Fixed my old Avocet 40 computer

Joe LoBuglio

Guest
Many years ago I stopped using my Avocet 40 computer (circa 1990)
because it kept resetting itself. At seemingly random times, pressing
one button (e.g. to change modes) or two briefly (e.g. to clear the
distance) would reset the unit; all information would be lost and I
would have to enter wheel diameter and all other parameters. This
happened maybe every 5 to 10 button presses. Recently I got a garage
sale bike with an Avocet harness, so I put on my old unit (yup, pack-
rat) and the same thing was happening.

I snapped open up the unit (which I had done before to troubleshoot)
and this time I cut the tape holding the metal spring/buttons on the
circuit board. I thought maybe this was acting as a week conductor
between the two buttons and making one button press seem like two. The
spring/buttons fell off and I just placed them back carefully before
reassembly. The unit now works great. I don't know if my tape theory
is right or if just repositioning the spring/buttons did the trick.

Just FYI

Joe LoBuglio

Joe LoBuglio wrote:
> Many years ago I stopped using my Avocet 40 computer (circa 1990)
> because it kept resetting itself. At seemingly random times, pressing
> one button (e.g. to change modes) or two briefly (e.g. to clear the
> distance) would reset the unit; all information would be lost and I
> would have to enter wheel diameter and all other parameters. This
> happened maybe every 5 to 10 button presses.

I have an Avocet 40 from the same era, and have experienced the same
symptoms. Installing a fresh battery makes all the problems go away. I
buy a package of zinc air hearing aid batteries, and replace them a
couple of times a year (whenever the unit starts acting flaky). About
once a year, I clean the battery contacts with alcohol, and bend the
center contact up slightly. The classic symptom is the complete reset
when you just want a partial reset.

Art Harris

On Jan 30, 8:13 am, "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have an Avocet 40 from the same era, and have experienced the same
> symptoms. Installing a fresh battery makes all the problems go away. I
> buy a package of zinc air hearing aid batteries, and replace them a
> couple of times a year (whenever the unit starts acting flaky). About
> once a year, I clean the battery contacts with alcohol, and bend the
> center contact up slightly. The classic symptom is the complete reset
> when you just want a partial reset.

Historically, the problem persisted when I put in a new battery (the
zinc-air ones you mentioned). Perhaps my manipulation indirectly
caused the battery settle better.

BTW, this time I am using a different battery, an Energizer 357, that
I had lying around because they also work in a thermometer we used to
have. I don't believe the package lists the Avocet replacement battery
number, but it works anyway.

Thanks for the info, that is good to know. I will expect it to happen
again.