Fixie wrangling part 4 - more parts in the bits box

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kim, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. Kim

    Kim Guest

    evenen all,

    last time i took the fixie for a spin i found the gearing a bit on the
    short side at 61.5"... so today i amputated the 41T inner gear of the
    double and wangled the chainline to setup the 51x18 for 76.5"!

    what do folks like to run for their fixie commuters?

    cheers,

    kim
    ~ next is better set of bars!

    Tags:

  2. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Currently 46x18 on 700C wheels
    Works for me on the yarra/Gardiners creek trail and the hill to Burwood.
    Previously had 44x16 but found it tended to make me go a little too fast on the bike path.

    Had a great ride this morning, except the front brakes howled. It was great encouragement to practice skipping and skidding.

  3. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    I second the 46x18 on 700c's. the standard seems to be 65 to 75" for city riding.

    PiledHigher

  4. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > evenen all,
    >
    > last time i took the fixie for a spin i found the gearing a bit on the
    > short side at 61.5"... so today i amputated the 41T inner gear of the
    > double and wangled the chainline to setup the 51x18 for 76.5"!
    >
    > what do folks like to run for their fixie commuters?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim
    > ~ next is better set of bars!

    43x16

    --
    Nick

  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > sinus Wrote:
    >> Currently 46x18 on 700C wheels

    > I second the 46x18 on 700c's. the standard seems to be 65 to 75" for
    > city riding.

    I was running 42/16 on 700c's with 165mm cranks, but have upped it to 44/16,
    so ~71 to ~74". I can still get up the hills I want to in Brisbane, and it
    lets me cruise at a decent speed on the flats.

    My parts box is slowly growing, with the addition of an adjustable angle
    poptop stem I'm now planning on grabbing a second set of bars so I can
    switch between drops and horns easily. Anyone have an old set of alloy drop
    bars they'd like to turf? Also, rotating bullhorns 180º makes for an
    interesting upright position for boulevard cruising, pity the knees keep
    taking out the horns.

    Andrew.

  6. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Is there a perceived difference in 1 gear inch? If not, how much of a change in G\I would you notice? I suppose if you where down in the 60’s, added 1 or 2 inches would be hard to notice?

  7. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    On the track people stuff around for 1 inch, my rules of thumb in track territory 80"+ is that one chainring tooth gives you 2" and one cog tooth 6".

    Between races you might change a chainrings to move up or down 2-4" depending on the race, the more finicky will swap a chain and cog to get a smaller jump.

    On the road, I have the one gear recommended to me and work on expanding my acceptable range of cadences.

  8. Koon Yong

    Koon Yong New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2003
    48x18 on 700c wheels. My choice of gearing is dictated by my ability to stop the bike in all conditions, not speed or terrain. I like to feel the control I have over my machine in my legs :)

  9. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    You lot are way too inspirational.
    Time to check out one of my LBSs - the male half has been known to race a fixie in road crits.
    Had a SS as a kid, no need to go there again. If I'm going to go gearless it might as well be the real deal.
    Bike #3.
    Might start by walking DOWN to the end of my street.

  10. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Kim wrote:

    > what do folks like to run for their fixie commuters?

    I find 47 x 18 works well (170 cranks). I can still get up the short steep hills, and don't flail around too much coming back down.

    Cheers,

    Suzy (really gotta put the fixed wheel back together)

  11. endroll

    endroll New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    have drop bars but also in perth, so kind of far...

  12. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Kim wrote:
    >
    > > what do folks like to run for their fixie commuters?

    > I find 47 x 18 works well (170 cranks). I can still get up the short
    > steep hills, and don't flail around too much coming back down.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Suzy (really gotta put the fixed wheel back together)
    >

    > --
    > suzyj

    Mmmmm......I have been running 44 x 15 (79.2") and it seem to be OK. Have
    to work pretty hard on steep uphills but it lets me keep a decent pace on
    the flats.

    Gags

  13. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > suzyj wrote:
    > >Kim wrote:
    > > > what do folks like to run for their fixie commuters?

    > > I find 47 x 18 works well (170 cranks). I can still get up the short
    > > steep hills, and don't flail around too much coming back down.
    > >Suzy (really gotta put the fixed wheel back together)

    =) you building a fixie then?

    > Mmmmm......I have been running 44 x 15 (79.2") and it seem to be OK. Have
    > to work pretty hard on steep uphills but it lets me keep a decent pace on
    > the flats.

    Depending on the weather this mornen I'll probably ride to werk fixed =)

    Went for a big spin around the burbs, mostly slowly, but just getting
    the hang of it! =) swapped over the pedals from my MTB, i'm not ready to
    go clipless or straps yet. need more practices on the trackstand front =)

    cheers,

    Kim

  14. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > Depending on the weather this mornen I'll probably ride to werk fixed =)

    weather was good, a tad cool =)

    ride it at 6am was trouble free for a change! =D

    how come my legs hurt now? huh?

    i commute 3-4 days a week, same route, but not quite the same pace
    this mornen, was a little bit careful about tires that are only
    inflated to 60psi, normally run 120psi on my roadie..

    got some weird looks from other cyclists =) roadies mostly.
    normally don't get any communication from other cyclists,
    but today got thumbs up from a SS MTB rider ... odd.

    oh well, was fun none the less.

    cheers,

    kim