Fixed gear w/ Pitlocks/ keyed skewers....problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Beattie, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Mark Beattie

    Mark Beattie Guest

    I've been riding an old Gitane "Pro Tour de France" as my fixed gear,
    with the Pitlock locking skewer system on the wheels and seatpost, but
    the problem I'm running into is that the wheel tends to loosen, once
    per week I re-tighten.

    I know that Pitlock now sells for $80 a solid axle kit, but what I'd
    like to either keep using this setup, or use some other "theft
    deterrent" system with a cheap nutted solid axle, or a
    chain-tensioning adapter as seen on BMX bikes or the newer track
    fork-ends that Paul makes for custom single speeds, only retro-fitted
    to the simplex forward facing long dropouts.

    Does anyone have any pictures of a Campy or Simplex drop out fitted
    with such a chain-tensioning device?

    This bike is my all-the-time bike in Washington DC and I use a
    mini-Ulock, which is why everything on it is locked down, and I like
    the system so far, it's just the problem of keeping the chain tight
    enough. Thoughts?

    Mark Beattie
    Washington D.C.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Beattie wrote:

    > I've been riding an old Gitane "Pro Tour de France" as my fixed gear,
    > with the Pitlock locking skewer system on the wheels and seatpost, but
    > the problem I'm running into is that the wheel tends to loosen, once
    > per week I re-tighten.

    I'm not surprised. Securing a rear wheel with horizontal fork ends
    requires either a full sized threaded axle, or a good enclosed-cam type
    quick release skewer. Systems like the Pitlock that try to tighten a
    little 5 mm thread can not be expected to hold.

    See my article on skewers for how to tell the good ones from the bad
    ones http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers

    > I know that Pitlock now sells for $80 a solid axle kit, but what I'd
    > like to either keep using this setup, or use some other "theft
    > deterrent" system with a cheap nutted solid axle, or a
    > chain-tensioning adapter as seen on BMX bikes or the newer track
    > fork-ends that Paul makes for custom single speeds, only retro-fitted
    > to the simplex forward facing long dropouts.
    >
    > Does anyone have any pictures of a Campy or Simplex drop out fitted
    > with such a chain-tensioning device?

    The "banjo bolt" type chain tensioners only work on old-fashioned
    rear-opening fork ends, not on the modern drop-out type your bike has.

    > This bike is my all-the-time bike in Washington DC and I use a
    > mini-Ulock, which is why everything on it is locked down, and I like
    > the system so far, it's just the problem of keeping the chain tight
    > enough. Thoughts?

    If you use your U-lock* properly, it will fully secure the rear wheel.
    The anti-theft skewer is only needed in front.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy

    Sheldon "Shimano Skewers Beat All" Brown

    *"D-lock" to my U.K. readers...it's curious how our two countries differ
    by 90 degrees about this! Another way to look at it, the U.S. "U-lock"
    usage envisions the lock in the open position, whilst the U.K. "D-lock"
    usage envisions it in the locked position.

    Does this say something deel and profound about the cultural differences
    betwixt our respective societies? Naaah, probably not...
    | Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have |
    | legislated out of nothing, "blasphemy" is the most |
    | amazing--with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" |
    | fighting it out for second place. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Mark Beattie wrote:

    > I've been riding an old Gitane "Pro Tour de France" as my fixed gear,
    > with the Pitlock locking skewer system on the wheels and seatpost, but
    > the problem I'm running into is that the wheel tends to loosen, once
    > per week I re-tighten.
    >
    > I know that Pitlock now sells for $80 a solid axle kit, but what I'd
    > like to either keep using this setup, or use some other "theft
    > deterrent" system with a cheap nutted solid axle, or a
    > chain-tensioning adapter as seen on BMX bikes or the newer track
    > fork-ends that Paul makes for custom single speeds, only retro-fitted
    > to the simplex forward facing long dropouts.
    >
    > Does anyone have any pictures of a Campy or Simplex drop out fitted
    > with such a chain-tensioning device?
    >
    > This bike is my all-the-time bike in Washington DC and I use a
    > mini-Ulock, which is why everything on it is locked down, and I like
    > the system so far, it's just the problem of keeping the chain tight
    > enough. Thoughts?

    Get a regular track axle, a track wrench for the days you
    flat and a three foot cable for your front wheel.
    Lock your frame and rear wheel to something steel, loop the
    cable into itself around the front rim and pass the other
    loop through your lock.
    There's no reason to clutter up a horizontal-end bike (
    facing either way- it matters not)with a chain tensioner and
    you should avoid a tensioner with a fixed wheel anyway.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Mark Beattie

    Mark Beattie Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > If you use your U-lock* properly, it will fully secure the rear wheel.
    > The anti-theft skewer is only needed in front.

    I had wondered about doing that. So from now on I just lock the frame
    by the rear wheel, and maybe for a little extra theft resistance for
    my high-quality Shimano QR I could use a band-clamp around the chain
    or seat stay. I'm just a little paranoid is all.

    Thanks Sheldon!

    Mark Beattie

  5. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    [email protected] (Mark Beattie) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been riding an old Gitane "Pro Tour de France" as my fixed gear,
    > with the Pitlock locking skewer system on the wheels and seatpost, but
    > the problem I'm running into is that the wheel tends to loosen, once
    > per week I re-tighten.

    are you sure the wheel is moving, is the wheel asymmetrical in the
    strays, and do you skid?
    if i add a few skids to my commute, i will have to remove the chain
    slack saturday morning while i can go for weeks w/o any skids.

    > I know that Pitlock now sells for $80 a solid axle kit, but what I'd
    > like to either keep using this setup, or use some other "theft
    > deterrent" system with a cheap nutted solid axle, or a
    > chain-tensioning adapter as seen on BMX bikes or the newer track
    > fork-ends that Paul makes for custom single speeds, only retro-fitted
    > to the simplex forward facing long dropouts.
    >
    > Does anyone have any pictures of a Campy or Simplex drop out fitted
    > with such a chain-tensioning device?
    >
    > This bike is my all-the-time bike in Washington DC and I use a
    > mini-Ulock, which is why everything on it is locked down, and I like
    > the system so far, it's just the problem of keeping the chain tight
    > enough. Thoughts?
    >
    > Mark Beattie
    > Washington D.C.

  6. yoitbeross

    yoitbeross Guest

    > Mark Beattie

    Would this be Mark Beattie who once lived in Olympia? This is Ross, who
    still lives in Olympia...

    Ross