Fixed gear via JB Weld and threadlocker

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
: She, and her identical twin sister Ashley, are tv / movie stars. I

: about them, although I don't recall where (maybe a radio DJ or something).
: --
: Rick Onanian

probably more easily recognized by the moniker "The Olsen Twins."

not that i track pop culture. that was a few years back, tho and certainly fails the "so two weeks
ago" litmus test in common use by the ever powerful and prevalent suburbanicus teenicus sub species
mentula magna (or so they'd like to think).

(i'm quite sure i massacred the faux latin endings, sorry).
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Are you sure you didn't get them mixed up with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie trying to survive one
month living on a farm? -tom

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:24:24 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Ok, leaving aside the comparison of the various people you listed, or how they rate their
> >relative positions on the scale, I gotta know. I recognized the names, except this one. Who or
> >what is a Mary Kate
Olsen?

> She, and her identical twin sister Ashley, are tv / movie stars. I

> about them, although I don't recall where (maybe a radio DJ or something).
> --
> Rick Onanian

I have come to the realization that I know WAY too much about this for my own comfort. If I share it
with y'all, maybe I'll seem more normal.

Yeah right...

In <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> opined:

> She, and her identical twin sister Ashley,

They're actually fraternal twins.

> are tv / movie stars. I guess they recently came of age;

Not quite yet:

http://www.jaboobie.com/olsen.html

> about them, although I don't recall where (maybe a radio DJ or something).

I think I heard that one - they were talking about throwing them at cyclists or something?

--
Dave Salovesh [email protected] (REPLACE example WITH mindspring TO EMAIL ME)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:04:10 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Are you sure you didn't get them mixed up with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie trying to survive one
>month living on a farm?

That's a whole different pile of slop, but just as applicable.
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:13:07 GMT, Dave Salovesh <[email protected]>
wrote:
>> She, and her identical twin sister Ashley,
>
>They're actually fraternal twins.

I thought they were identical; they have been used interchangeably as one character in at least one
show -- on Full House, they both played a single character. They do look similar.

>> are tv / movie stars. I guess they recently came of age;
>
>Not quite yet: http://www.jaboobie.com/olsen.html

Well, whaddya know, they are kinda hot after all! I can't say as I've seen them since Full House.

>> about them, although I don't recall where (maybe a radio DJ or something).
>
>I think I heard that one - they were talking about throwing them at cyclists or something?

Must have been a Clear Channel station...
--
Rick Onanian

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Salovesh wrote:
> > In <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
> > opined:
> >
> >>I wonder how permanent "permanent" really is.
>
> Dave Salovesh wrote:
>
> > Permatex "Permanent Red" lists a typical breakaway strength of 189 inch-pounds.
> > http://www.permatex.com/MSDS_data/tds_industrial/26250.pdf
>
> That's for a 3/8" bolt. Multiply it by 2.7 for the 1 3/8" diameter of a standard sprocket thread.

No pro expertise, but I expect the threadlocker torque to have the form: K * area * moment arm where
K is the force per unit area of threadlocker material area is 2*pi* radius * thread thickness moment
arm is the thread radius

Both the area and the moment arm increase by the ratio of the diameters, so the torque increases by
the square of same. I get closer to 3.67 than 2.7 for (11/8 / 3/8) so I would est. that the
breakaway torque is 13.4 * 189 inch-pound. (3.67 * 3.67 * 189) grand total of 2541 in-lb

If a 200lb rider stands on the horiz. 6.7" crank geared 48:24
(2:1 torque reduction) he produces 670 in-lb at the hub. There are lower gears and skilled folk can
produce more crank torque than this, but its a start.

There is also that pesky 1" matter where I hope that I can use the bottom of the prevail strength
range, but also there is the FW thread-on friction helping. Then there's that matter of peel
strength... but it just might work.

> The spec doesn't mention the depth of thread engagement involved, just says a standard 3/8 - 16
> nut, which is probably a bit thicker than a typical track sprocket.

I measured the threads on an (other) FW, they are slightly shorter that the thickness that I
found for a standard 3/8 nut. If the nut threads are less than full thickness its not much impact
to the number.

> Not sure what effect the much narrower thread pitch would have.

First impression is pitch doesn't affect area therefore no change. depth of thread (peak to valley
distance) seems to have more potential to mess up this estimate a bit. Ed (remove spam to reply)

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:13:07 GMT, Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> She, and her identical twin sister Ashley,
> >
> >They're actually fraternal twins.
>
> I thought they were identical; they have been used interchangeably as one character in at least
> one show -- on Full House, they both played a single character. They do look similar.
>
> >> are tv / movie stars. I guess they recently came of age;
> >
> >Not quite yet: http://www.jaboobie.com/olsen.html
>
> Well, whaddya know, they are kinda hot after all! I can't say as I've seen them since Full House.
>

> >> about them, although I don't recall where (maybe a radio DJ or something).
> >
> >I think I heard that one - they were talking about throwing them at cyclists or something?
>
> Must have been a Clear Channel station...

Dear Rick, David J., David R., Tom, and David S.,

Next you'll be asking who Tom Clancy and Thomas Pynchon are:

Diatribe of a Mad Housewife Jan. 25, 2004

Marge writes a novel called "The Harpooned Heart" (using Homer and Ned as inspiration for her
characters) and gets endorsements from writers playing themselves, including guest-stars Tom Clancy
and Thomas Pynchon (as themselves). Meanwhile Homer buys the book on tape, read by guest-stars the
Olsen twins.

If you're not going to keep up with the material, I don't know why you've signed up for the course.

More in sorrow than in anger,

Carl Fogel

In <[email protected]>,
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> opined:

> Don't even head down that path. I looked at the site. Geez, my _younger_ daughter is the same age
> as them; within 2 weeks. Those are, folks, children.

Apologies if I left room for a different interpretation. I simply opted for the "consider the
source" approach. I would hope that not many participants here view radio personalities in general
with much approval or credence, with this message or any other.

The rest, while true and disappointing, is IMHO a topic for another place and time.

--

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:13:07 +0000, Dave Salovesh wrote:
>
> > I have come to the realization that I know WAY too much about this for my own comfort. If I
> > share it with y'all, maybe I'll seem more normal.
> >
> > Yeah right...
> >
> > In <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> opined:
> >
> >> She, and her identical twin sister Ashley,
> >
> > They're actually fraternal twins.
> >
> >> are tv / movie stars. I guess they recently came of age;
> >
> > Not quite yet:
> >
> > http://www.jaboobie.com/olsen.html
> >

> >> about them,
>
> Don't even head down that path. I looked at the site. Geez, my _younger_ daughter is the same age
> as them; within 2 weeks. Those are, folks, children.

Dear Dave,

I hope that it's not too late to send your younger daughter to the same convent where your older
daughter is presumably happy.

Helpfully,

Carl Fogel