Fixed hub gear

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Over on ebay there's a bloke selling a SA 3-speed fixed-gear hub. It's being sold as a collectible
    as it is dated 1950 so the price is fairly high, $295 reserve. I did wonder though whether
    multi-speed fixed-gear hubs still exist or if any modern hud gears can be made fixed.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:

    > Over on ebay there's a bloke selling a SA 3-speed fixed-gear hub. It's being sold as a collectible
    > as it is dated 1950 so the price is fairly high, $295 reserve. I did wonder though whether
    > multi-speed fixed-gear hubs still exist or if any modern hud gears can be made fixed.

    Sheldon Brown (who else) has an article on converting a 3speed hub gear to a 2speed fixed.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html

    It sounds pretty sick...

    Regards,

    -david makes do with single speed fixed

  3. On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:01:29 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:
    >>
    >> Over on ebay there's a bloke selling a SA 3-speed fixed-gear hub. It's being sold as a
    >> collectible as it is dated 1950 so the price is fairly high, $295 reserve. I did wonder though
    >> whether multi-speed fixed-gear hubs still exist or if any modern hud gears can be made fixed.
    >
    > Sheldon Brown (who else) has an article on converting a 3speed hub gear to a 2speed fixed.
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html

    Doh, why didn't I look at the oracle first!?

    > It sounds pretty sick...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -david makes do with single speed fixed

    And so might I, it was just a passing thought considering the hills round my way.

    Colin

  4. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Over on ebay there's a bloke selling a SA 3-speed fixed-gear hub. It's being sold as a collectible
    > as it is dated 1950 so the price is fairly high, $295 reserve. I did wonder though whether
    > multi-speed fixed-gear hubs still exist or if any modern hud gears can be made fixed.
    >
    > Colin

    I've got one of these on a Russ of the same era (hub date code Jun 1950)
    - bike a few years older than me. Rides very nicely. I've seen them go for a lot more money,
    especially if they have the correct changer with them.

    Pete

    --
    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply