Fixed gear/track frame geometry

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just did a fairly hilly metric century on my track bike, inspired by
> this thread, actually. (David will recognize the roads- Gateway Trail
> to Oakdale, to Lake Elmo,

> through Afton up to the park entrance,

i know this as the "half way point of trail mix and yogurt covered raisins."
well, it is air conditioned. it is, in fact, pretty hilly around there.
i like biking around there a lot .. 'specially on the wisconsin side of the
saint croix where it really gets hilly. i spent a fair bit of my unemployment
(time) there and on the gateway trail. sigh, i miss the trees of minnesota
a lot. a veritable endor you have there.

> Despite having only a 67" gear up all the
> hills, some of which are reasonably steep, my legs felt really good
> this morning.

i roped a coworker into an organized metric this weekend (he raced back in
the day so it wasn't too hard). bastards start at 8am, tho. aiiyy.. it
looks to be fairly flat so maybe i'll use the track bike -- i'm geared up
a bit from you at 74".

probably i should scout out the route, first? nahh..
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

>All what we got here is American made.
>It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed. -- FZ

THE master!!

Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > --On Sunday, June 06, 2004 12:57 PM -0700 Benjamin Lewis
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ideally I'd like to learn more about this without leaving my seat, but
> >> if anyone can suggest any good books on the subject that might be
> >> available in the library I'd appreciate that too.

> > Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, by Thomas D. Gillespie
> >
> > I'm not sure this covers bikes and motorcycles, but its a good resource
> > anyway. a good engineering library (such as one at a university) should
> > have a copy.

> Thanks. It's not at my university library, but there's a copy at another
> nearby university, so I may check it out if I can't find something more
> convenient or bicycle specific. I also see a couple of books in our
> library with promising titles.

Its described in Effective Cycling, the classic.

Tom

Thomas Reynolds wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, by Thomas D. Gillespie
>>>
>>> I'm not sure this covers bikes and motorcycles, but its a good resource
>>> anyway. a good engineering library (such as one at a university) should
>>> have a copy.

>> Thanks. It's not at my university library, but there's a copy at
>> another nearby university, so I may check it out if I can't find
>> something more convenient or bicycle specific. I also see a couple of
>> books in our library with promising titles.

> Its described in Effective Cycling, the classic.

Is it? (goes and checks)

Hmm, some if not most of his description is dead wrong (e.g. "A bicycle
with long trail is very sensitive and follows every lean you make"), and at
best I find the rest unhelpful.

I suspect Forester is confused about the effect of fork offset (rake), and
is under the common impression that increasing rake increases the trail,
when in fact the opposite is true.

The best analysis I've found so far is the paper by David E. H. Jones,
"The Stability of the Bicycle", where he attempts to build several
"unrideable bicycles" (URBs). It's much more rambling and casual than a
typical academic paper, but I found it somewhat enjoyable to read. I liked
his closing paragraph:

"It seems a lot of tortuous effort to produce in the end a machine of
absolutely no utility whatsoever, but that sets me firmly in the mainstream
of modern technology. At least I will have no intention of foisting the
product onto a long-suffering public in the name of progress."

A scanned PDF version of the document can be obtained here:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans/Teaching/bicycles.html

The book "Bicycling Science" to which Tim McNamara referred me essentially
summarizes Jones' analysis, at least in the 2nd edition.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Hey! I'm only fourteen, sickly 'n' thin
Tried all of my life just to grow me a chin
It popped out once, but my dad pushed it in. -- FZ

"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The best analysis I've found so far is the paper by David E. H.
> Jones, "The Stability of the Bicycle", where he attempts to build
> several "unrideable bicycles" (URBs). It's much more rambling
> and casual than a typical academic paper, but I found it somewhat
> enjoyable to read.

Have you seen the papers linked from:

http://tam.cornell.edu/~ruina/hplab/bicycles.html

particularly Scott Hand's thesis, and Jim Papadopoulos' summary of it?

