fixie wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ram, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Ram

    Ram Guest

    I am making a fixie wheel for my mountain bike. Can any of you see an advantage (weight / strenghth)
    to using a disc specific rim as I don't plan of having a rear brake? Perhaps it would just look
    cooler, though I wouldn't have matching wheels...

    Tags:

  2. ram wrote:

    > I am making a fixie wheel for my mountain bike. Can any of you see an advantage (weight /
    > strenghth) to using a disc specific rim as I don't plan of having a rear brake?

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How will you stop?

    > Perhaps it would just look cooler, though I wouldn't have matching wheels...

    Well, you could always put a disc on the front, too!

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ram wrote:
    >
    > > I am making a fixie wheel for my mountain bike. Can any of you see an advantage (weight /
    > > strenghth) to using a disc specific rim as I don't plan of having a rear brake?
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How will you stop?

    He's planning a "fixie", which means a fixed-gear drivetrain. A rear brake is somewhat unnecessary,
    as you can slow the rear wheel by resisting the pedals with your legs (there is no freewheel).

    > > Perhaps it would just look cooler, though I wouldn't have matching wheels...
    >
    > Well, you could always put a disc on the front, too!

  4. Ram

    Ram Guest

    Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ram wrote:
    >
    > > I am making a fixie wheel for my mountain bike. Can any of you see an advantage (weight /
    > > strenghth) to using a disc specific rim as I don't plan of having a rear brake?
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How will you stop?
    >
    > > Perhaps it would just look cooler, though I wouldn't have matching wheels...
    >
    > Well, you could always put a disc on the front, too!

    True, but I'm too cheap to buy a new brake, hub etc. This is going to be an on the cheap project.
    Old battered frame, used parts etc. The only new stuff will be the rear wheel and the front rim.
    I'll probably end up trying my hand at building my own wheels for this. It's about time I learned
    how to do that anyway...

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (ram) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > True, but I'm too cheap to buy a new brake, hub etc. This is going to be an on the cheap project.
    > Old battered frame, used parts etc. The only new stuff will be the rear wheel and the front rim.
    > I'll probably end up trying my hand at building my own wheels for this. It's about time I learned
    > how to do that anyway...

    If it's a cheapie project, don't worry about the rims, unless you've found Uncle Norbert's Secret
    Stash of Disc-only Rims. I'd make the rims match front-to-rear if you can, though.

    A fixed-gear mountain bike, huh? I can beat that- I was riding alongside a fixed-gear recumbent
    this morning.

    Jeff

  6. Ryan Cousineau wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > ram wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am making a fixie wheel for my mountain bike. Can any of you see an advantage (weight /
    > > > strenghth) to using a disc specific rim as I don't plan of having a rear brake?
    > >
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How will you stop?
    >
    > He's planning a "fixie", which means a fixed-gear drivetrain.

    Oh.