fixie question

Mark Vieselmeye

Guest
I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but I'd
never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed was how
awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only way I could
get going was to straddle the bike before clipping in. So my
question is, is there a gracefull technique for mounting
these things?

- mark

Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

> I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed
> was how awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only
> way I could get going was to straddle the bike before
> clipping in.

That is generally the proper way to mount any bicycle.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting

Sheldon "Yippie Yi Yo Ki-Yay" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the
| month | of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know
| what sort | of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

"Mark Vieselmeyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed was
> how awkward it was just
mounting
> the bike. The only way I could get going was to straddle
> the bike before clipping in. So my question is, is there a
> gracefull technique for
mounting
> these things?
>
> - mark

That's about right, I like to keep the drive-side pedal at
2:00 so I'm on the down stroke. I try to go slow enough at
the start to get the other foot locked in. -tom

Originally posted by Sheldon Brown
Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

> I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed
> was how awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only
> way I could get going was to straddle the bike before
> clipping in.

That is generally the proper way to mount any bicycle.

> So my question is, is there a gracefull technique for
> mounting these things?

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting

Sheldon "Yippie Yi Yo Ki-Yay" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
---------+

| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the
| month | of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know
| what sort | of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

The "cowboy mount" works for me on all my bikes. Have to be a little quicker with the leg swing on the fixie and it's not *quite* as elegant but it works fine.

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mark Vieselmeyer" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> > I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed
> > was how awkward it was just
> mounting
> > the bike. The only way I could get going was to straddle
> > the bike before clipping in. So my question is, is there
> > a gracefull technique for
> mounting
> > these things?
> >
> > - mark
> >
> That's about right, I like to keep the drive-side pedal at
> 2:00 so I'm on the down stroke. I try to go slow enough at
> the start to get the other foot locked in. -tom

I do the same. Plus I have double sided SPD pedals to make
it easier.

Another Tom

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:35:36 -0600, Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:

> I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed was
> how awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only way I
> could get going was to straddle the bike before clipping
> in. So my question is, is there a gracefull technique for
> mounting these things?

We all have our preferences as to which foot to start with,
our "lead" foot. For me, it's the left. I just make sure
that pedal is at about
2:00 and start off normally. Yeah, I am over the bar when
I start, no swinging the leg over the saddle to start
off for me.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about
extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but
that they are intolerant. --Robert (_)/ (_) | F. Kennedy

Mark-<< The first thing I noticed was how awkward it was
just mounting the bike. The only way I could get going was
to straddle the bike before clipping in. So my question is,
is there a gracefull technique for mounting these things?
>><BR><BR>

Nope, double sided pedals are a great idea. I use
Speedplay Zeros.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:
>I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
>I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed was
>how awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only way I
>could get going was to straddle the bike before clipping
>in. So my question is, is there a gracefull technique for
>mounting these things?
>- mark

Here's the technique I use on my new fixie:

1. Straddle the bike.
2. Clip into the lead pedal (left for me) and move it to
2:00 (to get to 2:00, apply the front brake and put
pressure on the bars to lift the rear wheel; move the
pedal to 2:00 while the wheel is in the air).
3. In one motion (takes practice), stand on the lead pedal
to start moving, put your other foot on its pedal as it
comes around to 12:00, sit down on the seat, and clip in
the 2nd foot as it goes down toward
3:1. It's smooth and graceful when you get the hang of it.

You can gently apply the front brake during this maneuver to
help slow the pedal motion.

Michael

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

: 6:00. It's smooth and graceful when you get the hang of
: it.

: You can gently apply the front brake during this maneuver
: to help slow the pedal motion.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the "cowboy
start" that Sheldon recommends against. It sounds like some
folks here can to do it on a fixie, so maybe if I get bored
I'll practice some more. I've been fiddling with the gear
ratio a bit, and that seems to make a difference. I started
with a 42-20 and then tried 52-20 and that slows the pedals
down a bit.

- mark

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> writes:

> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>I just put together a fixie out of some spare parts, but
> :>I'd never ridden one before. The first thing I noticed
> :>was how awkward it was just mounting the bike. The only
> :>way I could get going was to straddle the bike before
> :>clipping in. So my question is, is there a gracefull
> :>technique for mounting these things?
> :>- mark
>
> : Here's the technique I use on my new fixie:
>
> : 1. Straddle the bike.
> : 2. Clip into the lead pedal (left for me) and move it to
> : 2:00 (to get to 2:00, apply the front brake and put
> : pressure on the bars to lift the rear wheel; move the
> : pedal to 2:00 while the wheel is in the air).
> : 3. In one motion (takes practice), stand on the lead
> : pedal to start moving, put your other foot on its
> : pedal as it comes around to 12:00, sit down on the
> : seat, and clip in the 2nd foot as it goes down toward
> : 6:00. It's smooth and graceful when you get the hang of
> : it.
>
> : You can gently apply the front brake during this
> : maneuver to help slow the pedal motion.
>
> I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the "cowboy
> start" that Sheldon recommends against. It sounds like
> some folks here can to do it on a fixie, so maybe if I get
> bored I'll practice some more. I've been fiddling with the
> gear ratio a bit, and that seems to make a difference. I
> started with a 42-20 and then tried 52-20 and that slows
> the pedals down a bit.
>
> - mark

I have not tried it yet, but there is a page about "The
Handlebar Mount" at
<url:http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_5.htm> Looks like it
would not apply stress to the wheels in any unusual
directions.

Jim Smith wrote:

> I have not tried it yet, but there is a page about "The
> Handlebar Mount" at
> <url:http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_5.htm> Looks like it
> would not apply stress to the wheels in any unusual
> directions.

Cool. I'll have to give this a try soon, now that my leg has
healed after my first attempt at Sheldon's rear dismount. :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

Amoebit: Amoeba/rabbit cross; it can multiply and divide at
the same time.

> > I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the
> > "cowboy start" that Sheldon recommends against.
> > - mark

After watching bull riding on OLN, while waiting for the
Lance Chronicles to start, I can believe how the "cowboy
start" on a fixie wouldn't be a problem.<OUCH>

Do you throw one hand in the air when you try to get the 2nd
foot locked in?

-tom

these things? <<<<<< SNIP

Yes there is.

I stand on the left side of my bike with my right hand
on the seat.

Next, I swing my right leg over the handlebars, straddle the
top tube, place my hands on the bars and use the brake to
lock the front wheel.

Then I locate my right foot into its toeclip, push forward
on the bars (thus lifting the rear wheel slightly) and
rotate the right pedal to the 2 o'clock position.

My next action is to simultaneously push down on the right
pedal and raise my butt onto the seat, then, as the left
pedal comes around, I flip it with the toe of my shoe and
insert my foot in the clip.

This method was demonstrated to me in England in 1952 and it
has always worked well for me.

Hope it helps you too.

Lewis.