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:

> "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The best analysis I've found so far is the paper by David E. H.
>> Jones, "The Stability of the Bicycle", where he attempts to build
>> several "unrideable bicycles" (URBs). It's much more rambling
>> and casual than a typical academic paper, but I found it somewhat
>> enjoyable to read.

> Have you seen the papers linked from:
>
> http://tam.cornell.edu/~ruina/hplab/bicycles.html
>
> particularly Scott Hand's thesis, and Jim Papadopoulos' summary of it?

No, I haven't. Thanks for the link, looks like it might be just what I was
looking for.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Hey! I'm only fourteen, sickly 'n' thin
Tried all of my life just to grow me a chin
It popped out once, but my dad pushed it in. -- FZ

LOL. "[D]ead wrong" and "unhelpful" and putting words in the mouth of JF.
LOL

Your criticism is of the value of 'very' since every other statement in the
context is exactly truthful and still you find it "unhelpful". And excuse
your density with 'I suspect the author is confused'!

You are an undergraduate? or wish your work 'reviewed' to a similar
standard thirty-ish years later? So much for 'peer review'. Or are you a
peer?

Perhaps Professor Patterson from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and author of
Lords of the Chain Ring might help. I believe that he writes for
under-grads.

Doug Huffman wrote:

> "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote...
>>>

>> Hmm, some if not most of his description is dead wrong (e.g. "A bicycle
>> with long trail is very sensitive and follows every lean you make"), and
>> at best I find the rest unhelpful.
>>
>> I suspect Forester is confused about the effect of fork offset (rake),
>> and is under the common impression that increasing rake increases the
>> trail, when in fact the opposite is true.

> LOL. "[D]ead wrong" and "unhelpful" and putting words in the mouth of
> JF. LOL
>
> Your criticism is of the value of 'very' since every other statement in
> the context is exactly truthful and still you find it "unhelpful". And
> excuse your density with 'I suspect the author is confused'!

No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long trail
have more sensitive steering, when exactly the opposite is true.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Doug Huffman wrote:
>

>>"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote...
>>
>>>Hmm, some if not most of his description is dead wrong (e.g. "A bicycle
>>>with long trail is very sensitive and follows every lean you make"), and
>>>at best I find the rest unhelpful.
>>>
>>>I suspect Forester is confused about the effect of fork offset (rake),
>>>and is under the common impression that increasing rake increases the
>>>trail, when in fact the opposite is true.

>>LOL. "[D]ead wrong" and "unhelpful" and putting words in the mouth of
>>JF. LOL
>>
>>Your criticism is of the value of 'very' since every other statement in
>>the context is exactly truthful and still you find it "unhelpful". And
>>excuse your density with 'I suspect the author is confused'!

> No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long trail
> have more sensitive steering, when exactly the opposite is true.

Only if you take the party line at face value. Longer trail will help a
bike track better but if you get inputs to the steering outside of your
control (wind, holes, bumps, ...) longer trail will actually make your
bike more sensitive. It's a longer lever arm.

MOO,
Matt

[email protected] wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>>
>> No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long trail
>> have more sensitive steering, when exactly the opposite is true.

> Only if you take the party line at face value.

I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

> Longer trail will help a bike track better but if you get inputs to the
> steering outside of your control (wind, holes, bumps, ...) longer trail
> will actually make your bike more sensitive. It's a longer lever arm.

This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and bumps.
Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does indeed have to
do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me that a bump will
result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a longer lever arm will
result in a smaller change in steering angle.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Amoebit:
Amoeba/rabbit cross; it can multiply and divide at the same time.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long trail
>>>have more sensitive steering, when exactly the opposite is true.

>>Only if you take the party line at face value.

> I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without consideration of
other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously believes the party line
but I have my doubts if he's really considered the other possibilities

>>Longer trail will help a bike track better but if you get inputs to the
>>steering outside of your control (wind, holes, bumps, ...) longer trail
>>will actually make your bike more sensitive. It's a longer lever arm.

