Fixie question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. vernon

    vernon Guest

    In a long drawn out series of negotiations, it is increasingly likely that I
    will be offered first refusal on a fixie.

    It's not your usual hack but a genuine 1947 Bates B.A.R (best all rounder)
    which, to the best of my knowledge, has done little more than a 1000 miles
    in the past 25 years. It has a flip flop rear wheel and is in sound
    condition though the frame would benefit from being restoved to restore its
    sheen. It's still with its original purchaser who can no longer use it due
    to detriorating knee and hip joints.

    Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    Tags:

  2. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > In a long drawn out series of negotiations, it is increasingly likely that I
    > will be offered first refusal on a fixie.
    >
    > It's not your usual hack but a genuine 1947 Bates B.A.R (best all rounder)
    > which, to the best of my knowledge, has done little more than a 1000 miles
    > in the past 25 years. It has a flip flop rear wheel and is in sound
    > condition though the frame would benefit from being restoved to restore its
    > sheen. It's still with its original purchaser who can no longer use it due
    > to detriorating knee and hip joints.
    >
    > Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    unless it's terrible a repaint will probably reduce it's value
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. vernon

    vernon Guest

    > unless it's terrible a repaint will probably reduce it's value
    > --

    I'm not too bothered about its value to collectors as I'd be unwilling to
    part with it once it's mine :)

    There's sufficient rsut around the lug work to be noticeable.

  4. IRTA "pixie question" and it called to mind a dispute on Wikipedia,
    where user CyclePat is determined to keep creating new articles on the
    motorized bicycle with every increasing levels of triviality until he
    finally gets one where the fitting of a "pixie" motor to the Light
    Delivery bicycle by Canada Cycle and Motor is counted in...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  5. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > In a long drawn out series of negotiations, it is increasingly likely that I
    > will be offered first refusal on a fixie.
    >
    > It's not your usual hack but a genuine 1947 Bates B.A.R (best all rounder)
    > which, to the best of my knowledge, has done little more than a 1000 miles
    > in the past 25 years. It has a flip flop rear wheel and is in sound
    > condition though the frame would benefit from being restoved to restore its
    > sheen. It's still with its original purchaser who can no longer use it due
    > to detriorating knee and hip joints.
    >
    > Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    A quick look at the small ads in the latest News & Views [1] seems to
    suggest that the going rate for *restored* bikes of this age & quality
    (no Bates [2] in the N&V I looked at but there were 'curly' Hetchins and
    Baines 'Flying Gates') to be around the £300 to £350 mark. I didn't see
    anything directly comparable in unrestored condition, but there were a
    number of good unrestored lightweights at £100/£120/£150.

    [1] Veteran-Cycle Club magazine
    [2] Well, there was one, but it was 1978 - mind you, it was £350 too
    --
    Andrew

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > I'm not too bothered about its value to collectors as I'd be unwilling to
    > part with it once it's mine :)

    Maybe, but it would be criminal to re-spray a bike like that with the original
    (or period at least) paint.

    The lug work etc can be touched up by someone with the suitable skills.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  7. m-gineering wrote:

    > vernon wrote:
    >
    >>In a long drawn out series of negotiations, it is increasingly likely that I
    >>will be offered first refusal on a fixie.
    >>
    >>It's not your usual hack but a genuine 1947 Bates B.A.R (best all rounder)
    >>which, to the best of my knowledge, has done little more than a 1000 miles
    >>in the past 25 years. It has a flip flop rear wheel and is in sound
    >>condition though the frame would benefit from being restoved to restore its
    >>sheen. It's still with its original purchaser who can no longer use it due
    >>to detriorating knee and hip joints.
    >>
    >>Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    > unless it's terrible a repaint will probably reduce it's value

    As we're only talking a few hundred quid (it isn't a Ferrari 250 GTO)
    I'd treat it to the respray it deserves. Reproduction decals are
    available for all the famous makes.

  8. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    >> Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    > unless it's terrible a repaint will probably reduce it's value
    > --

    Which is currently being asked for here..........

  9. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > A quick look at the small ads in the latest News & Views [1] seems to
    > suggest that the going rate for *restored* bikes of this age & quality (no
    > Bates [2] in the N&V I looked at but there were 'curly' Hetchins and
    > Baines 'Flying Gates') to be around the £300 to £350 mark. I didn't see
    > anything directly comparable in unrestored condition, but there were a
    > number of good unrestored lightweights at £100/£120/£150.
    >
    > [1] Veteran-Cycle Club magazine
    > [2] Well, there was one, but it was 1978 - mind you, it was £350 too
    > --

    Had a peek at the web site of of the club and am now fighting the urge to
    join it. I'm surprised at the prices quoted above as they are well adrift
    of
    the astronomical prices I've seen on Ebay. A TJ Hughes 'Flying Gate'
    replica frame is £300+ . I must resist...I must resist......

    The situation is reflected in the vintage stationary engine world where my
    £35 Lister would triple in value.

    Still none the wiser as to what a fair price to offer for the Bates would
    be though.

    Vernon

  10. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    vernon levy wrote:

    > >> Any ideas what would be a fair price to offer?

    > > unless it's terrible a repaint will probably reduce it's value
    > > --

    > Which is currently being asked for here..........

    With hardly giving any details about the bike in question. The first
    posting mentioning a tenner wins?

    Could be anything depending condition, parts and history upto a 1000 ukp
    --
    ---