Fixie skid with no hands?

I was riding home in the beautiful seattle weather today without my
hands on the handlebars, then reached down to grab them to skid to a
stop on my fixed gear. And I wondered: is it possible to skid "no
hands?" Anyone ever done it or seen it done?

On 5 May 2006 20:56:37 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was riding home in the beautiful seattle weather today without my
>hands on the handlebars, then reached down to grab them to skid to a
>stop on my fixed gear. And I wondered: is it possible to skid "no
>hands?" Anyone ever done it or seen it done?

Dear H.,

Chinese acrobats are even more infuriating when they get on
bicycles, but this may be what you have in mind:

http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/skids.frame.html#top

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> I was riding home in the beautiful seattle weather today without my
> hands on the handlebars, then reached down to grab them to skid to a
> stop on my fixed gear. And I wondered: is it possible to skid "no
> hands?" Anyone ever done it or seen it done?

Yes, it's a useful messenger technique that allows the rider to give
cars two middle fingers.

-Vee

[email protected] wrote:
> I was riding home in the beautiful seattle weather today without my
> hands on the handlebars, then reached down to grab them to skid to a
> stop on my fixed gear. And I wondered: is it possible to skid "no
> hands?" Anyone ever done it or seen it done?

Yes... a coworker of mine does so. Careful bracing is required. Full-face
helmet is recommended during training... your position is pretty much are
doing a swan dive off the front of the bike.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training