> This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and bumps.
> Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does indeed have to
> do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me that a bump will
> result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a longer lever arm will
> result in a smaller change in steering angle.

No citations just experience & thought experiments. Let's consider what
happens when you push on the head tube of a bike, holding the bars
fixed. With zero trail there will be no twisting of the head tube
around the head tube axis because the tire/road contact point is
directly on the axis. As you increase the trail & the actual contact
point moves away from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces
increase. Now how do you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a
sideways force on the bike. This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed)
but the front of the bike can get pushed sideways. If there was zero
trail, the front wheel would act fixed like the rear and the front wheel
would still be tracking the direction of travel. As trail increases,
any rotation of the fork translates into a larger offset of the contact
point and affects the direction of travel of the bike. The more
flexible the front triangle the more affect this has on the bike. As
far as holes, cracks, etc my belief is that the shorter the trail the
easier it is for the rider to resist the change caused by the outside
influence. Again consider the differences from zero trail to something
larger.

MOO,
Matt

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Doug Huffman wrote:
>
>> "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote...
>>>>
>>> Hmm, some if not most of his description is dead wrong (e.g. "A
>>> bicycle with long trail is very sensitive and follows every lean
>>> you make"), and at best I find the rest unhelpful.
>>>
>>> I suspect Forester is confused about the effect of fork offset
>>> (rake), and is under the common impression that increasing rake
>>> increases the trail, when in fact the opposite is true.

>> LOL. "[D]ead wrong" and "unhelpful" and putting words in the mouth
>> of JF. LOL
>>
>> Your criticism is of the value of 'very' since every other statement
>> in the context is exactly truthful and still you find it
>> "unhelpful". And excuse your density with 'I suspect the author is
>> confused'!

> No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long
> trail have more sensitive steering, when exactly the opposite is true.

Mr. Forester does seem confused on some mechanical matters. He should have
stuck to his knitting.

Matt O.

[email protected] wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Only if you take the party line at face value.

>> I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

> The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without consideration of
> other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously believes the party line
> but I have my doubts if he's really considered the other possibilities

You may doubt as much as you want, but I disagree with many "commonly
accepted facts". I'm still not sure what the commonly accepted facts *are*
when it comes to steering geometry.

>>> Longer trail will help a bike track better but if you get inputs to the
>>> steering outside of your control (wind, holes, bumps, ...) longer trail
>>> will actually make your bike more sensitive. It's a longer lever arm.

>> This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and
>> bumps. Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does
>> indeed have to do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me
>> that a bump will result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a
>> longer lever arm will result in a smaller change in steering angle.

> No citations just experience & thought experiments. Let's consider what
> happens when you push on the head tube of a bike, holding the bars fixed.
> With zero trail there will be no twisting of the head tube around the
> head tube axis because the tire/road contact point is directly on the
> axis. As you increase the trail & the actual contact point moves away
> from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces increase. Now how do
> you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a sideways force on the
> bike.

I currently have no strong opinions how wind factors into this, which is
why I said "at least with regard to holes and bumps". I have only rarely
experienced steering trouble due to cross winds, and then only when the
wind is strong enough that I have to lean noticeably in order to stay
upright. I don't use disc wheels, or even "aero" wheels, which probably
would create different steering effects in the wind.

> This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed) but the front of the
> bike can get pushed sideways. If there was zero trail, the front wheel
> would act fixed like the rear and the front wheel would still be tracking
> the direction of travel. As trail increases, any rotation of the fork
> translates into a larger offset of the contact point and affects the
> direction of travel of the bike.

What makes you think a larger offset of the contact point affects direction
of travel, and what do you think is the nature of this effect?

On a vehicle that stays upright when it turns (car, tricycle), it is the
steering angle, not the contact offset, that affects turning radius.
Although bicycle dynamics are clearly different, it seems unlikely to me
that this would be reversed.

