Fixed Hub Question

megatronstein

Feb 5, 2006
I don't get why people DON'T normally use quick release on their rear track or fixed gear hub. Is it just tradition and preference at this point, or is there a practical reason? Thanks. -Steve

You cannot tighten a quick release skewer enough to prevent it from slipping while riding. It's not a good idea.

TheMadButcher said:
You cannot tighten a quick release skewer enough to prevent it from slipping while riding. It's not a good idea.
It works but you have to check it frequently. Dont even try to do anything skid related. I had a skewer on my fixie but it slipped a tiny bit.(scary) you can replace the hallow axlw with a solid very easily if you pirate an old set of wheels from and old bike and steal the axle. threads are the same

TheMadButcher said:
I've got bolts on my trackie and even that is not enough pressure to stop it from slipping. I've ground down a small nut and placed it in between the axle and the frame dropout to stop it slipping. :cool:

It's a bit 'bush mechanic' but it works a treat. I'll just grind up another size nut if I change the gearing.

I use chain tugs on my Pompino. Great for setting the chain tension and heaps easier to tighten up the nuts.

The nut idea is genious, beats buying a tensioner. If done right a QR can be up to task, but I just run solid axles on my SS after slipping a bit to much. Scary is right. There are ways out there to do it but running a threaded axle is easier, at least to me. Plus the nostalgic look to, I guess.

Craig

wb 86 said:
The nut idea is genious, beats buying a tensioner. If done right a QR can be up to task, but I just run solid axles on my SS after slipping a bit to much. Scary is right. There are ways out there to do it but running a threaded axle is easier, at least to me. Plus the nostalgic look to, I guess.

Craig
Although if you take your singlespeed on the road you'll need a shifter. I have to take a heavy adjustable one :mad:. It needs to be long enough to get enough torque on the nuts. Adjustable because my front and rear nuts are different sizes!!

TheMadButcher said:
Use tracknuts and put a Campy peanut-butter-spreader track wrench in with your spare tires. QRs won't hold.