Fixie Wheels

monkeyboytony

Jan 9, 2005
does anyone know anything about how good the mavic ellipse wheels or the bontrager aero track wheels are?
im trying to build a fixie and need advice on wheelset.
and by the way, is that khs track frame with the curved seattube, posted earlier on this forum, still for sale?

monkeyboytony said:
does anyone know anything about how good the mavic ellipse wheels or the bontrager aero track wheels are?
and by the way, is that khs track frame with the curved seattube, posted earlier on this forum, still for sale?
Most dedicated track wheels will have 120mm rear spacing. What sort of frame will you be using the wheels in? Modern road frames have 130mm rear spacing, while most mtbs are 135. This is well worth considering before shelling out on some track specific wheels.

Sam

sssamcz said:
Most dedicated track wheels will have 120mm rear spacing. What sort of frame will you be using the wheels in? Modern road frames have 130mm rear spacing, while most mtbs are 135. This is well worth considering before shelling out on some track specific wheels.

Sam
id be using them on a fuji track pro, which is a track frame which im sure u already know

monkeyboytony said:

bontrager makes a mighty nice wheel, albeit a tad expensive. it's a toss-up 'tween that or some suzue disco hubs with mavic open rims, which should be a good 100usd less or better, and though not as aero, quite sporty and spicy.

monkeyboytony said:

I'm thinking of picking those up for my Marinoni. I'll let you know how sweet they are soon. ha
check out this link www.kingzoftheroad.com so fresh!

I scored a rear and a front Mavic Ellipse in two separate eBay deals, which still worked out pretty good with shipping etc. Revived my old fixed hack bike (yes it is questionable whether this bike 'deserves' these wheels) and I've been happily piling on hundreds of fixed training miles the past couple of weeks.

Probably they aren't perfect for the dedicated track setup with the 46mm chainline but on a converted road frame w/ 126mm rear spacing, and with the chainring on the outer position of a road crank (I am also using an old Mavic sealed bb @114mm axle length) the chainline seems OK.

One thing I can say is they make for way better fixed gear training than I used to do, with the option of flipping the rear hub for two gears (currently using pretty low ratios of 44x17 and 44x18) plus a higher ground speed with faster wheels translates into higher leg speed, so big plus there.

Down side, my specially uglified (was "theft-proof") hack bike is no longer an urban pose machine, the wheels are too nice for locking up in the bike racks now.