> The more flexible the front triangle the more affect this has on the
> bike. As far as holes, cracks, etc my belief is that the shorter the
> trail the easier it is for the rider to resist the change caused by the
> outside influence. Again consider the differences from zero trail to
> something larger.

Would you then recommend long distance riders switch from touring bikes to
racing bikes?

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover

ML <[email protected]> writes:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Only if you take the party line at face value.

>> I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

There is a "party line" only to the people who want to appear like
they have superior and arcane knowledge. The rest of us are just
trying to separate myth and lore from reality, and are usually happy
to get real facts.

> The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without
> consideration of other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously
> believes the party line but I have my doubts if he's really
> considered the other possibilities

Which might just be why he's asking the questions and trying to get
reliable information.

>>>Longer trail will help a bike track better but if you get inputs to
>>>the steering outside of your control (wind, holes, bumps, ...)
>>>longer trail will actually make your bike more sensitive. It's a
>>>longer lever arm.

>> This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes
>> and bumps. Do you have any citations to support this? If steering
>> does indeed have to do directly with length of the lever arm, it
>> seems to me that a bump will result in a fixed lateral
>> displacement, which for a longer lever arm will result in a smaller
>> change in steering angle.

> No citations just experience & thought experiments.

Your post is at least as inaccurate, but Benjamin at least has the
wits to be asking for information whereas you are just pontificating.

> Let's consider what happens when you push on the head tube of a
> bike, holding the bars fixed. With zero trail there will be no
> twisting of the head tube around the head tube axis because the
> tire/road contact point is directly on the axis.

This only works as you claim when the steering axis is normal to the
ground- e.g., a vertical head tube.

> As you increase the trail & the actual contact point moves away
> from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces increase. Now
> how do you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a sideways
> force on the bike. This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed) but
> the front of the bike can get pushed sideways.

********. The entire bike- including the rear wheel- can get leaned
over by the wind while the bike is being ridden. The front wheel can
get leaned over with the rest of the bike; there is one more degree of
freedom, of course, which is the turning of the fork along the
steering axis. That can happen on a bike with 100 mm of trail or 0 mm
of trail, so long as the steering axis is not vertical. Your
description also neglects the effects of gravity and the rider's
weight, and also the self-centering action caused by the angle o the
steering axis.

> If there was zero trail, the front wheel would act fixed like the
> rear and the front wheel would still be tracking the direction of
> travel.

Again, this is utter malarkey.

> As trail increases, any rotation of the fork translates into a
> larger offset of the contact point and affects the direction of
> travel of the bike.

You mean the bike steers? Yet the bike becomes more stable as trail
increases, not less stable. Your description makes it sound as though
increased trail results in less stability. I think you're confusing
trail and fork offset (also called rake) which have an inverse
relationship with each other.

> The more flexible the front triangle the more affect this has on the
> bike. As far as holes, cracks, etc my belief is that the shorter
> the trail the easier it is for the rider to resist the change caused
> by the outside influence. Again consider the differences from zero
> trail to something larger.

My experience is that the effects of trail on road anomalies are
minimal and easily countered, whether riding a track bike with a large
amount of trail or a touring bike with less trail. There is a
difference in feel, and IME bikes with less trail are less affected by
lean angles when cornering.

Much is made about trail, and yet the practical differences are few
and easily compensated by rider skill. The design parameters of a
bicycle are such that variations in trail are really quite small,
compared to the URB experiments which used utterly huge differences in
trail- including one bike with so much trail that it could balance
alone, without a rider, and was not perturbed by local anomalies in
the road surface (exactly the opposite of your claim). You can read
about it in Whitt and Wilson (and possibly Popadopoulus and Wilson).
There's also an interesting article in the Rivendell Reader #31, pp
30-33, which compared bikes with different forks, one resulting in
trail of 105 mm and the other in trail of 37 mm. The "standard" trail
for a road bike is about 60 mm.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Benjamin Lewis wrote:

>>>I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

>>The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without consideration of
>>other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously believes the party line
>>but I have my doubts if he's really considered the other possibilities

> You may doubt as much as you want, but I disagree with many "commonly
> accepted facts". I'm still not sure what the commonly accepted facts *are*
> when it comes to steering geometry.

