Fixies in San Fran??

Aussie_Al

Jul 24, 2010
My mate just got back from a business trip to San Francisco

He said pretty much every hipster he saw was riding a fixed gear bike?

Say what? Surely in the most "hilly" city in the US guys should at least be riding Mountain Bikes and not bikes with no gears or brakes

Anyone in SF confirm this or is he just pulling my leg?

Aussie_Al said:

Say what? Surely in the most "hilly" city in the US guys should at least be riding Mountain Bikes and not bikes with no gears or brakes

The real question is do they all have spam in their sigs like you?

Aussie_Al said:

Is it possible that what your friend described as "Fixies" were actually Single Speeds with BMX Freewheels?

A Single Speed in SF would be doable if the gearing were suitable for the rider ...
FWIW. I've included a picture of a Single Speed whose gearing should be suitable for riding in SF.
But, managing the descents with a Fixie could be a bit taxing!

BTW. MTBs may have lower gearing than the typical Road bike, but they otherwise aren't ideal for riding on pavement.

yeah could be, could be he said most of them did not look like they had brakes either - which seems pretty crazy in a city like S.F.

I will show him the pic and see what he says - thanks! :)

There will always be a few that ride fixies anywhere. And don't forget that many a person (hipster)has been known to ride their fixie in the flatter sections and walk it elsewhere.

These were the guys who started it all in San Fran, Mash SF.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCPEzdZs5s]YouTube - MASH SF AUSTIN WITH LANCE ARMSTRONG[/ame]

Download the "Mash SF" documentary DVD, as they tour America.

Mash SF (download torrent) - TPB

There's a pretty well established fixie scene in SF.

There are a lot of crazy bike messengers and adrenaline junkies risking their lives in dense traffic and steep hills. Looks like fun! :D

Mojo Johnson said:
There are a lot of crazy bike messengers and adrenaline junkies risking their lives in dense traffic and steep hills. Looks like fun! :D

The guy riding one handed, & drinking from a heineken keg in the other isn't going to around for much longer.

Talk about Rock N' Roll.

The John Bonham of the cycling world.