Fixie/SS/Track Crank length for smaller riders

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
I know that crank lengths are very much a topic of contention, so let me assure you that I have done a search already.

Some background info - I am 162cm (5'4") with an inseam of 75cm (29.1"). Plug that into all of the various formulae, and I end up with an ideal road crank length of somewhere between 150 and 167.5. I currently use 165s on my main road bike, and am considering building a fixie for street use (and maybe, just maybe the occasional spin on the velodrome).

Common wisdom suggests that you go shorter for enhanced ability to spin, but most stock cranks on track bikes are 165s, from what I see. It seems that riders normally using anything up to 177.5 on a road bike can only get track bikes that have 165s.

If you're a shorter rider, what has been your experience? Should I be going even shorter than this for fixed riding? Or is 165 short enough?

Any advice or opinions would be helpful!

n

For the use that you propose, I would just get the 165s and see how you like it.

John M said:
For the use that you propose, I would just get the 165s and see how you like it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would, however, like to hear about other shorter riders' experiences, before I go down that route.

n

I have built up many bikes with short cranks. My GF rides a Felt with 165mm, a Giant Upland with 152mm and I built her a Compact 34/50 with 160mm.

I also have a friend with 2 new knees, he has a triple 30/38/48 with 160mm cranks.

I can get, for your single speed, 155, 160, 165mm arms with 5 bolt 110pcd spider. ;)