That's good.

>>>This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and
>>>bumps. Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does
>>>indeed have to do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me
>>>that a bump will result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a
>>>longer lever arm will result in a smaller change in steering angle.

>>No citations just experience & thought experiments. Let's consider what
>>happens when you push on the head tube of a bike, holding the bars fixed.
>>With zero trail there will be no twisting of the head tube around the
>>head tube axis because the tire/road contact point is directly on the
>>axis. As you increase the trail & the actual contact point moves away
>>from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces increase. Now how do
>>you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a sideways force on the
>>bike.

> I currently have no strong opinions how wind factors into this, which is
> why I said "at least with regard to holes and bumps". I have only rarely
> experienced steering trouble due to cross winds, and then only when the
> wind is strong enough that I have to lean noticeably in order to stay
> upright. I don't use disc wheels, or even "aero" wheels, which probably
> would create different steering effects in the wind.

I've experienced severe wind effects on a bike using regular wheels &
aero wheels. This was the motivation for thought experiments on what
was happening with my bike whilst struggling with a major handling issue.

>>This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed) but the front of the
>>bike can get pushed sideways. If there was zero trail, the front wheel
>>would act fixed like the rear and the front wheel would still be tracking
>>the direction of travel. As trail increases, any rotation of the fork
>>translates into a larger offset of the contact point and affects the
>>direction of travel of the bike.

> What makes you think a larger offset of the contact point affects direction
> of travel, and what do you think is the nature of this effect?

If the fork turns due to some input, the tire contact patch moves away
from the center line of the bike. And by the way, this movement is
caused by a change in the steering angle! For any angle, larger trail =
larger change. You are now in an unbalanced state. Something must
change or you fall over. You must steer the bike back under you.
Unfortunately with a flexible triangle, the counter steer can cause you
to overshoot the centerline, repeat as necessary. Add lots of wind
effects and you end up with a bike that can barely be ridden.

> On a vehicle that stays upright when it turns (car, tricycle), it is the
> steering angle, not the contact offset, that affects turning radius.
> Although bicycle dynamics are clearly different, it seems unlikely to me
> that this would be reversed.
>

>>The more flexible the front triangle the more affect this has on the
>>bike. As far as holes, cracks, etc my belief is that the shorter the
>>trail the easier it is for the rider to resist the change caused by the
>>outside influence. Again consider the differences from zero trail to
>>something larger.

> Would you then recommend long distance riders switch from touring bikes to
> racing bikes?

No. Large trail is stable. The weight of a loaded touring bike
probably helps keep the entire system moving straight down the road as
the energy required to change the direction of this system is much
higher than that for a lightweight racing bike.

Once again, MOO
Matt

Tim McNamara wrote:
> ML <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Benjamin Lewis wrote:

>>>I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

> There is a "party line" only to the people who want to appear like
> they have superior and arcane knowledge. The rest of us are just
> trying to separate myth and lore from reality, and are usually happy
> to get real facts.
>

>>The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without
>>consideration of other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously
>>believes the party line but I have my doubts if he's really
>>considered the other possibilities

> Which might just be why he's asking the questions and trying to get
> reliable information.

Note in the following statement:
No. My criticism is that Forester is claiming bicycles with long

This isn't asking questions, this is stating his opionion of trail &
sensitivity. The reason for my original append.

>>>This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes
>>>and bumps. Do you have any citations to support this? If steering
>>>does indeed have to do directly with length of the lever arm, it
>>>seems to me that a bump will result in a fixed lateral
>>>displacement, which for a longer lever arm will result in a smaller
>>>change in steering angle.

>>No citations just experience & thought experiments.

