adjust a regular Flip-Flop hub for wider frame spacing by putting spacers between the Cone & Nut, but the Cog/Freewheel will be in the same position relative to the bike's central plane.

OR, you can respace a steel frame's rear spacing down to 120mm
SURLY makes Flip-Flop hubs with wider flange spacing & thereby shifts the Cog/Freewheel away from the bike's central plane (this is particularly meaningful for converted MTBs which have 135mm rear spacing).

the conversion isnt as difficult as it seems. i just got into converting old 10 speeds to singlesgears and it's just a good ol time. sheldon brown taught me everything i know

Thanks for all the help. A week later and I have successfully converted a ten-speed to a fixed gear.