Fixed Wheel Bike Accident

decca234uk

Jan 18, 2010
A friend of mine recently bought a fixed wheel bike. he's been commutting to work on a road bike for years and fancied a change. he's been reading a lot about fixed wheel bikes for a few months and became obsessed by them.
He went and bought one, he said it was great and he loved it. On his third commute to work, he was pulling up at the factory gates and forgot he was on a fixed wheel, he stopped peddling and was preparing to freewheel through the gates, as soon as he stopped peddling the bike came to a stop throwing him over the handlebars. his shoes didn't release from the peddles causing him a bad leg injury to go with a head injury, neck injury and an arm injury. He was quiet shaken up and was off work for two weeks.
When he returned he still has a leg injury and is not fit to cycle. I asked him what he'd done with the bike.
"It's in the garage."
"Are you coming on it again?"
"Am I f**k, I'm going to sell it."
The moral of the story is if you switch from a road bike to a fixed wheel bike for commuting, remember you're on a fixed wheel bike by putting a note on your handlebars or something.

dam i never understood the purpose of them fixi bikes, to me they seem like a waste of time, i know all the cool kids are selling there skate boards and buyin fixies, f__k that i will stick to my spandex,cycling shoes an plenty of gears to get me where i wanna be.

a old vid but always fun to watch
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4"]YouTube - Performance[/ame]

I don't mind fixies, I mean each to his own. What really saddens me though is when a kid gets a really nice vintage bike and then tears it down to the frame, cuts off the shift lever bosses and the rear derailluer bosses, paints it, and makes a fixie out of it.