> Your post is at least as inaccurate, but Benjamin at least has the
> wits to be asking for information whereas you are just pontificating.
>

>>Let's consider what happens when you push on the head tube of a
>>bike, holding the bars fixed. With zero trail there will be no
>>twisting of the head tube around the head tube axis because the
>>tire/road contact point is directly on the axis.

> This only works as you claim when the steering axis is normal to the
> ground- e.g., a vertical head tube.

That's incorrect. If the trail is zero you are turning a wheel around a
circular circumfernce of zero. It's essentially a point on the ground.

>> As you increase the trail & the actual contact point moves away
>>from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces increase. Now
>>how do you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a sideways
>>force on the bike. This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed) but
>>the front of the bike can get pushed sideways.

> ********. The entire bike- including the rear wheel- can get leaned
> over by the wind while the bike is being ridden. The front wheel can
> get leaned over with the rest of the bike; there is one more degree of
> freedom, of course, which is the turning of the fork along the
> steering axis. That can happen on a bike with 100 mm of trail or 0 mm
> of trail, so long as the steering axis is not vertical. Your
> description also neglects the effects of gravity and the rider's
> weight, and also the self-centering action caused by the angle o the
> steering axis.

Of course it'll lean. This isn't about lean. It's about rotation of
the fork in the head tube. Pushing on the rear end of the bike won't
cause a rotation around anything except the ground because it's fixed in
the frame. Read the append.

>>If there was zero trail, the front wheel would act fixed like the
>>rear and the front wheel would still be tracking the direction of
>>travel.

> Again, this is utter malarkey.

Prove your point to me. If you have zero trail you can't steer. You'll
fall over.

>>As trail increases, any rotation of the fork translates into a
>>larger offset of the contact point and affects the direction of
>>travel of the bike.

> You mean the bike steers? Yet the bike becomes more stable as trail
> increases, not less stable. Your description makes it sound as though
> increased trail results in less stability. I think you're confusing
> trail and fork offset (also called rake) which have an inverse
> relationship with each other.

This is about sensitive steering. A bike can be stable and still have
sensitive steering. And this is about trail, not rake or offset.

>>The more flexible the front triangle the more affect this has on the
>>bike. As far as holes, cracks, etc my belief is that the shorter
>>the trail the easier it is for the rider to resist the change caused
>>by the outside influence. Again consider the differences from zero
>>trail to something larger.

> My experience is that the effects of trail on road anomalies are
> minimal and easily countered, whether riding a track bike with a large
> amount of trail or a touring bike with less trail. There is a
> difference in feel, and IME bikes with less trail are less affected by
> lean angles when cornering.

Funny thing that you mention track bikes. I think this is a perfect
example of what I'm talking about. Think about it. You've just
contradicted yourself.

> Much is made about trail, and yet the practical differences are few
> and easily compensated by rider skill. The design parameters of a
> bicycle are such that variations in trail are really quite small,
> compared to the URB experiments which used utterly huge differences in
> trail- including one bike with so much trail that it could balance
> alone, without a rider, and was not perturbed by local anomalies in
> the road surface (exactly the opposite of your claim). You can read
> about it in Whitt and Wilson (and possibly Popadopoulus and Wilson).
> There's also an interesting article in the Rivendell Reader #31, pp
> 30-33, which compared bikes with different forks, one resulting in
> trail of 105 mm and the other in trail of 37 mm. The "standard" trail
> for a road bike is about 60 mm.

I've read a lot of this, including the URBs.

As always, MOO
Matt

ML <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >>Only if you take the party line at face value.

> > I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

> The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without consideration of
> other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously believes the party line
> but I have my doubts if he's really considered the other possibilities
>

> >>Longer trail will help a bike track better but if you get inputs to the
> >>steering outside of your control (wind, holes, bumps, ...) longer trail
> >>will actually make your bike more sensitive. It's a longer lever arm.

