Fixie lockring for road hub now available

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Press, May 10, 2004.

  1. In my surfing to learn about converting my old road bike to fixed gear
    I've heard about using an old British BB lockring to hold a track cog
    on a regular road freewheel hub.

    Looks like there's a better solution now - a road hub lockring. Found
    it at branford bike. Scroll down toward the bottom of the "track
    parts" section:

    http://www.branfordbike.com/track/track1.html

    Anybody used this thing?

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Michael Press wrote:

    > In my surfing to learn about converting my old road bike to fixed gear
    > I've heard about using an old British BB lockring to hold a track cog
    > on a regular road freewheel hub.
    >
    > Looks like there's a better solution now - a road hub lockring. Found
    > it at branford bike. Scroll down toward the bottom of the "track
    > parts" section:
    >
    > http://www.branfordbike.com/track/track1.html

    It seems unlikely that this would be any better than a BB lockring, which
    you should be able to find for a lot less than $10. The BB lockring has
    the correct thread, so what better could you have without a real track hub?

    The advantage to the track hub is that the lockring screws onto a reverse
    thread on the hub, so that if the cogwheel starts to unscrew, it tightens
    onto the reverse-threaded lockring. You can't do this on a freewheel hub,
    no matter what kind of lockring you have.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing.
    - Darse ("Darth") Vader

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In my surfing to learn about converting my old road bike to fixed gear
    >I've heard about using an old British BB lockring to hold a track cog
    >on a regular road freewheel hub.
    >
    >Looks like there's a better solution now - a road hub lockring. Found
    >it at branford bike. Scroll down toward the bottom of the "track
    >parts" section:
    >
    >http://www.branfordbike.com/track/track1.html
    >
    >Anybody used this thing?

    No, but it sounds like a $10 BB lockring.

    --Paul

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) writes:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In my surfing to learn about converting my old road bike to fixed
    >>gear I've heard about using an old British BB lockring to hold a
    >>track cog on a regular road freewheel hub.
    >>
    >>Looks like there's a better solution now - a road hub lockring.
    >>Found it at branford bike. Scroll down toward the bottom of the
    >>"track parts" section:
    >>
    >>http://www.branfordbike.com/track/track1.html
    >>
    >>Anybody used this thing?

    > No, but it sounds like a $10 BB lockring.

    And a bargain at $9.88! Sheesh! When did English BB lockrings- of
    which there are hundreds residing in old parts boxes- stop being
    something you could get for basically nothing?

  5. michael-<< In my surfing to learn about converting my old road bike to fixed
    gear
    I've heard about using an old British BB lockring to hold a track cog
    on a regular road freewheel hub. >><BR><BR>
    << Looks like there's a better solution now - a road hub lockring. Found
    it at branford bike. Scroll down toward the bottom of the "track
    parts" section:

    http://www.branfordbike.com/track/track1.html >><BR><BR>

    Hmmm, selling a steel BB lockring for $10, I'll send ya a take off one for
    free.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.