fixie advice

jovanstar

Nov 3, 2004
I am looking to purchase a fixed gear track roadbike this coming spring. Figured, now is the best time to start researching which are the best frames and why, and gear ratios to consider. I'm pretty new to fixies so any advice would help. Any pointers on what to look out for? I've seen bikes converted to fixed gear and also seen bikes that are sold as fixed gear. Any apparent differences I am missing here?

jovanstar said:
I am looking to purchase a fixed gear track roadbike this coming spring. Figured, now is the best time to start researching which are the best frames and why, and gear ratios to consider. I'm pretty new to fixies so any advice would help. Any pointers on what to look out for? I've seen bikes converted to fixed gear and also seen bikes that are sold as fixed gear. Any apparent differences I am missing here?

First determine it's function i.e. is this fixie strictly for use on the velodrome or are you planning road rides?
Gear ratios should be determined by your strengths and geographic considerations on your ride. If you're a purist and refuse to have a front brake then start with lower gear ratios so that you can learn how to stop. If you choose to have a front brake (a very good thing to have for novice riders off the velodrome, I'm no novice but still use one) then you may be able to use larger gears. The hills you'll have to contend with, both up them and down them. (You don't want to find yourself out of controll on a downhill into an intersection, another reason for front brakes too)
For a first timer I'd recommend a 44/16 or lower. This isn't to fast but it isn't slow either as with a good cadence you can keep it above 20mph while respecting your knees.

As far as conversions go, track bike geometry is noticably different from road geometry, bb is higher, front end is lower, tt is shorter, that sort of thing. The geometry and the rear drop outs are the difference as far as conversions/track go. Track specific or fixies use horizontal rear dropouts to prevent your pedal strokes from removing your rear wheel mid ride and also make geting a clean drive line properly tensioned that much easier. Conversions, unless you go through the trouble of having the vertical drop outs chopped and horizontals welded on have to be very well tightened and maintained to function well and should almost never be really hammered as you run the risk of pulling your rear wheel out while riding.
There are a few frame makers that design/build fixed gear bikes specifically for use on the road. If you're commited to getting one and have a few dollars to spend then this route would probably insure your first experience is an enjoyable one. I've been riding my Urbanite for awhile now, very popular local frame here among messengers/commuters/road fixies. Also fairly inexpensive, especially if you're down south and get to work in the exchange rate.

Urbanite

There is a Track Racing section to this forum, but I don't see much reference there to Fixed road riding. If you have more questions, try
Fixed & Singlespeed
Here they ride both track and road fixed and there are many with good experience.

-There is a division among street fixed riders. Brakes or no brakes. Novice riders should ride a front brake to avoid injury, after a few thousand miles think again whether you need a brake. Don't let a fanatic tell you that the best way to learn is without one.-

I recently bought an IRO (www.irocycle.com) ... They are really really reasonably priced and get the job done. I would reccomend the jamie roy... It can take racks and fenders has road geometry and is reasonably priced. I that as long as you are NOT planning on riding the drome with it, you should look for road geometry, track is quick and can get kind of uncomfortable on longer rides. My favorite fixed I have owned was a fuji converted. I put numerous centuries and one 150 mile day in on it.
I put 5000+ miles in on a fixed last year.[

QUOTE=Glowingrod]First determine it's function i.e. is this fixie strictly for use on the velodrome or are you planning road rides?
Gear ratios should be determined by your strengths and geographic considerations on your ride. If you're a purist and refuse to have a front brake then start with lower gear ratios so that you can learn how to stop. If you choose to have a front brake (a very good thing to have for novice riders off the velodrome, I'm no novice but still use one) then you may be able to use larger gears. The hills you'll have to contend with, both up them and down them. (You don't want to find yourself out of controll on a downhill into an intersection, another reason for front brakes too)
For a first timer I'd recommend a 44/16 or lower. This isn't to fast but it isn't slow either as with a good cadence you can keep it above 20mph while respecting your knees.

As far as conversions go, track bike geometry is noticably different from road geometry, bb is higher, front end is lower, tt is shorter, that sort of thing. The geometry and the rear drop outs are the difference as far as conversions/track go. Track specific or fixies use horizontal rear dropouts to prevent your pedal strokes from removing your rear wheel mid ride and also make geting a clean drive line properly tensioned that much easier. Conversions, unless you go through the trouble of having the vertical drop outs chopped and horizontals welded on have to be very well tightened and maintained to function well and should almost never be really hammered as you run the risk of pulling your rear wheel out while riding.
There are a few frame makers that design/build fixed gear bikes specifically for use on the road. If you're commited to getting one and have a few dollars to spend then this route would probably insure your first experience is an enjoyable one. I've been riding my Urbanite for awhile now, very popular local frame here among messengers/commuters/road fixies. Also fairly inexpensive, especially if you're down south and get to work in the exchange rate.

Urbanite

There is a Track Racing section to this forum, but I don't see much reference there to Fixed road riding. If you have more questions, try
Fixed & Singlespeed
Here they ride both track and road fixed and there are many with good experience.

-There is a division among street fixed riders. Brakes or no brakes. Novice riders should ride a front brake to avoid injury, after a few thousand miles think again whether you need a brake. Don't let a fanatic tell you that the best way to learn is without one.-[/QUOTE]