> > This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and bumps.
> > Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does indeed have to
> > do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me that a bump will
> > result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a longer lever arm will
> > result in a smaller change in steering angle.
> >

> No citations just experience & thought experiments. Let's consider what
> happens when you push on the head tube of a bike, holding the bars
> fixed. With zero trail there will be no twisting of the head tube
> around the head tube axis because the tire/road contact point is
> directly on the axis. As you increase the trail & the actual contact
> point moves away from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces
> increase. Now how do you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a
> sideways force on the bike. This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed)
> but the front of the bike can get pushed sideways. If there was zero
> trail, the front wheel would act fixed like the rear and the front wheel
> would still be tracking the direction of travel. As trail increases,
> any rotation of the fork translates into a larger offset of the contact
> point and affects the direction of travel of the bike.

I think you have this backwards (if I'm understanding your thought
experiment). Start with a bike whose fork is straight up and down with
no offset (zero trail). If you turn the handlebars five degrees, the
contact patch of the tire (which can be considered an arrow of sorts)
would also turn five degrees.

Now take the opposite extreme -- the fork juts out from the frame to
the hub running parallel to the ground (like a chopper, only more so).
Now as you turn the handlebars five degrees, the direction of the
contact patch will change hardly at all. (The movement of the
handlebars will translate into a flopping from side to side of the
wheel above the contact patch.)

Gary Young wrote:
> ML <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Benjamin Lewis wrote:

>>>I wasn't aware there was a "party line".

>>The "party line" is the commonly accepted facts without consideration of
>>other possibilities. Benjamin Lewis obviously believes the party line
>>but I have my doubts if he's really considered the other possibilities

>>>This is contrary to my experience, at least with regard to holes and bumps.
>>>Do you have any citations to support this? If steering does indeed have to
>>>do directly with length of the lever arm, it seems to me that a bump will
>>>result in a fixed lateral displacement, which for a longer lever arm will
>>>result in a smaller change in steering angle.
>>>

>>No citations just experience & thought experiments. Let's consider what
>>happens when you push on the head tube of a bike, holding the bars
>>fixed. With zero trail there will be no twisting of the head tube
>>around the head tube axis because the tire/road contact point is
>>directly on the axis. As you increase the trail & the actual contact
>>point moves away from the 0-trail contact point, the twisting forces
>>increase. Now how do you twist this in real life? A strong wind puts a
>>sideways force on the bike. This force doesn't affect the rear (fixed)
>>but the front of the bike can get pushed sideways. If there was zero
>>trail, the front wheel would act fixed like the rear and the front wheel
>>would still be tracking the direction of travel. As trail increases,
>>any rotation of the fork translates into a larger offset of the contact
>>point and affects the direction of travel of the bike.

> I think you have this backwards (if I'm understanding your thought
> experiment). Start with a bike whose fork is straight up and down with
> no offset (zero trail). If you turn the handlebars five degrees, the
> contact patch of the tire (which can be considered an arrow of sorts)
> would also turn five degrees.

Sorry, with this configuration the contact point only rotates. THe
wheel will turn 5degrees but the contact point will not move in space

> Now take the opposite extreme -- the fork juts out from the frame to
> the hub running parallel to the ground (like a chopper, only more so).
> Now as you turn the handlebars five degrees, the direction of the
> contact patch will change hardly at all. (The movement of the
> handlebars will translate into a flopping from side to side of the
> wheel above the contact patch.)

It's all a matter of reference. The frame is the reference so in this
example the contact point will move to the side one tire radius.

[email protected] wrote:

> If you have zero trail you can't steer. You'll fall over.

Huh? I think you need to reexamine your model of how bicycle steering
works. Of course you can steer on a bicycle with zero trail. It's been
done. People have even successfully ridden bicycles with negative trail.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>If you have zero trail you can't steer. You'll fall over.

> Huh? I think you need to reexamine your model of how bicycle steering
> works. Of course you can steer on a bicycle with zero trail. It's been
> done. People have even successfully ridden bicycles with negative trail.

We aren't talking about negtive trail, we're talking about zero trail.
If you have zero trail and you lean your bike over while riding it, how
do you make the bike steer back under you?

MOO,
Matt